Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival VS Royal Caribbean

I am thinking of booking another cruise in April. I have done one carnival cruise, and am booked for a second over Christmas. I would like some input on which cruise line is better from those who have done both cruise lines. I am thinking of booking on the freedom of the seas.
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hands down, do Freedom of the Seas, awesome ship.. There is so much to do onboard, great entertainment, food, service. I've done both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and I find Royal Caribbean is just a bit better for me. It all depends on what you like in a cruise, but honestly, you can't go wrong with Freedom of the Seas.

The waverunner is a gas! Be sure to give it a try, it looks easier than it actually is. Even if you don't try it, sit down and watch for awhile.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Donna is correct,,,if you like a lot of activities like the rock wall, and the flow rider. I agree that there are a lot of activities aboard RCI, but there are also a lot of people aboard that ship. Way too many IMO. Perhaps I've just been unlucky to get poorly manages ships, but I've always found the crowds to be overpowering aboard the large RCI ships. I do however LOVE the smaller RCI ships. In any case, by all means, give "Freedom" a shot. You may just find that it's your cup of tea.

Ken
"Sky"
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Freedom of the Seas! 8) 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

I have sailed both cruise lines and I would recommend RCCL. I abslolutey loved the Liberty OTS.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

It sounds like they want you to do RCI. If you want sporty activites--go with them. If you want massive crowds and a monster of a ship--go with RCI.

I just booked Carnival Freedom. I am not into sporty activity and a ship that fits over 5000 people is too damn big for me!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As much as these Royal Caribbean ships are huge and hold a lot of cruisers, I've never felt that crowded feeling I felt on a much smaller Carnival ship. I think its the way the public areas are layed out all over the ship. Even in the buffet, they have stations, never waiting in lines, same as when getting on or off the ship. I must say, I'm always amazed that there are never areas that are over crowded on these ships.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Admiral

If you look down you will see a brunch of carnival cruises. All I have to say is

"FREEDOM OF THE SEAS"
I'm a west coast cruiser and I don't fly to port I can't get to the FOS without an airplane. none of the carnival ships have ice shows, flowrider, wall climbing wall, or promanede cabins.

FINALLY! RCL is bring us the Mariner of the seas. But Florida is still hogging the rest of the good RCL ships.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on both cruise lines.

Carnival is for college students like me.
Royal caribbean has great food, the rock wall, and the waverunner.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival VS Royal Caribbean

We've been on 26 Carnival & 13 Royal Caribbean cruises and my choice hands down is Carnival. Definately go on Freedom of the Seas - we enjoyed the ship Sept of 2006 and it is for sure worthwhile! And while I'm sure we will sail with RCI again my heart is with Carnival. The prices are better, the rooms are bigger, we are treated better and the "perks" of being a past guest on Carnival FAR outweigh those of RCI. Plus I enjoy the waiters dancing at night in the dining room (corny as it as, especially after seeing it so many times - "all your bags are packed, you're ready to go...") and we went in January this year on Explorer of the Seas and they didn't. I think we all have to try the ships ourselves & see if its a fit - but whatever we encounter - we have fun!!!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I've cruised both, and will cruise both in the future. Absolutely, book Freedom of the Seas for the experience!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think that Royal Caribbean is just a step above Carnival, a bit more classy, then glitzy,,,but, I can never seem to get as great a deal on Royal Caribbean as I can with Carnival..Maybe someday we will do another R.C. cruise
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Passenger

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE TAKEN "ONE" CARNIVAL AND PROBABLY WOULD NEVER GO AGAIN. OUR FAVORITE SHIPS ARE RC AND CELEBRITY AND EVEN PRINCES. PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE FREEDOM....YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Passenger

I JUST READ WHERE SOMEONE PREFERS CARNIVAL OVER RC. I KNOW CARNIVAL IS CHEAPER AND THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT! WE WENT ON CARNIVAL LEGEND 4 YRS AGO AND THE FOOD WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE....ENTERTAINMENT WASN'T GOOD EITHER....IT SCARES ME TO EVEN THINK ABOUT ANOTHER CARNIVAL CRUISE.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Admiral

It depends on what you want in a cruise vacation.

If you like a lot of interaction with other passengers, no one beats Carnival. If you are looking for a ship that allows you to enjoy yourself without having to meet or interact with many passengers, then RCCL is the one. If you like group activities, then Carnival wins hands down.

