Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN EXCURSIONS???????????,

Going to the Southern Carb. in January, two adults, 43, two young adults, 18 & 22. What are the best excursions on each island? Don't want to spend too much for what our kids just think sounds good, we will be on a different island everyday on this cruise. Are there any beaches that are much better than anywhere you could possibly go to on the island? We'll be leaving from Puerto Rico, then going to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Kitts, what do ya do where do ya go?
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Admiral

There are no beaches on Dominica. Your excursions are in the rainforest or falls.

On St. Thomas I went to Coki Beach. Its next to Coral World. It was lovely and you can stand on the beach and the fish come right up to you.

Barbados - I went to Malibu beach. It was the softest sand I've ever stepped on. Absolutely amazing.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat
Default Re: SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN EXCURSIONS???????????,

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman1986
Going to the Southern Carb. in January, two adults, 43, two young adults, 18 & 22. What are the best excursions on each island? Don't want to spend too much for what our kids just think sounds good, we will be on a different island everyday on this cruise. Are there any beaches that are much better than anywhere you could possibly go to on the island? We'll be leaving from Puerto Rico, then going to St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Kitts, what do ya do where do ya go?
In St. Thomas I did the Castaway Girl Catamaran Sail and Snorkel and it was great. This year we just took a taxi to the beach and it was nice too.

Dominica I took a tour through the ship, I think it was the Best of Dominica. It went all over the island and to Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls. I thought the price was worth it. Friends we made did a tour on their own (not sure how they found it) and went to Sari Sari Falls with travel all over the island.

In Barbados we booked a snorkeling tour through the ship.

In Antigua we went to the beach via taxi and it was absolutely beautiful.

St. Kitts my friends found a party bus that took them all over the island for $15 with all the rum punch they wanted. You don't have to drink. It was a very brightly colored bus "The Elvis Party Bus." The island is gorgeous. As you walk down the pier you'll find lots of tour operators that can accomodate your needs (and cheaper than the ship).

Whatever you do just make sure they have you back on time! Good luck
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Most of these islands you can arrange your own excursions. Do some homework before you go. We did a mix of activities some with the ship some on our own. Might even let go different directions from you kids a couple of times - though with the 18 yr-old might keep them connect to a formal excursion so they don't lose track of time.

St. Thomas - took a taxi to Magens Bay - beautiful
Dominica - Did ship excursion to the aerial tram. Pretty incredible, don't know if it would hold the YAs
Barbados - Took the Altantis sub - very nice but didn't get to see much of the rest of the island
Antigua - took a taxi tour very good
St. Kitts - took a taxi tour, not so good - drivers fault not St Kitts

My take away from the Antigua/St. Kitts issue is that if you are arranging a taxi tour on your own, make sure the well spoken person you are talking to is going to be your driver. We got hit with sort of a bait and switch manuver that should have caused us to bail on the tour.

Check out the Destinations section of the forum too.

BTW fly into San Juan early so you can enjoy it

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Admiral

A few years ago, we did a jungle safari tour in Barbados. Saw most of the island and had a ball. Very hard on my back and others were complaining, but worth every twinge!
Marty