Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default What was your experience with wi-fi on the Valor?

I saw the below article online - and I want to know for those who have brought their laptops on Valor, did you have any problems trying to get to the internet from anyone on the ship, including your stateroom?

NEW CARNIVAL VALOR FIRST CRUISE SHIP TO OFFER ‘100 PERCENT BOW TO STERN’ WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS
Vessel Features Ship-Wide Wi-Fi ‘Hotspots’ Providing High-Speed Internet Access From Anywhere Aboard New 110,000-Ton ‘Fun Ship’

MIAMI – Carnival Cruise Lines' new cruise ship, Carnival Valor, which is making its U.S. debut in Miami today, is the first cruise ship to offer "100 percent bow to stern" wireless Internet access, providing guests unparalleled opportunities to surf the Web, check e-mail, and obtain stock quotes and news updates from anywhere aboard the massive 2,974-passenger SuperLiner. Carnival Valor sails on its inaugural voyage Dec. 15.

Unlike other cruise ships that have designated Wi-Fi hotspot areas, Carnival Valor will feature ship-wide wireless Internet capability, enabling guests to use laptop computers to access the Internet from every public area, including all lounges, bars and pool decks, as well as any of the ship’s 1,487 staterooms.

“Wi-Fi is a huge consumer trend, appearing in more places than ever and Carnival Valor’s new ship-wide wireless Internet service offers our guests unprecedented convenience and connectivity at sea. This multi-million-dollar investment places Carnival at the forefront of this new technology,” said Bob Dickinson, Carnival president and CEO.

Carnival Valor’s new Wi-Fi system complements the ship’s Internet café, “The Web,” which provides guests with high-speed Internet connectivity via private flat-panel workstations.

The new system works with any Wi-Fi-enabled laptop. Laptops and Wi-Fi cards are also available for rent on board for a nominal fee; charges apply for Wi-Fi connectivity.

Carnival Valor’s new “bow to stern” Wi-Fi system is part of a pilot program that may be expanded to other Carnival ships, all of which currently feature Internet cafes and wireless Internet access in select areas.

The new system, which was installed during construction by Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, was designed by Carnival’s in-house network engineers and San Jose, Calif.-based Cisco Systems Inc. The capability to provide highly secure Wi-Fi access throughout Carnival Valor was accomplished with Cisco Aironet 1230G Series IEEE 802.11b/g Access Points (AP) compliant with the 802.11g 54 mb/s standard. For the ship-wide Wi-Fi Hotspots, Cisco Catalyst® 6509 Series Switches provide switching capability at the core while Catalyst® 3750 Series Switch with Power over Ethernet connect the Cisco Aironet APs to the network.

Carnival Valor debuted on December 17th and sails year-round seven-day cruises from Miami, alternating weekly to the eastern and western Caribbean.
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Captain

We were in room 8282 (I think) and we had our laptops, the wireless was wonderful. We had no problems whatsoever with the connection. Often times I'd take the laptop out on one of the decks, I figured if I had to be working I'd be happier doing it with music and sun and a cold soda while laying back on a lounge chair.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Thank you so much! That makes me feel much better about bringing my laptop on this trip; I didn't bring it on the last one. I don't have to "work" that is, not from my day job, but I'm also a writer so I really wnt to be able to find a quite spot to watch the ocean as a write. Or, as I email everyone back home to send them photos Itake of the setting sun... or the beautiful ocean, or whatever, as I'm out on deck or somewhere on the ship.
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
First Mate

The only use that I have for a computer on a cruise is to download my pictures each night. I am scared that if I was to log on anywhere in the world my job would find me and ask me to come back to work.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old July 11th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Passenger

So what is the cost with logging onto the WI-FI network? My wife is taking classes on-line and I am thinking of booking us a cruise on the Valor.