If the buffet layout is a deal breaker, RCCL wins with their buffet layout. Same with their breakfast and desserts. If the overall taste of the food is the deciding factor then Carnival wins.

I have cruised on 3 RCCL ships and 10 Carnival. I am a people person who likes the rah rah rah of Carnival and their shows and activities. I found RCCL to have a whole lot less passenger comraderie and most of their activities (rock climbing, ice skating, waverunner, mini golf) do not require the passengers to interact. Also the layout of the RCCL lido decks provide for this sense of separation.

I love the larger Carnival ships but found the larger RCCL ships (NOTS/VOTS) to be TOO large. Way too much space between elevator banks and everything seem to be on opposite ends of the ship with nothing in between.

They major shows are not nearly as elaborate as Carnival but then again, Carnival does not have also budget for ice shows which may explain the scaled down stage shows.

To be honest I found RCCL ships to be a bit pretentious. They carry the same exact demographics as Carnival but seem to be making a disappointing attempt to try to be an upscale cruise, which they are not.

As for service, I found Carnival to be a lot more customer service/keep you happy oriented. Carnival just does this in a very folksy manner. I found RCCL's passenger service to be sorely lacking.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
It depends on what you want in a cruise vacation.

To be honest I found RCCL ships to be a bit pretentious. They carry the same exact demographics as Carnival but seem to be making a disappointing attempt to try to be an upscale cruise, which they are not.

As for service, I found Carnival to be a lot more customer service/keep you happy oriented. Carnival just does this in a very folksy manner. I found RCCL's passenger service to be sorely lacking.
I wholeheartedly agree!! The staff on Carnival ALWAYS make me feel like I'm family - like I belong there!

And also have you noticed - the last few RCCL trips we have taken, when we are laying out on deck - we have to hunt down something to drink. No water/punch/tea near the pools.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:21 AM
First Mate

We have sailed Carnival twice and RCCL once...so far.

I will agree Carnival's food is better in the dining room but we enjoyed the Windjammer much more as a buffet, any time of day. We also had a blast at Johnny Rockets, something not to be missed!

Since we cruise with two kids (ages 9 and 6) we found they loved Ocean Adventure hands down to Carnival's facilities. We couldn't get them to leave! I'm not one to leave my kids onboard during port days but this cruise we did and not by our choice!

We also enjoyed the activities RCCL offered. The ice skating, inline skating, rock wall, mini golf etc were awesome offerings!

We booked a suite (Cat 11 and 12 on Carnival and Grand Suite on RCCL) as we do on every cruise and loved the fact that RCCL had REAL upolstery instead of the vinyl Carnival does on their furniture. Nice soothing colors (blues, tans etc) not orange!

We do like the size of Carnivals cabins, ya just can't beat em there! Also Carnival has more room to store luggage than RCCL, at least in our experience. The closet space is larger on Carnival also.

We also prefer to do our own laundry instead of paying out the wazoo like we did with RCCL. Yes it was nice to have pressed shirts but they were stiff as boards and uncomfortable to wear. At least on Carnival we have the option of doing our own and we've found the nicest folks in the laundry room!

Yes you pay more for RCCL but you pay for what you get. The RCCL ship we were on wasn't as Vegas at the Carnival ships. "Classier" I guess would be a good word to use.

Pros and cons with each line. Ya gotta try em to see which one YOU like best.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old July 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Passenger

I will start out by saying that to date we have only cruised 2 times but have 2 more booked before the end of the year.
A few months ago I called RCC to have them send me booklets on their cruises (planning Aruba next year) and when I was asked the ???? have you cruised with us, the answer was no, then he asked if I cruised before and when I said yes, he asked on what cruise line and I replied "Carnival" and the man said to me "I'm sorry" and I thought that was horrible. I decided to call them last nite to get the pricing for a 3rd person because we are taking our 28 yr old daughter with us (her hubby will be in Iraq for the 2nd time next year) and talked to one of their vacation planners. I was asked the same ??? except this time when I said "Carnival, the rep said "WHY????" so my answer to him was....."Well, they offered a cruise for the International Police Assoc. and I had never cruised before, nor had our friend's wife so we decided to brave it together and had I NOT gone on that cruise I would not be calling you NOW getting prices from you" All he could say was "I guess you are right (very timidly I might add).
I could forgive one rud person but not 2. That is just a reflection of the cruiseline IMO. I am going to definitely book with Princess now and I am pretty sure my opinion will not change and I will avoid RCC at all costs.
Deb
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Wow Deb, I'm sorry.

