Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What Should the drinking age be on board a cruise ship leaving a US port?
The Drinking age should be 16 years old 2 3.57%
The Drinking age should be 18 years old 20 35.71%
The Drinking age should be 21 years old 27 48.21%
The Drinking age should be 39 years old 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Default What should the Drinking age be?

Well, since the sneaking alcohol on board thread was started by a 16 year old. It made me wonder what do you feel the drink age on board? I can just be out of touch with the rest of the world by thinking 16 is young. So that's take a vote.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I was torn between 18 or 21, but voted 21. Oh well.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If I own the bar, the drinking age should be 7
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Beginner

Just my 2c worth.

If someone is legally allowed to go to war at 18 I think they should be allowed to have a drink.

Col
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Drinking age should be what is set now - 21. However, if you are active in the military and since can legally go to war to fight for your country - that leagl limit should be 18.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
If I own the bar, the drinking age should be 7
I can just see all those second graders filing into "Kuki's Bar and Grille" at lunchtime.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

It was 18 in Florida when I was 18 and then I was grandfathered in when it changed to 19 and then 21.

Until very recently on RCI it was 18 for beer and wine only. I thought that was a good policy.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeam
Just my 2c worth.

If someone is legally allowed to go to war at 18 I think they should be allowed to have a drink.

Col
I have to agree, that if active military, the age should be 18,,,otherwise 21. The first time I reenlisted in the Marine Corps, I had served only 3 years, and was 20 years old. The reenlistment officer commented that I'd probably go to the club and have a few drinks to celebrate. He was shocked when I reminded him that I wasn't old enough to drink! (I'd already been to Vietnam, and served 3 years)

Ken
"Sky"
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Admiral

I put 18 myself I figure if you are old enough to vote you need a drink.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeam
Just my 2c worth.

Col
I 100% agree, in fact that was ver similar to what I was thinking... how ever I don't think 18 is old enough to go off to war... kids barely out of highschool, barely old enough for a drivers license... they are sending off the war...
In my opinion... you should not be able to join the service until you are 21 and therefore was you join yes you would be old enough to drink. *smile*
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

That is a good point and I tend to agree. 18 year olds are not even full grown yet. Times are different now than when 18 was the norm to go to war. 18 used to be middle aged.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default No Age Limits

I don't think there should be any age limits for anything. If I woke up one day, and discovered that I was the Emperor of the Universe, with a police force eager and able to enforce any laws I made, my first two laws would be:

1. No one gets to make any laws that don't apply to them.
2. No laws may be based on age or date of birth.

If you can handle the job, handle it. If you're old enough to commit the crime, you're old enough to do the time - or be executed, or endure whatever punishment applies.

I'm a firm believer in corporal and capital punishment. These punishments are inexpensive, yet effective. Of all the countries I've been in, the one that struck me as the safest and most honest was the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, where they maim and behead criminals.

BTW, I'm in the military, currently serving in Iraq, and I admire V.U.M.S. (Veterans of Under-Age Military Service). I think people should be allowed to serve their country and consume alcohol no matter how young or old they are.

A couple years ago, when it was discovered that about a fourth of the people drinking alcoholic beverages in Texas were minors, studies were done and documentaries aired, and the one thing I remembered from any of those documentaries was that the two countries with the highest legal drinking ages were the two countries with the most alcohol-related problems/incidents. Those two countries, btw, are the U.S. and Russia.
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

old enough to vote + old enough to go to war = old enough to drink, that was my vote

but as the parents of a 22 and 24 year olds that i though we had a very good handle on, and now hearing the stories i am glad it was not easier for their friends to get their hands on more!

if i had to vote today on the issue, i would pass the choice on to the parents of the 18 to 20 year olds. and anyone who thinks that the 16 to 20 year olds are not drinking now had better look around and rethink that.

teach, talk, and keep an eye on your kids!!
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

I think 65 would be a good age, no one should be allowed to drink that nast stuff!
Since I'm over 65, well then bring it on! ROFL
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

I voted 18. In mexico they dont really care so all people under 21 can get completely wasted in mexico. As far as on the ship I have seen teens buy alc from someone thats 21. But honestly legally to buy it I think it should be 18. Either way they are still going to drink. I dont drink but alot of teens think its necessary to have a good time, being that I have different opinions than them we dont always get along. Just another opinion. =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Passenger

With 28 years of military service and still counting I have to agree with those that support the ideal that anyone serving his or her country in the military should be allow the privlege of being able to consume alcohol if they wish. After all, they're protecting those who insist we can't take care of ourselves and only the government can.
Carnival Elation - Jan 2010
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm all for a younger drinking age than the current 21 simply because I know there are mature, responsible young people out there. At the same time, I want to see people of every age held accountable for their actions. If a 16 year old gets drunk and something bad comes from that, then the 16 year old should accept the responsibility. If he/she has to "run to Daddy" to bail them out, then they have no business drinking. The same is true if your 16 or 60.

