Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Passenger

Default Swim with dolphins

Do you have to be a strong swimmer to swim with the dolphins or can none swimmers do it too. I noticed people are wearing some form of swim jacket. One of our party would love to do it but cant swim that well.
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

ALL swim with the dolphins make you wear a life jacket. Those who do not know how to swim can just stand around and pass on any activity they do. The dolphin swim/snorkle in Cozume; at Chaankanaab has a platform you stand on and the dolphin trainer does all the work and you just do what he asks you to do. The dolphin encounter will probably be more like you are in the enclosure with the dolphin and you don't do much with the dolphin. The dolphin swim/snorkle was well worth the price of the tour!!!!

Read up on the dolphin tour you want to do to see if it is worth the price. As for your non-swimmers tell them they'll have a life jacket to keep em afloat and maybe they'll have so much fun they want to learn how to swim!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Chankanaab swim is awesome, That entire park is awesome to explore once the swim is done. We had little kids in our group and like said before you stand on a platform the trainers will have you swim out a couple times. Once for a belly ride and then again for the dolphin to give you a to push. Then whoever wants to snorkle can. The life jacket keeps you well afloat and it doesnt take much to swim out a bit for the ride.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM
First Mate

I did the dolphin swim and I can't swim. The life vests keep you afloat.

Also, if you don't want to swim out to the center so you can catch the dolphins' fin, then you just tell them.

I managed to get myself out there, and the "ride" was great.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Passenger

I am doing the dolphin swim in Cozumel. What do we do with our personal items that cant get wet while we are in the water? I dont want them to get lost or stolen. Im thinking about buying a waterproof bag to take with me. Please let me know what you did with your items.

Im also thinking about buying a pair of crocs or other waterproof shoes-- are they comfy with out socks? Im doing the canopy tour at montego, the stingray snorkel at cayman islands, and the dophin swim in cozumel.

Also do the shops take American Money? or do I need to do a currency exchange? Im a bit hesitant to use my debit and credit cards there.

And how much alcohol am I allowed to bring back? I dont care if I have to pay taxes on them, I just want to bring back several bottles (maybe 6). Im in college and its nice to have stash, plus I have really good friends who aren't coming and Id like to get them some neat looking bottles that you can't get here.
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM
First Mate

Andrea I did the swim in Cabo. There, they have a locker facility where you can lock up your clothes and other things.

I did wear water shoes while swimming because I wear a medical compression garment and I needed the shoes. Mike didn't wear any.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Beginner

Pat,

Can you provide more details on the dolphin swim you did in Cabo? Which vendor/outfit did you use and what was the cost per person?

Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Shawn
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM
First Mate

Shawn, we used the ship's tour. It was about $115.00 per swimmer. It's pricey, but we thought it was worth it.

Spectators watch for $10.00. 2007 prices.

There will be a photographer shooting all the pics. Later, you can choose the ones you want, and also put them on a CD. Now, that was pricey !

We chose about 5 pics and the CD, and I think it was about $80.00. My avatar is one of the pics.

I submitted another one, and Cruisemates chose it for "photo of the day".

The place is a short walk from the pier. Youn check in and they assign a color to you. You go to the locker room, change clothes, lock up, and wait for your color to be called.

You are in groups of 6-8 people. The trainer will tell you some info about the dolphins and the swim. Then you shower, go sit in your area and the trainer will explain everything you will do.

Everyone wears life vests, so you never sink under the water, and you don't have to do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. There is a ledge in the pool for sitting.

It's very fun. Next April, I am swimming with sea lions !
Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Pat,

Thank you very much for the information!!!

Was it Cabo Dolphins in terms of the attraction? That is the only one in Cabo I have been able to find when researching.

Please advise and thanks again for all of the details.....Shawn
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Shawn I think it is probably the same one. It is the shore excursion offered by Carnival for Cabo.

I am thinking if you go to their website and click on the shore excursions, you will get the info. Good luck and have fun.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old July 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Beginner

No, you don't have to be a strong swimmer to swim with the dolphins. The life jacket they provide will keep you afloat the whole entire time. You feel quite safe because you are actually in a large rectangular pool. We couldn't touch the bottom of the pool but if I had to guess it was probably 10 ft. deep. Well worth the price and one of the highlights of our cruise!