Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Zipline Anyone ???

We are going on Legend Sept 14 and we are wanting to do a Zipline Excursion. Need to know if anyone has a suggestion as to which Port, Belize or Roatan would be best. ??

Also is it better and safer to book this type of tour with the Cruiseline or look into a private company ?? Is it safe and would we need to bring any special clothes and also do we need to bring bug sprays ??

My Family is concerned that bugs and spider bites are a problem in the rain forest. Any feedback would be great as we really want to do this but as safely as possible . Carol
Voyager -Nov09
Celebrity Summit - Jan09
Carnival Legend - Sept08
Serenade of the Seas - Feb07,May09
Celebrity Infinity - Aug06
Adventure of the Seas - Feb08,Jan06,Sept06
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Passenger

We tried to go ziplining in Roatan. We hired a Victor Bodden tour guide. He took us to the zip line first thing in the morning, we paid for it and then left to go see the iguana farm and eat lunch and shop. When we came back they still weren't ready for us. They told us to go wait for them at the first platform so we walked down a steep incline in the jungle (no bug bites!!) to the first platform and waited some more. Finally after about another hour of waiting we hiked back up from the first platform and went to get our money back. There were several unhappy tourists there that had been waiting since morning for their zipline tour. Of course this could have been a fluke since other people have been happy with Victor Bodden tours and the zipline experience, but I personally would not recommend it.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

That's exactly what i was concerned with if i booked it privately . I think i'll just consider booking through the Ship and pay the extra $$. We were more looking at doing it in Belize rather than Roatan .

Any other Zipline people out there ????

This is my first time doing this and am really excited to try it...Thanks
Voyager -Nov09
Celebrity Summit - Jan09
Carnival Legend - Sept08
Serenade of the Seas - Feb07,May09
Celebrity Infinity - Aug06
Adventure of the Seas - Feb08,Jan06,Sept06
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Passenger

My boyfriend and I booked a canopy tour in Montego bay (I think) It features a zipline! Im excited I cant wait!

I was shopping at walmart and I saw a bug spray patch. Instead of sticky lotion or messy spray you can just wear a patch. Has anyone seen this or tried this? The package says its vitamin B based and its all natural and Deet free-- Im guessing its safe, but Id feel better if it was a brand I recognized. Has anyone tried the bracelets?
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Admiral

We did a zipline in Cozumel but not anywhere else.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Beginner

I did a Zipline in Maui in June. Booked privately. It was awesome! No need to bring anything extra. Wear closed toed shoes, a must. This is for landing on the platform. They gave us fanny packs to use to put our cameras in. I am so afraid of heights. To tell you the truth I was only scared when I waited on the last line and went towards the end of the group. This was our 5th line. What happeded was people were not so scared at the end, so jumped up in line. Get up and go as soon as possible. I would do this again in a heartbeat!
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Admiral

It is fun! 8)

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
First Mate

My husband did it in Roatan, and absolutley loved it, we did not book ahead just went off the ship up to a little house on the road and asked to take him zip lining, it was $ 45.00, there was about 6 of them together in a group that also booked last min, and the guides stayed right with them.
Then dropped them off at the beach the women were at waiting for them.
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dear rjsmom & all:

We have done the zip line in Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Coral Princess in 2006 & Carnival Liberty in 2008). Both times we booked the excursion through the ship.

Before our first zip trip in 2006, we were very concerned about bugs. We never had a problem. We wore suntan lotion with bug repellent in it. We wore long shorts or pants and athletic socks and shoes. I was amazed to see fellow passengers in tank tops, shorts and sandals!

On the Coral Princess, we had dinner companions that just walked off the ship in Limon, Costa Rica and asked the taxi driver to take them to a zip line. Yes, it was half the price that we paid and they had a blast.

I have posted clips of my family on zip lining on YouTube:

[/img]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TsBfKQq63ZE

On the videos, you can see the type of clothing our children (19 & 17) wore, as well as what the tour guides are wearing (t-shirt, long pants, hiking boots) for examples. The less flesh exposed, the better as you walk amongst the trees, bushes and plants.

Bon Voyage!