Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict
Default cruising with an infant - questions

Hi -
A friend of mine is about to book a cruise for her and husband and baby girl who will be about 17mos old at the time of the cruise.

She's wondering whether she will be required to have a carseat for any bus or taxi rides on excursions. And I'm sure she has many other similar questions. We could benefit from the advice of anyone who has cruised with an infant or knows how a similar situation was handled.

THANKS A MILLION!

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Captain

Good Morning!

In my opinion cruising is a fantastic family experience even with infants. 17 months old is a great age. We have cruised many times with our kids even when they were little like this. Carnival makes it easy to cruise as a family.

We always took carseats, and we continue to drag around booster sits and will do so until our kids can travel safely without them. I'm not sure about your itinerary but here are some of my thoughts:

In Mexico we attempted to rent a car, the only ones left despite our reservations had no rear seat belts and therefore no place to buckle a carseat. We took the carseat back to the ship and used the buses.
In Grand Cayman, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and San Juan we rented cars, had no problems with our child safety seats.

On other islands many of the taxis even allowed us to leave the safety seats in the taxis while we explored and they were waiting for us when we returned. No issues at any time.

We always use our child safety seats, as a matter of love not necessary of law. I think you'll find most of the islands have fairly slack or even non existent laws where carseats and booster seats are concerned. Our the few ship excursions that we did there were little kids with no seats but where there were buckles our kids always had their seats.

Does this help?
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

Yes, thank you 2LT!

Since she is cruising from a "drive-to" port rather than flying, she is now planning to take a carseat, a stroller, etc. We'll keep researching the subject and I'm sure the family will have a great time!

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Beginner

When my son when on his first cruise he was about 20 months old. It was a great experience for him and us. Our first cruise was on Royal. The staff was overly nice to him. Many of the staff was away from there families too and they enjoyed playing with him. There was hardley a staff member that passed by that did not stop to play with him or wink or smile at him. It was great. Also they had a play group each day for him for an hour or so. One thing that did bother me is they do not allow children who are not potty trained to use the pool, even if they have a swimmie on. This was annoying. I would let her know that the rooms are not very big. Otherwise it was wonderful.