"with great power comes great responsibility"
Old August 16th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Ainsley, you have a good head on your shoulders. You seem to be a very mature teen. When I was a teen, there was no need for me to drink to have a good time, especially on a cruise. Who wants a nasty hangover the next morning! Don't need that. Bob
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Ainsley, you have a good head on your shoulders. You seem to be a very mature teen. When I was a teen, there was no need for me to drink to have a good time, especially on a cruise. Who wants a nasty hangover the next morning! Don't need that. Bob

well the way i look at it if i have to drink to become friends with someone because they think its "cool" its nowhere near worth being friends with them in the first place. i have plans for my future and plan on achieving all the goals i make. im very outgoing and there is no need for alcohol or drugs for me to have a good time at all. but i definitely agree MLSCHEF about anyone having the responsibility to drink if they dont they have no business doing so.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Admiral

I picked 65 because it was the best of the possibloe choices. One should have been "There is NO age appropriate for drinking alcohol.)

It's too bad that so many people need alcohol. Whether it's 1 drink or 10 drinks. when people drinki, they only look and act stupid. It's also how people look when they smoke. Stupid. Ridiculous. What we term in my family a "boozer-loser." The restaurants/bars/cruise ships are laughing their asses off at how much money they make off of you! They are onlyu courteous to you to get money and the bartenders and hostesses for the tips you will dish out, the more you drink, the bigger the tips. Such fools!

It's pretty pitiful that people can't live their lives without alchol in it.

I did my share of drinking in my early 20's, looked back at how stupid I must have looked, and then stopped drinking long before I hit 30. I'm 39 and okay, I had a glass of champagne at my wedding. Both of them. Other than that, I have not given alchohol another thought. There is no use for alcohol. Other than helping ugly folks or losers get laid.

Sorry, that story about "red wine" being good for you is not an excuse either. The "heart-healthy" stories refer to the GRAPES used to make the wine. Eat the grapes or drink grape juice.

Give me a tall cold Perrier with a few twists of lime and I'd rather suck on that all night than some alcohol that's going to rot my body and brain cells.
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Passenger

I too think it should be 18. Otherwise they should change a minor to under 21 and the parents should still be responsible. If you are old enough to work, get your own place, vote, go to war and be an adult why are you not old enough to drink?

Candi
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Admiral

Trust me Michelle you don't ever want to eat a wine grape it's not the same at all as an eating grape. I have both growing in my backyard. A wine grape is meant to be turned into wine. Maybe I should have included a choice of: "There is NO age appropriate for drinking alcohol." It's an interest topic that people feel strongly about. I do drink but not everyday and in moderation.

I just enjoy a cocktail when hanging with friends or to help relax after a stressful day. I'm over 21 and I don't "make a fool out of myself." One or two drinks per night on a 7 day cruise is not going to turn me into a "boozer-loser." It's legal I work hard all year for my cruise I deserve a drink.

However, here are some of the things excessive drinking can cause:

"Delirium tremens or DTs are usually caused by withdrawal or abstinence from alcohol following habitual excessive drinking. In its severest form, withdrawal combined with malnutrition can lead to a life-threatening condition called delirium tremens (DTs). Alcohol is the most common cause of liver failure in the US. The drug can cause heart enlargement and cancer of the esophagus, pancreas, and stomach. In addition to its direct health effects, officials associate alcohol abuse with nearly half of all fatal motor vehicle accidents. In 1992, the total economic cost of alcohol abuse was estimated at $150 billion."

http://www.allarticledirectory.info/...nking-problem/

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Admiral

Michelle would you vote for Legislation to make drinking illegal? Would you have the "18th Amendment" reinstated to start a new prohibition? I was just wondering.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994