Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Passenger

Default Teens wandering ship.........do you let yours

We will be cruising on the Fascination in Oct. My 13 yo daughter and just turned 15 yo niece would like to be able to walk around the ship without an adult and check in periodically. I have expressed concern with this and they say I am too overprotective.

I know that they cannot get off of the ship, but I still have concerns. So, my question to you is do you have teens this age that you let walk around? If so, how do you handle it? Do you think I am being to overprotective?

Thanks!
Michell
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Admiral

if more parents were 'over protective" there would be less harm coming to children. You can neber be too over protective of your children.

Remember that you will be on a ship with 3000+ other people, most of whom you don't know. would you let your child wander anywhere back home? Or let her wander around Disneyland by herself? I hope notl Then apply that logic to the ship.

I think 13 is an age where you can drop her off with the teen club and pick her up when she's ready to leave whatever program she's participating in.

As the parent of a 15 year old son, I notioce that whenever I hear oif something like a reecent stabbing of a child in an alley in Chicago, my first thought alwasy is "why wasn't that child with her parents or other guardian?" The moment parents let their child out of their sight, or out of the sight of a responsible adult supervisor, they have committed child abuse.

Keep this in mind - there is likely at least one person on that ship who either has committed or might be contemplating commtting a horrible act upon someone - adult or child, male or female.

Unfortunately, many people still consider drinking alcohol an acceptable thing to do, and too many drink to excess. They do stupid or dangerous things, both intentionally and unintentionally, sometimes involvedin themselves, sometimes others. Would you want your child to come across that person while wandering the ship or coming back from a teen event alone?

So have a great cruise and make sure your daughter stays safe!
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
if more parents were 'over protective" there would be less harm coming to children. You can neber be too over protective of your children.

Remember that you will be on a ship with 3000+ other people, most of whom you don't know. would you let your child wander anywhere back home? Or let her wander around Disneyland by herself? I hope notl Then apply that logic to the ship.

I think 13 is an age where you can drop her off with the teen club and pick her up when she's ready to leave whatever program she's participating in.

As the parent of a 15 year old son, I notioce that whenever I hear oif something like a reecent stabbing of a child in an alley in Chicago, my first thought alwasy is "why wasn't that child with her parents or other guardian?" The moment parents let their child out of their sight, or out of the sight of a responsible adult supervisor, they have committed child abuse.

Keep this in mind - there is likely at least one person on that ship who either has committed or might be contemplating commtting a horrible act upon someone - adult or child, male or female.

Unfortunately, many people still consider drinking alcohol an acceptable thing to do, and too many drink to excess. They do stupid or dangerous things, both intentionally and unintentionally, sometimes involvedin themselves, sometimes others. Would you want your child to come across that person while wandering the ship or coming back from a teen event alone?

So have a great cruise and make sure your daughter stays safe!
Thanks Michelle! Those are my feelings exactly. She usually just hangs out with us. I am trying to encourage her to go to the teen club, but she is very shy. I am hoping that with my niece coming with us this time they might go together. I think they would have a lot of fun.

I notice you are from Chicago....are you a Cubs fan? My daughter is obsessed with the Cubs. Her room is like a shrine to them.
Old July 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

If you have boys, yes. Girls, no. My boys wander the ship but not late at night. Fascination is only 2200 peeps not over 3000 like a bigger ship. It is easy to find your way around. Put GPS on them

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I don't have kids, but if I did the kids wouldn't be on the cruise with me!!!! I'd leave them at home with Grandma!!! Now, if they were, I'd be hunting them down by 11pm and locking them in the cabin........

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to sirtj

I don't have Children but I do have nice's and nephews, I have taken them on a cruise along with friends that have children that have gone... you know your children and what they are capable of handling.. it is better to be safe then sorry but just like home there are rules for there safety, you make rules on the ship as well... get some good Two-Way Radios this will allow them to reach you and you to reach them... and you will be father of the year...
12/19/2005 Carnival Legend
4/23/2005 Carnival Sensation
1/24/2005 Carnival Sensation
4/24/1994 Carnival Jubilee
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Passenger

My son and I have cruised together for the past 3 summers and we are leaving next weekend for our third. He was 13, 14, and now 15 y.o. on these cruises. He met other teens on the boat and hung out with them. We had established check-in times and he was very responsible and met me every time as requested. I was naturally a little worried the first cruise, but it really wasn't a big deal.

