Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Default Scooters/Motorbikes in Cozumel

We're on the Ecstasy in December and are wanting to rent scooters/motorcyles, etc. We've been to Cozumel before and have seen all the vendor stalls on the highway to the beaches, somewhat interesting characters waiting by these groups on cycles and scooters.

Any advice? Any warnings? Looking for prices and good people to deal with ... AND I have no experience riding a scooter but my husband is an expert motorcyle guy. Help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have heard warnings of accidents and dangerous roads and drives. This is from Cozumel Insider.

The danger of mopeds on Cozumel cannot be overstated.

The moped rental agencies are, for the most part, located in the downtown area or around the cruise ship piers so availability should not be an issue. However, with the increasing amount of mopeds, pedestrians, bicycles, and cars on Cozumel's narrow streets it is becoming very dangerous to ride mopeds around the island. Be very careful of your surroundings if you choose to rent one, and by all means wear a helmet! IT'S THE LAW!

After an afternoon thunderstorm, the lack of drainage in the streets coupled with the oil on the streets creates a very slick road. It’s not advisable to ride a moped during these conditions.

That is why I made arrangements to rent this for the day! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
Admiral

I think I have seen signs on the ships that state they highly recommend NOT renting scooters in any of the ports. It is way to dangerous. Be very careful.

Need some cruise help?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Captain

If you rent one be sure to check out your scooter for damages prior to leaving the area with it. Those guys are famous for claiming damages when the customer returns. Make sure mirrors and anything that can come loose or fall off is screwed on tight. You have to pay for damages on the spot if something happens..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Advice.........yes, don't do it. Take a taxi or rent a jeep. Cozumel is not the place to learn to ride.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

This VW Thing was only $44 inclusive of tax and insurance for the day. Jeeps are $38. You will be much safer but still have the open air of a convertible.

Less Pay on www.cozumelinsider.com

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Captain

I got run off the road once when I had a Moped. Not a pleasant experience!! That was in Rockland County NY. No way in H*** will I rent one in a Foriegn country!!!
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Scooters/Motorbikes in Cozumel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecx
We're on the Ecstasy in December and are wanting to rent scooters/motorcyles, etc. We've been to Cozumel before and have seen all the vendor stalls on the highway to the beaches, somewhat interesting characters waiting by these groups on cycles and scooters.

Any advice? Any warnings? Looking for prices and good people to deal with ... AND I have no experience riding a scooter but my husband is an expert motorcyle guy. Help!
Expert motorcycle guys need to be careful on scooters. The rear brake is where the clutch is supposed to be, and when you hear the engine hit a certain rpm, the motorcyclist's instinct is to grab the clutch.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Captain

Be sure to buy travel insurance which includes Air Ambulance Evacuation.
It is very costly to fly back to the states in an Air Ambulance, and payment must be guaranteed before leaving Mexico. Also, the local law enforcement folks will not let you leave until you have paid for the scooter you just destroyed, and the local hospital bill. The ship will not allow you to reboard if you are seriously injured. You will be on you own. With this in mind, get a scooter & have a great time.
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Shahk

DTW has the right idea! The roads are completely crazy in Cozumel. I cringe when riding in taxis there.

I, myself, would not do the moped or scooter thing - but I'm old and afraid of getting hurt or worse, killed.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahk
DTW has the right idea! The roads are completely crazy in Cozumel. I cringe when riding in taxis there.

I, myself, would not do the moped or scooter thing - but I'm old and afraid of getting hurt or worse, killed.
I am young and still afraid of getting killed or hurt!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Admiral

On a cruise with a friend, she met a ship's officer, who convinced her that it would be fun to ride around Cozumel on a scooter. Insisted he had done it many times before. Short version...the brakes failed and both of them were hurt, thankfully not badly. He got out of paying damages to the scooter since he was an officer, but I have heard (and believe) that they do not bother with even the most basic maintenance. No matter how experienced your hubby is, if there are hidden mechanical problems, put that together with narrow, slippery roads and sometimes totally insane taxi drivers and you are risking life and limb. PLEASE DON'T DO IT!
Marty
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
On a cruise with a friend, she met a ship's officer, who convinced her that it would be fun to ride around Cozumel on a scooter. Insisted he had done it many times before. Short version...the brakes failed and both of them were hurt, thankfully not badly. He got out of paying damages to the scooter since he was an officer, but I have heard (and believe) that they do not bother with even the most basic maintenance. No matter how experienced your hubby is, if there are hidden mechanical problems, put that together with narrow, slippery roads and sometimes totally insane taxi drivers and you are risking life and limb. PLEASE DON'T DO IT!
Marty
I will second that. I have been riding for 53 years, I can inspect all the safety features and controls in less than five minutes, and I still would not do it outside the USA. Too many potential legal issues, and if you think a wreck hurts.....
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Driving on Cozumel
Scooters are dangerous. There are serious injuries and fatalities far too often. There is now a VERY strictly enforced helmet law on Cozumel, and police will confiscate a scooter if any rider is not wearing a helmet that is fastened. Even if you are experienced driving a scooter or motorcycle it is safer to rent a car. If you do decide to rent a scooter, PLEASE make sure all riders wear helmets and that they are fastened.

The vast majority of accidents are caused when someone does not yield at a corner. A simple rule of thumb is this: If you are in town, driving on a Calle (i.e. a street running east or west - perpendicular to the ocean) , you DO NOT have right of way. You MUST yield at each corner to the vehicles traveling on the Avenidas (i.e. a street running north or south - parallel to the ocean) even if you do not see a stop sign.

In Cozumel, some people drive fast including some on scooters, so wait until you are sure that you will be able to clear the intersection before proceeding.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM
First Mate

After 2 taxi rides in Cozumel last week, I would not ride a scooter there. At times I was reluctant to cross streets or be on the side walks when I saw certain drivers.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone. I think I am convinced not to rent a scooter or anything else on two wheels. The jeep looks awesome, that might be a good alternative. However, after reading all your posts, I am wondering if I would ever want to rent anything on wheels. Last time we did the Sail, Snorkle and Beach Party excursion, then took a taxi to a beach - both of which were wonderful choices. I am not into shopping on a cruise, would rather be doing something. Thanks a lot! December, Ecstasy, here we come...