CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Bonine for Motion Sickness (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/354270-bonine-motion-sickness.html)

BunkoBabe July 31st, 2008 08:00 PM

Bonine for Motion Sickness

For those of you wondering about Bonine, I took a pill yesterday to see if I would have any side effects. Well, today, the day after, I felt as if I was in a "stuper" all day and very sleepy and a little punch drunk dizzy. Thank goodness it has worn off (24 hrs).

I am not taking this stuff unless I feel sick on the boat.

Mike M July 31st, 2008 08:03 PM

Re: Bonine for Motion Sickness

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunkoBabe
For those of you wondering about Bonine, I took a pill yesterday to see if I would have any side effects. Well, today, the day after, I felt as if I was in a "stuper" all day and very sleepy and a little punch drunk dizzy. Thank goodness it has worn off (24 hrs).

I am not taking this stuff unless I feel sick on the boat.

Bunko,

You did the right thing by trying it before your cruise. Bonine (Meclizine) is supposed to be non-drowsy but it effects me the same way as it does you and knocks me out. Medications can effect different people differently.

Most people will not have this reaction.

Take care,
Mike

Donna July 31st, 2008 08:06 PM

I always pack some, but so far, have never used it. Hopefully you won't have to either :-)

BunkoBabe July 31st, 2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
I always pack some, but so far, have never used it. Hopefully you won't have to either :-)

I went deep sea fishing once and had no problem, so I am hoping I do just as well on the cruise.

skymaster July 31st, 2008 09:39 PM

You done good, (as we say in the South) but the only problem is, if you wait until your sick to take the stuff,,,,it's too late, and won't work. Maybe you should take the ginger, or something like that. Chances are you won't need anything, but there's nothing worse than sea sickness.....

Ken
"Sky"

Shahk August 1st, 2008 08:28 AM

I guess I'm lucky because I don't have any ill effects from taking Bonine. I usually take one before boarding and every morning on the cruise.

Perhaps try the Dramamine No Doze. It maybe the one that works for you. Or best yet, you may not anyas you said.

When I went to the ships infirmary, all they had was Bonine. And that's why I stuck with it for all the cruises.

debbyedoops August 1st, 2008 10:57 AM

Sea Bands

BuncoBabe
Seasickness is miseriable...planning ahead is always best. You were smart to try the meds before you sail. That's not the kind of drunk you look for on a cruise ha-ha! LOL

FYI
You might want to try the SEA BANDS (WalMart or Drug store)
these are knit band to wear on you wrist...they have a small plastic button that places pressure on your wrist that help prevent sea sickness. NO MEDS...no after affects. They are not very expensive and if you don't need them you can return them when you get home. (if not opened)

They also work wonderfully for morning sickness in pregnancy. My DD has had 4 kiddos with extreme morning sickness until she puts on the bands

debbyedoops :wink:

Murphy22204 August 1st, 2008 12:56 PM

I never take Dramamine or B on cruises because both made me sleepy, even the non-drowsy pills. I tried the Sea Bands but they didn't work for me. The only thing that ever works for me is taking ginger supplements. They're cheap and good for you, and really settled my stomach.

Happy cruising! :-P

ferrangi August 1st, 2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy22204
I never take Dramamine or B on cruises because both made me sleepy, even the non-drowsy pills. I tried the Sea Bands but they didn't work for me. The only thing that ever works for me is taking ginger supplements. They're cheap and good for you, and really settled my stomach.

Happy cruising! :-P

Do you have a specific "ginger" suppliment? Name or brand is it a pill, powder, drink or what?

Murphy22204 August 1st, 2008 02:33 PM

I actually bought them in the vitamin section of Walmart. They are capsules of powdered ginger, but you can get them in any store that sells a variety of vitamins. I think I paid about $4 for a bottle of 100 of them. I took them right before I boarded the ship and then anytime I felt queasy onboard. Worked like a charm for me!

debbyedoops August 1st, 2008 02:35 PM

thanks for that info on the ginger i have not heard about this

debbyedoops

Murphy22204 August 1st, 2008 02:40 PM

A friend of mine in the medical field was the one who told me about taking ginger. I get VERY seasick, and these were the only things that made me feel better. It makes sense, because anytime I had an upset stomach, ginger ale always made me feel better, so I guess it has the same effect for seasickness. I also like that it is not a "man-made" medication.

TaraLeigh99 August 1st, 2008 05:14 PM

I was thinking of trying ginger on our next cruise...

Any side effects? I have heard some people talking about gas / burping up ginger all day?

ferrangi August 1st, 2008 07:06 PM

I think we will try this as well... I started off a little queezy on my first cruise and that was before we left the dock... rofl

However, I never took anything and I was fine the entire cruise after that...
Ginger sounds perfect for me... just in case. :wink:

Murphy22204 August 1st, 2008 08:16 PM

I never had any side effects from taking the ginger at all. It is known to settle your stomach, not give you indigestion.

ragtiki2005 August 2nd, 2008 02:53 AM

I have used the ginger pills and they work very well. Bob :)

Shahk August 2nd, 2008 06:57 PM

I tried Ginger - it did not work for me, not even remotely. :(

I'm glad it does work for others.

8)