I agree with the last person who replied, you know your child the best. If you are concerned, then keep a tight rein. I was glad he found other kids his age and he had a great time. He still corresponds with some of them thru e-mail, etc.

Go with your gut - - you have to do what feels right to you. I haven't found any reason to worry. There is security in place and if you have check-in times, it should be fine.

Have fun!!
Fascination - 7/2006

Old July 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I don't have kids, but if I did the kids wouldn't be on the cruise with me!!!! I'd leave them at home with Grandma!!! Now, if they were, I'd be hunting them down by 11pm and locking them in the cabin........
I enjoy having my kids with me. There will be plenty of time to cruise without them when they leave the nest.

I trust my daughter, but she is just 13 and very mature for her age. It is not her I do not trust, but others. Out of all the people on the cruise, do you honestly think 100% of them have clean records or that there may not be at least one molester/predator? Call me paranoid, but things can happen anywhere. I think we will stick to the teen club where there is somewhat of a more controlled environment.

Thanks for the input!
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Familiar Face

Will standard 2 way radios work with all of the metal walls on the ship? We're planning on bringing ours in 2 weeks to find out, I guess.
Carnival Fantasy Aug 2008
Carnival Esctacy Aug 2007
Celebrity Century Jan 1999
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM
First Mate

We took my step daughter 2 yrs ago and I encouraged her to go to the teen club the 1st night, told her if she didn't like it she didn't have to go back. She liked it, met a very nice girl there, they are still friends. We allowed her to wander with her friend and the other teens she met with a walkie talkie, which worked fine. She was very good at leaving us notes and reporting in. She always came back at the decided time too. On sea days she hung out with me and my friends at the pool. Did excursions with her Dad and I on port days. So she had both family time and friend time.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Admiral

[quote="michellandtim
Thanks Michelle! Those are my feelings exactly. She usually just hangs out with us. I am trying to encourage her to go to the teen club, but she is very shy. I am hoping that with my niece coming with us this time they might go together. I think they would have a lot of fun.

I notice you are from Chicago....are you a Cubs fan? My daughter is obsessed with the Cubs. Her room is like a shrine to them.[/quote]

I agree that 2 kids together is safer. I'm not really into team sports - I'm into figure skating, so I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the 2008/2009 season. But I'm a Cubbie; I have been to a couple of home games at Wrigley Field many years back in the 80's. I occasionally watch Da Bears - as I do enjoy watching football. Never been to a game at Soldier Field though. Too cold most of the season, prefer watching from warm living room! Baseball, golf, hockey (yuch!), too boring for me. I'd probably enjoy watch soccer but don't. I like watching tennis, too.
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Admiral

I concur with Dave The Wave...much smaller ship and easier to keep track of your kids....when my son was small (10 thru 12) and we went cruising he was very good about checking in with me once an hour and usually developed a pattern of where he liked to hang out and made friends with a couple of other boys so all of the parents developed a system where at least one of us were in the general area where the boys were hanging out without it appearing to be that obvious..when he was older (16), he usually met a girl and hung out and the only time I saw him was "maybe" at lunch..not cool to hang out with your Dad at that age
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Also, if your child stays in areas where there are lots of other passengers there is less likely to be any risk. Would she scream bloody murder if some nut did try to pull her away? Would she make it clear to other adults that something bad was happening? Cruises have few places outside of cabins where there aren't other people around. And, especially if she is with another kid or kids, she is not really at that high a risk. But, again, it comes down to you knowing how she is likely to react. And, those family radios might just give you some piece of mind!
Marty
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Passenger

I think it would be ok for your teen kids to wander the ships and explore by themselves. They are old enough to know not to talk to strangers. I'd make them stick together, stay out out of the cabin areas, use the walkie talkies, and meet up several times during the day.