Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Default Doing a 1-week cruise with only 1 carry-on + 1 other bag

Has anyone else flown and done a 7-day cruise with only one carry-on bag + one other carry-on per person? I am planning to cruise Valor in June 09 with my carry--on plus a large laptop bag.

I've already laid out the clothes and stuff I would be bringing and of course rolling up all the clothes, it will work nicely. I want to be able to fly without fear of my luggage getting lost or misplaced.

My only concern would be having enough hair conditioner and sunblock for a whole week. Since I'm flying down the day before the cruise and staying with my mom, I will stop that night at a store and buy a container of each, so I don't have to bring along travel sizes on the plane. I'll just leave them behind in the cabin

I will of course do laundry on the 3rd day and will be bringing both white and beige shorts to mix with tank tops during the day, and a pair of white capris to wear with 3 different camisole tops at dinner. I have a slinky velour black dress for both formal nights, never wrinkles. the only shoes I need are my sneakers for days, and black flat dressy pumps for dinner.

My laptop bag will ontain my laptop stuff, (including a lock to lock it up in my cabin) my cell phone charger, digital camera battery charger, pda sync cable, extension cord, and my thin over the shoulder little purse that I wear all the time, which holds a thin case to hold one credit card and a little cash, pda, digital camera, cell phone, and a few singles for tips along the way. I will be wearing a money belt containing passport, cash, id/birth cert./passport , an old Toys R Us card for the cabin safe.

Since I only plan to buy a few ship photos and a Valor coffee mug as souvenirs, this should work very well for me.

Since I travelled with my son last year on a 4-day with only 1 carry-on per person plus a totebag, I can easily adapt just another shirt or two for an additional 3 days.

What has your experience been travelling so lightly?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Admiral

that's the only way I travel...with no problem..understanding that men have a different warobe criteria, but in essence my GF packs one carry on bag...we also make sure we place a change of clothes in each other's suitcase

if you have any friends that are flight attendants, or on your next trip talk to a flight attendant and they will tell you how they pack for 10 days trips with one suitcase

not an issue in the least..just make sure you have the right carry on suitcase
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I dearly wat to take two big suitcases with me and use the smallish carry on, but I can't do that so I have to squeeze everything into one suitcase and leave the carry on virtually empty for the stuff I buy.

I've done a test packing and it all fits with plenty of room for shoes, and the stuff I can't put in the carry on. I am bringing three shirts, four tank tops, three shorts, two capri's, dress pants and my dressiest blose. I don't roll my clothes because I find it takes more room, rather I lay it all down and and line the sides with capri's and dress pants! I amazed myself to find out that I can squeeze a weeks worth of clothes into one suitcase. I am not bringing running shoes or long pants because the weather should be nice when I get home and only plan on throwing dressy flat shoes thongs (flip flops to those born after 1980).

I figure if everything fits in the suitcase I can stuff the carry on and beach bag with goodies to bring home 8) I'm going to use my beach bag as a purse again this time because I found it much easier to maneuver with the essentials and purse contents in the beach bag instead of having to try to haul a purse, beach bag, and carry on bag!!!!!!

33 days!!!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Admiral

I think it is a little early to plan for a 06.09 cruise. Who knows what the carry on rules will be almost a year from now?

This is all new for the airlines and I can see adjustments being made to the carry on rules as folks try to carry on everything in lieu of checking bags.

Also, American Airlines allows ONE carry on/pp. 45 in/114 cm (carry-on)
40 lbs/18 kgs. (carry-on)

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Admiral

On American I think I can still carry on a standard size carry-on bag and a laptop bag. I will have my tiny purse in the big laptop bag.

I really want to go light, so I'll see how I feel a month out from the cruise.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Doing a 1-week cruise with only 1 carry-on + 1 other bag

Sounds like y'all will be travelling like us auditors. Another trick - packing a folded cardboard box in the suitcase to mail the clothing home at the end of the cruise or a duffle to throw the clothes in the hold while the carry-on is filled with loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Has anyone else flown and done a 7-day cruise with only one carry-on bag + one other carry-on per person? I am planning to cruise Valor in June 09 with my carry--on plus a large laptop bag.

I've already laid out the clothes and stuff I would be bringing and of course rolling up all the clothes, it will work nicely. I want to be able to fly without fear of my luggage getting lost or misplaced.

My only concern would be having enough hair conditioner and sunblock for a whole week. Since I'm flying down the day before the cruise and staying with my mom, I will stop that night at a store and buy a container of each, so I don't have to bring along travel sizes on the plane. I'll just leave them behind in the cabin

I will of course do laundry on the 3rd day and will be bringing both white and beige shorts to mix with tank tops during the day, and a pair of white capris to wear with 3 different camisole tops at dinner. I have a slinky velour black dress for both formal nights, never wrinkles. the only shoes I need are my sneakers for days, and black flat dressy pumps for dinner.

My laptop bag will ontain my laptop stuff, (including a lock to lock it up in my cabin) my cell phone charger, digital camera battery charger, pda sync cable, extension cord, and my thin over the shoulder little purse that I wear all the time, which holds a thin case to hold one credit card and a little cash, pda, digital camera, cell phone, and a few singles for tips along the way. I will be wearing a money belt containing passport, cash, id/birth cert./passport , an old Toys R Us card for the cabin safe.

Since I only plan to buy a few ship photos and a Valor coffee mug as souvenirs, this should work very well for me.

Since I travelled with my son last year on a 4-day with only 1 carry-on per person plus a totebag, I can easily adapt just another shirt or two for an additional 3 days.

What has your experience been travelling so lightly?

Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Shahk

You already have your clothes layed out for a 6-09 cruise?

You must be anxious to sail!
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Sure beats me laying out clothes for a January '09 scout winter camp in the high desert of New Mexico.

A little surreal to have kiddo and I check the fit of ski pants and gloves in 100 plus Texas summer. But then again we are cherry picking winter gear at rock bottom prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahk
You already have your clothes layed out for a 6-09 cruise?

You must be anxious to sail!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Simple packing hints: write down what you wore on your last seven day cruise... I bet it's half of what you took with you and can act as a guide for this cruise and future cruises.