Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
This whole thread was started by a 16 year old who is legally not allowed to drink. She/He attempted to trick us into helping her/him break the law.
From a purely technical standpoint, you're incorrect about it being "illegal". In the USA, laws about liquor purchase and consumption are deferred to States. Federal code is mute on that subject. On the high seas, a drinking teenager might be breaking a rule of the ship, but he isn't breaking any law. Teens holding liquor at a port might or might not be breaking the law -- it depends on the state.

I feel the same way about them as anybody else who breaks a ships rule. If it doesn't affect me, I don't concern myself with it. I lump the lounge-savers, dress-code-ignorers, and teen drinkers in th same category.

Also I don't see any "trick". The OP never claimed to be older and this forum doesn't have any age limit.

Living and letting others live, Aidan
Welcome to my world it's not true there is no Federal Legislation about underage drinking. The 1984 National Minimum Drinking Age Act is in fact dealing with underage drinking.
It's UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 23 CHAPTER 1 SECTION 158http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...8----000-.html BTW when the OP asked on the adult board about sneaking in booze he/she didn't admit to his/her age because he/she knew no one would reply. It is true the ships have the own results that depend on what ports the go to Eurpoean ports are different. Here is an artcle by Paul Motter on this topic. http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ies-090707.cfm
None of the cruise lines in the artcile have an drinking age of 16. So if a 16 year old boards a ship in Florida they have violated florida law because in 1985 a bill by Carl Ogden passed changing the drinking age from 18 to 21 and bring Florida into compliance with Federal Law. So yes he OP was asking about breaking the law.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Rinker get off my case now I see why you made Admiral here since the first time you joined this web site in Jan 2007 you have posted 2440 times on here in one year and half years. Get a life and quit debating me move on to a different topic already. I think me and the rest of the thieves which you called us ALL for sneaking alittle something on board are oh so tired of you already on this debate. I have my proof and what I said was the truth so get on already its getting old.
Okay now you have me wondering. Are you saying your cruise doubled from last year to this year or has your cruise doubled from like 5 years ago. This is Carnival Cruise Lines right? It's okay to clear up a misunderstanding in communication without getting upset.

Just let us know what your cruise cost last year and what it cost this year. What ship you are on, time of year, and lenght of cruise. Because a cruise can change quite a bit seasonally if last year's cruise was in Feb and this year's cruise is in June or July there will be an increase that is the difference bewteen high season and low season.

For example: inside cabin for a 7 day mexican cruise on Pride is Aug 3 is $1059 The same cruise, same cabin, on the same ship in Oct 12 is $499 and that is a doubling in price but that is because of storms and demand is lower in October.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

You know I can't resist one more thing to say there is a post on the message board started by Ferrangi on July 20, 2008 called PRICES GOING UP???. Thanks Ferrangi and the rest on that post.
Read what alot of people wrote on this post about the prices doubling so I am not alone on this one. OK now I am ending it. Thanks for all the replys.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

On the topic of "sneaking" on alcohol. As I've said MANY times in the past, if the cruise lines really wanted to enforce their "alcohol policy" they would force the cabin stewards to report any bottles they find in the cabins (on threat of dismissal).

Personally I don't see the need for so much alcohol. But thankfully lots of people do, and they kept me in the bar business for 30 years, and allowed me to sell out last year

BUT, there's no need to go through the "theatrics" to bring it on. Pack it in your checked luggage, and it will get delivered to your cabin.

As for pricing. Pricing can move around -UP and DOWN - more quickly than the time it takes to read a message board thread.

It's almost entirely computer generated pricing, depending on the demand or lack thereof on particular sailings. The goal, of course, is to get top dollar for fast selling sailings, and filling cabins on slow selling cruises.

At this particular point in time I find the majority of cruises selling for at least 1/3 less than they were prior to 9/11/01.

Of course there may be the odd exception, but I'd lay odds most long time cruisers would tell you they are paying less today than they used to.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
To compare a cruise to staying in a hotel is ....just silly.
Actually it’s not silly it’s a completely valid analogy. The only difference between a cruise and a hotel stay is your entertainment and food is included in your price with a cruise and your accommodation is mobile.

The fact that your temporary domicile is moving vs. stationary is irrelevant to the argument. And that is precisely what it is, a temporary domicile and they have no right to dictate what I can do in my temporary domicile (aka cabin) any more then the HI Express can stop me from drinking some beer in my room or eating a bag of chips from the 7 Eleven instead of eating and drinking out of their mini bar.

I’m willing to bet there is a maritime law expressing that your cabin is a temporary domicile and you’re entitled to all the rights given any other traveler such as right to privacy etc.

I’m all for people making money but in the last couple years the cruise lines seem to have put a premium on nickel and dimeing folks to recoup money instead of being up front and raising prices to reflect current operating costs. I’m tired of the shell game.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have often compared a cabin to a hotel room in that you should be able to have some beer and booze in there. It was not 5 years ago on Royal Caribbean that you could buy a bottle of liquor in the onboard shop and take it to your cabin. If I stay in a hotel, I always bring some drinks with me. Run down to the liqour store and stock up.

Kuki brings up a very good point. Cabin stewards have always seen my drinks and never say a thing. I bring a small cooler for them to keep full of ice for me. Of course, a little extra tip helps.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
On the topic of "sneaking" on alcohol. As I've said MANY times in the past, if the cruise lines really wanted to enforce their "alcohol policy" they would force the cabin stewards to report any bottles they find in the cabins (on threat of dismissal).

