CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   hole in passport (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/353227-hole-passport.html)

Thoth July 8th, 2008 01:41 AM

hole in passport

Dumb question of the day... :roll:
In April as I was departing San Juan, the TSA agent "accidentally" punched a hole in my passport. I read online all about the evils of mutilated passports and got worried, so I go to the local post office. The guy there told me it looked OK since no information or the photo was affected. Still worried I call the passport office and was told the same thing and was given a number to call just in case I had any troubles. The passport center said "mutilated" implies willingly altering the passport such as numbers, dates, or photos and that mine was classified as normal wear and tear. Therefore I need not a new one for the time being.
I have two cruises booked for next year...so still I worry about problems. Has anyone ever been denied boarding due to such a trivial matter, or is this simply cruise anxiety on my part? :(

mehawk July 8th, 2008 12:19 PM

I have seen worse. If you get the opportunity, I would go ahead and get it replaced. On the other hand, I have seen VERY MUTILATED passports lately. LOL

Thoth July 8th, 2008 05:17 PM

thanks Mehawk !
This passport doesn't expire until 2010 so they might not allow me a new one. I might just look into it though. One concern is getting back into the US. I don't wish spend the rest of my days picking bananas somewhere in the tropics. :roll:

lhp July 8th, 2008 06:25 PM

I can understand your concern...since punching holes in them is how they voided the passports we sent in to be renewed.

I would also carry an original birth certificate....just in case.

misguidedangel July 8th, 2008 08:40 PM

I just applied for a renewal of my Canadian passport and it asks about "dammage." Damage can be anything from torn out pages, scribbling from kids, and punched holes. I would go to your nearest passport office for the official on what is described as damaged and what is not....

I would have asked that customs agent to write on a page the date and that the hole was punched in error. I'd get him to sign and write the agents name in case there is an issue....Alas, it is in the past.....However, if the customs agent said it would be OK, then you can trust his words somewhat....

I wish the Canadian gov't would make our passports valid for 10 years and not five!!!!!

Thoth July 9th, 2008 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I would have asked that customs agent to write on a page the date and that the hole was punched in error. I'd get him to sign and write the agents name in case there is an issue....Alas, it is in the past.....However, if the customs agent said it would be OK, then you can trust his words somewhat....

I thought of that but was rushed through the airport due the airlines changing my flight. I was lucky simply to get on my flight and didn't have time to get a statement from the young woman. Actually she wasn't a customs agent, she was airline security. She attempted to punch my boarding pass and nicked the passport as well.

David West July 9th, 2008 08:42 AM

Nothing like a peace of mind Thoth. Go ahead and take it to an agent , and let him or her look at it. Some Post Offices do passports also, as a second opinon, see what they have to say. Just a thought . :)

David

2Littletime July 9th, 2008 12:11 PM

I don't know if this will help you feel better or not but...A couple of years ago I had my younger daughter's passport in my hand while struggling to balance a stroller and a dish of food and an unhappy young traveller. Well, long story short the passport and the food had an unpleasant get together which left the passport wet, sticky and with a couple of pages that were very crumpled as they dried. I tried to get it replaced but they told me at the passport office that it was "minor" compared to what they had seen in the past and I should save my money and use it for the two more years that it was valid. Many trips later we've never ever had a problem. We've had lots of questions and lots of laughs from customs officers but no one that gave us any grief. Good luck.

mehawk July 9th, 2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth
thanks Mehawk !
This passport doesn't expire until 2010 so they might not allow me a new one. I might just look into it though. One concern is getting back into the US. I don't wish spend the rest of my days picking bananas somewhere in the tropics. :roll:

With the damage to it, they will probably require you to ge ta new one. Best to get it done now than to get to the terminal and be refused boarding.

I have seen many come in to get their passports done because they got to the airport and were refused boarding.

Thoth July 9th, 2008 06:11 PM

Thanks everybody ! :D
Oh as soon as I returned in April I went to the post office and was told "it should be OK" I then called a passport help-line and was told the same thing.
so there.
Now if the guy at the custom's booth would only say the same thing. :-?

mehawk July 9th, 2008 07:47 PM

Exactly!!! What would that customs guy think.

nurseypoo5 July 10th, 2008 06:08 AM

seems if it were just "nicked" as you say while getting boarding pass punched, i'm betting its just fine. If the hole was thru your face, then i'd worry

I had spilled cough syrup on mine before my last cruise and they didnt mention a thing and the syrup was on my face....

Thoth July 10th, 2008 10:55 PM

Thanks ! 8) couch syrup adds to the list of odd things that happen.