Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
One checked and one carry on per person should do it

Agree. And you have have the option of self debarkation this way as well.
Yes, and it is easy. A garment bag with your clothes for the carryon and the other bag to be checked with for the other stuff that won't fit in the garment bag.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wifeneedsto see these responses, thanks everyone!!
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

My problem is all the 'extra what if's' I bring medication and treatments for any ailment. Might have to downsize that! Its ashame what the airlines have come to! I havn't started packing yet, but I pray I can get it into one bag each - however going to Alaska may be hard because its pants and long sleeve stuff instead of shorts and tanks.
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West
Default Re: One suitcase... 7 day cruise,no way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman1986
With the new charges for the 2nd bag, how do you get everything in one suitcase, and not have the first piece of luggage in out overweight on a 7 day cruise?? [/code]
Check with your airline. I was thinking it was (1) per person on the luggage.

When the wife & I fly out next week for MIA, we'll have 2 checked, one each, and 1 carry on. Thats it
This will be for a 7-day cruise, +2 extra days in Miami.

Happy sailing to all;
david
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Try 2 weeks in Italy with ONE bag!!

At least they allowed it to be 70 pounds instead of 50 back then.

I never thought I could do it...but I survived!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm finding packing for one week in Alaska is tricky, more to pack than going to the Caribbean, UGH!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: One suitcase... 7 day cruise,no way!

Quote:
With the new charges for the 2nd bag, how do you get everything in one suitcase, and not have the first piece of luggage in out overweight on a 7 day cruise?? [/code]
I've done a 7 day cruise in a carry-on and I'm going on a 8 day with a carry on.

Mix and match. 1 formal outfit (cocktail dress) sea days your in a swim suit and not much else except dressing for dinner. It can be done. I promise.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old August 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Admiral

I have made some other minor adjustments to go to less luggage. Bought small, sturdy ziplocks at WalMart, designed for med's. I use those instead of plastic bins, especially for OTC's. I also put one day's worth of prescription med's in one bag each rather than taking large bottles. Take paper copies of the actual prescriptions in a reduced font size if I need proof that they are legit med's.
Makeup kit is miniature, sample sizes mostly. I don't see any need to put on make up every time I leave the cabin, though some do. I use an aloe lipstick for daywear and only do the whole deal on dressy nights.
I have also cut back on jewelry, never wear hose anymore and my formal outfits are no longer the fancy dress with matching shoes, purse, etc. I have a couple of dressy purses, one each of black, gold, and white. I make sure that I only need to take one of those, along with one pair of shoes for any and all formal nights.
Over the years, I have accumulated some glitzy, fancy stuff that takes up a minimum of space. Poncho/pashima style tops that can go over a silk tank. I can put an entire outfit for formal night in a small purse!
Of course, now I also have a closet full of really dressy clothes that never get worn anymore. I just love them to much to get rid of them.

Marty
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Admiral

My sis and I were taking one checked and one carry on... but after laying out our stuff, we may have to re-think it....
It's not so much the clothes as it is, the shoes, medications and misc items, etc...

Last year on a 4 day cruise, we each had one checked and one carry on.... but the time we were able to get in cabin... we were so tired of lugging those carry ons around.... we'll take our chances this going around by checking as much as possible...
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
My sis and I were taking one checked and one carry on... but after laying out our stuff, we may have to re-think it....
It's not so much the clothes as it is, the shoes, medications and misc items, etc...

Last year on a 4 day cruise, we each had one checked and one carry on.... but the time we were able to get in cabin... we were so tired of lugging those carry ons around.... we'll take our chances this going around by checking as much as possible...
I'm thinking of taking a train to Los Angeles when I cruise on the Splendor in April. Baggage is not as restricted as on an airline. And I'll get to see some of the beautiful coast on the way home. It will be dark on the way there..

To conserve space neatly fold then tightly roll cloths. And, use all space pack undies socks and such inside of shoes. Remember if you are not comfortable in it at home you won't wear it on vacation no matter how cute the outfit is.