Personally I don't see the need for so much alcohol. But thankfully lots of people do, and they kept me in the bar business for 30 years, and allowed me to sell out last year

BUT, there's no need to go through the "theatrics" to bring it on. Pack it in your checked luggage, and it will get delivered to your cabin.
This is what I'm saying... I'm not hiding the booze in a water bottle or some other disguise... I just packed in my checked luggage, and either it's there when I get my luggage in my cabin, or it is not.
Either way it's okay, because I know that it is up to carnival whether they want to enforce their rules or not...
I'm not holding anything against anyone, if they remove my bottle... It's my fault for trying to bring it on. I got no problem with that. By the way, I've already purchased $100 in drink coupons... and we are each buying our own soda card. Oh yeah, and let's not forget my daily donation to the slots... They will be getting plenty from me for sure.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Passenger

These threads continue to make me laugh.

-Mark
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by strick9
These threads continue to make me laugh.

-Mark
Always glad to help...

Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
Admiral

I remember back in the late 80's on my first Carnival cruise bringing back a case of Modelo to my cabin while in Cabo and my cabin steward saw me in the hallway and asking me if I wanted the sink filled with ice to keep my beer cold. Now that was a treat! Bob
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
I remember back in the late 80's on my first Carnival cruise bringing back a case of Modelo to my cabin while in Cabo and my cabin steward saw me in the hallway and asking me if I wanted the sink filled with ice to keep my beer cold. Now that was a treat! Bob
Last sept my cabin steward brought me a bigger ice bucket for my beer and kept it stock everyday with ice....

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Dave,
That's what I'm talking about....

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Passenger

I didn't have to sneak anything. I got on the boat at Key West with a 12 pk of beer in my backpack. They searched it and said, you better hurry up and get inside or those will get warm, lol. I guess it helps to be a cute girl.
Fascination 2002
Destiny 2008
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtngirl
I didn't have to sneak anything. I got on the boat at Key West with a 12 pk of beer in my backpack. They searched it and said, you better hurry up and get inside or those will get warm, lol. I guess it helps to be a cute girl.
It always helps to be a cute girl...

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Now if I could just find a way to get this onboard

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
The 1984 National Minimum Drinking Age Act is in fact dealing with underage drinking.
It's UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 23 CHAPTER 1 SECTION 158http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...8----000-.html
Federal code doesn't set a drinking age. It specifies how funds will be withheld from states that don't pass laws against purchase and public possession. Many states don't prohibit consumption at any age. Regardless, as I said, a teen drinking on the high seas isn't breaking any law.

Cheers, Aidan
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Quote:
The 1984 National Minimum Drinking Age Act is in fact dealing with underage drinking.
It's UNITED STATES CODE
TITLE 23 CHAPTER 1 SECTION 158http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...8----000-.html
Federal code doesn't set a drinking age. It specifies how funds will be withheld from states that don't pass laws against purchase and public possession. Many states don't prohibit consumption at any age. Regardless, as I said, a teen drinking on the high seas isn't breaking any law. However, it's like cuban cigars and Canadians if you are from Canada you can have cuban cigars. However, you can't bring them into a USA port. If the teenager can get the booze on board without violating state law, then they haven't done anything illegal, maybe I don't know the laws governing a cruise ship.

Cheers, Aidan
I agree with you and that is why a year after the federal made this law Florida changed there age from 18 to 21. Not many states can afford to lose Federal funding for the highways. So the feds were clever in the way they approached this. However, the OP is 16 so name me a US state that you can cruise from that has no drinking age or a drinking age of 16 or below. If the OP is Crusing out of Florida or California the OP is in violation of State law. I'm not sure about Texas, New York, and Lousiana. This question is to the OP were does your cruise start at?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtngirl
It always helps to be a cute girl...
wonder how cute she really is... I may need her next time I go to Key West... hope shes available...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Admiral

I wonder as well since we see no picture. Cute is relative. Too me cute is a skinny little girl. Let's see if she puts up a picture.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've looked over the bon voyage section on carnival's website but I don't see how to order a bar set up. Do you have to call them or can you do it on the website and I'm just missing it. Thanks
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewoman
I've looked over the bon voyage section on carnival's website but I don't see how to order a bar set up. Do you have to call them or can you do it on the website and I'm just missing it. Thanks
It's not on the website you would call the bon voyage dept directly and order the bottles that you want.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Admiral

like goodtngirl i just walked on board with 2 bottles of smirnoff in my backpack. i was rather suprised but hey who am i to complain. (alas a "skinny young thing" is a thing of my past. )

Old July 27th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Passenger

Everyone just needs to be smart about their drink purchases. I drink beer & diet coke only, and on my last cruise, the bar tab at the end of the week was about $300.00....that being said, if I was at home, and was off for a week and was drinking, the tab would be about the same. I am all for getting away with things in these current economic times, but trying to 'smuggle' stuff on board is not worth it!
Just another country heard from here......I have friends who smuggle stuff on board all the time, but I have way too much other stuff to pack & worry about, and I prefer the icecold bud lights on board anyhow!
Caribbean Princess October 2006

Old August 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I gotta tell you, the free fountain water on the ship, next to the fountain juices is some of the best tap water I've ever had. The same goes for the water that the waiters pour for you in the dining room, it's excellent for tap water! I bought a whole 12 pk of bottled water onto the ship and did not open one bottle because Carnival's water was so good!