However, the attitude of people who answer the phones and those on the ship are totally different in my opinion.

We really enjoyed the employees on the ship. They were always smiling, ready to help with anything and joking around with the passengers.

I hope you enjoy any future cruising!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Thanks Dottie!
The bad thing about this is that their attitude is going to stick with me for a while! (I am very stubborn just ask hubby and my kids!!!) I really wanted to take one on Princess, RCC, possibly NCL and the others. Not too sure about HAL...have heard is is more "elderly" (not that hubby and I are spring chickens - 51 & 67 - but we still like to have interesting things to do and lively entertainment and I am not sure what HAL has to offer in those depts.

Deb
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

After calling RCL and getting a quote of $3900 US, including flights from Halifax, I asked how much in Canadian funds, and they quoted me $4500. With the current exchange rate the price should have been $3977. They tried to rip me off for $500 on the exchange. Needless to say, I will never consider them again.
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanicans

I JUST READ WHERE SOMEONE PREFERS CARNIVAL OVER RC. I KNOW CARNIVAL IS CHEAPER AND THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT! WE WENT ON CARNIVAL LEGEND 4 YRS AGO AND THE FOOD WAS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE....ENTERTAINMENT WASN'T GOOD EITHER....IT SCARES ME TO EVEN THINK ABOUT ANOTHER CARNIVAL CRUISE.
Oh see now I have to defend Carnival. We went on Carnival Freedom and the food was terrfic lots of different food choice thoughtout the ship. My hubby loved the deli and I loved the fish and chips. Marcus Anthony was great(R & B singer) and I loved the shows Ticket to ride and The Big Easy. Since your cruise was 4 years ago it could be they have improved in this area. My cruise was April 26, 2008- May 10, 2008. Only the diet pumpkin pie was really bad.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Captain

I've been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess. I see very little difference in any of them. I've had a great time on every cruise I have taken. I don't think you can go wrong taking any of these cruiselines.

I plan to try other lines in the future.

Libragirl
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Passenger

I too love Carnival, even tho I have nothing to compare it to. I have not had a bad meal on the 2 ships we have been on. The food is fantastic (and I AM a picky eater) so for me to be happy is a big plus!
I am almost positive that I am going to book with Princess to go to Aruba next year instead of RCC. Those were my only 2 choices but after what happened the other day, I had my mind made up for me!

I think Carnival caters to all ages and is very good at it. There is always something going on and even if you want quiet, it is easy to find that too!

We have a good friend who has only cruised RCC and she absolutely loves it, which is the reason I wanted to sail with them so bad......I wish they did not talk bad about other cruise lines tho......that attitude bothers me!

Deb
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
First Mate

If we all liked the same thing then there would be only one cruise line. For me Carnival is hands down the better of the two. Rock wall, only open a few hours a day ,Ice skating even less, Explorer of the seas didn't have a wave runner so no comment. Food good but little variety. Atrium beautiful but mostly wasted space during debarkation. Ice show was without a doubt worth the time. Carnival does have a more festive atomosphereand more glitz. Both lines have pros and cons. Try them all then decide what is best for you. above all get out there and see the world from a cruise ship, no matter the line.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Familiar Face

done both. RC ships are way better, but Carnival pricing is way better. to me food on Carnival is better and too many people on the big RC ships. can't get a deck chair
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Billt
With 16 cruises to your credit I admire you. One Question, you say RCL is the best but you have only been on 3 of their cruises and the latest have been on Carnival, WHY?
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Familiar Face

said RC ships are better, but between the better pricing on Carnival and liking the food better, I will stick with Carnival. I can do more on Carnival for a lot less money.
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
After calling RCL and getting a quote of $3900 US, including flights from Halifax, I asked how much in Canadian funds, and they quoted me $4500. With the current exchange rate the price should have been $3977. They tried to rip me off for $500 on the exchange. Needless to say, I will never consider them again.
Canadians should rarely book their cruises in Canadian dollars. Book with your credit card , in US dollars if you want an exchange rate that's even close.

On the subject of RCI VS Carnival. I think RCI builds some of the most beautiful ships, but I think Carnival offers an overall better product, and certainly better value.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Thanks for clearing that up Billt. If I had read more carefully I would not have had to ask. Cruise ON
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"