Hugs,
Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old August 14th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Admiral

or just use your AX card and purchase all your clothes at the port and then ship them back at the end of your cruise
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

We each take a large suitcase along with one carryon on the way there. Coming home we will need another carryon because we will be bringing boose home in the large suitcases. I have learned to pack light, and use the laundry if needed. I just purchased another large light wight case and we do have a scale we carry in our carryon's as well. Lynn
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Admiral

What kind of scale are you talking about and how much does it weigh?
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Admiral

We travel with a luggage scale. It was $10 at a luggage store and we have seen them at Target. They are very handy and remind me of a hand held fish scale. They are small enough to fit in a quart zip lock bag.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last cruise we went on, it took one small suitcase just to bring the snorkling gear and beachware.
Old August 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can the containers larger then this damn 3 ozs. go into the check in, I'm really gettin' tired of this crap!! Bring back the ol' days.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Captain

Quote:
Can the containers larger then this damn 3 ozs. go into the check in, I'm really gettin' tired of this crap!! Bring back the ol' days.
Doesn't matter about the container size when it is checked in. However larger bottles do add to excess weight and does count.

Carol
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We normally take an empty bag for the things we buy while on vacation. What about that??
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
We normally take an empty bag for the things we buy while on vacation. What about that??
I do that too. especially a fold up one that I can tuck into my suitcase. But remember coming home on a plane you get 1 carry-on and 1 personal item like a purse or laptop. You can check a 2nd bag but they do charge. I would check with the airlines website before you leave to make sure what the current bagage rules are. Have an awesome trip.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Be sure to watch that weight restriction, coming home yesterday on UAL, they charge $125 if over 50 pounds...We had one over and one under by a pound, so had to transfer things to make them under 50 pounds.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Is it me, or are my wife and I the only ones that bring an empty suitcase just for the stuff we buy on these island cruises?? One suitcase is impossible!!
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Is it me, or are my wife and I the only ones that bring an empty suitcase just for the stuff we buy on these island cruises?? One suitcase is impossible!!
Well with 1 checked and 1 carryon plus your personal item that is actually 6 pieces of luggage. You may just want to get a suitcase scale they are portable and easy to use. They kind of look like a fish scale. You should be fine
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
3-Carnival Glory
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Traveling Light

If my girl can do it, you can, too!

We went on a week-long cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Panamá, Costa Rica and Belize, then flew to Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Cedar Rapids and back to Syracuse, New York, where I lived, with only our carry-ons.

Then she returned to Virginia, where she lives!
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SherryBabie

This is a funny topic, before they changed the airline baggage rules, I had a hard time fitting everything I needed. I bring a HUGE suitcase (17 lbs.) and a large one and carry on one. I cannot for the life of me figure out how you can travel so lite!

If somebody out there has the secret formula of what to bring without running out of clothes, I'd appreciate it! My husband & I do have a plan. We are bringing one suitcase each (check in) and bringing a duffle bag for everything we buy. It will be worth the 25.00 to carry everything back. There is NO way I can fit everything into one suitcase, and all the junk we buy.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

After reading all of the posts, I'm really starting to think, this really can be done with one bag. I feel like I'm in AA or something...NO,I've never been. Thanks for sharin' ya'll.
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Captain

The next time we go to Europe (Nov. 2009) I plan to take only a carry-on bag. We'll be on Carrnival, so we can wash our clothes as often as necessary. Hauling luggage around Europe can be a major hassle. We've been on so many cruises now that we don't go to the dining room much anymore, so that cuts down a lot on clothes. We met a guy on our last cruise who travelled with only a backpack. So, it can be done!!!
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like the idea of vaccum bags getting there, but where does the vaccum come from coming home?
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carry Ons Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
The next time we go to Europe (Nov. 2009) I plan to take only a carry-on bag. We'll be on Carrnival, so we can wash our clothes as often as necessary. Hauling luggage around Europe can be a major hassle. We've been on so many cruises now that we don't go to the dining room much anymore, so that cuts down a lot on clothes. We met a guy on our last cruise who travelled with only a backpack. So, it can be done!!!
My girl and I went on our last cruise, as well as to L.A., Las Vegas, Salt Lake City and Cedar Rapids, and back to New York (and then on to Virginia for her) with only carry-ons, and we went to the dining room every night but one. And she wore something different each night of the week, including several gowns. My girl is amazing!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ginnyanne Send a message via Yahoo to ginnyanne

Quote:
I like the idea of vaccum bags getting there, but where does the vaccum come from coming home?
Space bags has bags that you can roll or vaccuum. They also make Travel Bags which is what we just bought. They have 2XL and 2 Med bags in there that you can roll. They were only about 13 bucks so we'll see how they work.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Question?? Won't the space bags add to the weight??
[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=11&year=2011&day=30&hour=16:00[img]Carnaval Freedom