Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Default Fantasy to sail from Mobile through Sept 1st

Carnival Fantasy Departures
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 – 5:00 PM
Unfortunately, the operational situation in the Mississippi River remains very volatile at this time and there is the possibility of additional river closures at any time. As a result, we will divert the Carnival Fantasy to Mobile, Alabama on August 9, 2008.
The following information will explain our operational plans for the Carnival Fantasy:
Carnival Fantasy August 4 and August 9 Departures
Guests debarking the ship on August 9 will be provided motorcoach transportation from Mobile to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Guests scheduled to embark on August 9 should proceed to the cruise terminal in New Orleans as planned. Motorcoach transportation will be provided from the New Orleans cruise terminal to the Mobile cruise terminal. This cruise will return to Mobile on August 14 and motorcoach transportation will be provided to the New Orleans cruise terminal or the New Orleans airport.

Carnival Fantasy August 14, August 18, August 23 and September 1 Departures

We will now operate all of these cruises roundtrip from Mobile. If guests were driving to New Orleans, we request they proceed to the cruise terminal in Mobile.
Due to the airlift constraints into Mobile, guests that purchased air transportation from Carnival or independent air transportation should fly into New Orleans as scheduled. Carnival will provide roundtrip motorcoach transportation between the New Orleans airport and Mobile on the day of arrival and departure only.

We sincerely apologize to all of our guests that are impacted by this situation. The entire Carnival team will do everything possible to minimize this inconvenience.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I hope it is all back to normal by Dec. But I guess if we have to leave from mobile thaen thats whet we will do. As long as we can get on the ship and leave.

June 2007 Fantasy
December 2008 Fantasy
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

The Fantasy goes into drydock the month of September...so HOPEFULLY by the time it returns....everything will be back to normal!!

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Well, I'm confused. We are going on the Elvis cruise on 8-28 which is scheduled to leave from New Orleans. I read this and called the number on www.theelviscruise.com and I spoke with a woman who said they had not heard anything from Carnival and if they do, they will contact the guests. The woman didn't sound surprised, concerned, nothing. You would think she would have wanted to contact Carnival. She just said as far as she knew, it was still leaving from the Port of New Orleans. I wish one hand would talk to the other. We have some major plan re-arranging to do if we are leaving from Mobile now. My husband and I are flying in to meet my mom and grandma. They are driving in from Hattiesburg.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I just spoke to someone named Pam from the Elvis cruise. I actually hung up on her because she was rude and didn't sound the least bit concerned that I had called Carnival and they confirmed that the Elvis cruise WAS leaving out of Mobile. Pam said no one had contacted them and that the August 28th cruise was still leaving out of New Orleans. When I tried to explain to her that Carnival had said that was untrue, she got huffy and said they would have been contacted had that been the case.

I called Carnival back and told them what was said and they said to trust them, not a company who simply chartered the cruise. I do trust them...but these people who chartered the Elvis cruise need to get a grip.

Carnival also said not to change our flight plans. So that means my mom and grandma will pick us up at the airport in NO and then we all ride the bus to Mobile????

I'm so confused and no one really seems to care. This is my VACATION...I only get one every other year or so. I don't mind if plans change but I don't understand all the confusion...or rudeness, for that matter.

The Carnival reps said that it was the company that charted the cruise who was responsible for getting the info out about the port change. They acted very surprised that this company was saying there were no changes.

Can anyone tell me a certain person I could call? I'm not calling that Pam person back. She was about as unfriendly as they come. I can't bear rude people. There is just no reason for that.

HELP....
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Admiral

Elvislover, I would take the advice from the Carnival rep. Forget the advice from the other person that works for that charter cruise group. Bob
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Michelle:

The original post is an official press release from Carnival.

Yes, you will be leaving from Mobile.

Sorry this Elvis Pam was so rude. If it is a large TA agency, perhaps Pam just has not spoken with the person in their agency that Carnival contacted.

I can assure you that faxes and emails have been flying out by the 100's.

Carnival is going to use buses to take folks from the airport to the Mobile terminal....so since you are flying in... (other than a 2 hour ride) Carnival has you covered.

Tell your folks to simply drive to Mobile instead of New Orleans.

Old August 9th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I'd guess this situation probably nixes the second CCL ship for NOLA.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
That is my fear as well.

Even when the Conquest was there...all the hassle with the power lines.
Then Katrina
Then the Fantasy was hit by a barge....
Now this....

I would imagine 2 ships in Mobile is looking REALLY GOOD to Carnival right now....

Old August 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Quote:
That is my fear as well.

Even when the Conquest was there...all the hassle with the power lines.
Then Katrina
Then the Fantasy was hit by a barge....
Now this....

I would imagine 2 ships in Mobile is looking REALLY GOOD to Carnival right now....
I've got two more:
The Ecstasy slipping it's moorings and floating down river.
Failure to redirect down stream traffic (after barge hit which is why they canceled last time)

I just don't think CCL can trust the NOLA port authority. Our friends down there need to work to get some over sight.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I've got two more:
The Ecstasy slipping it's moorings and floating down river.
Failure to redirect down stream traffic (after barge hit which is why they canceled last time)

I just don't think CCL can trust the NOLA port authority. Our friends down there need to work to get some over sight.

I was not aware of the last two.

Yes, sadly the words "trust" and "New Orleans Authority" do seem to be an oxymoron!!!

I also think that is exactly why no cruiselines have "jumped" on the new Houston Cruise Terminal. I never really understood the possible risks until this happened.

Old August 9th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Captain

Bad news for NOLA, but might be good for Mobile. We would love to have two ships here and apparently we can handle it. We just need to get more permanent parking space set up and we're ready to go.

At a get together this afternoon, I was talking about this situation with a friend who is a banker at a bank very close to the Mobile cruise terminal. The banker told us that they had been getting quite a few Fantasy crew members come in to open accounts. They had previously had their accounts based in NOLA. The crew members told them that they had been told to count on being in Mobile for at least 6 months.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Bad news for NOLA, but might be good for Mobile. We would love to have two ships here and apparently we can handle it. We just need to get more permanent parking space set up and we're ready to go.

At a get together this afternoon, I was talking about this situation with a friend who is a banker at a bank very close to the Mobile cruise terminal. The banker told us that they had been getting quite a few Fantasy crew members come in to open accounts. They had previously had their accounts based in NOLA. The crew members told them that they had been told to count on being in Mobile for at least 6 months.

i totallly agree with you as far as mobile can handle another ship. i was downtown today watching the fantasy sail away. a security guard was there talking with us and he has heard several crew members, and workers in the terminal itself discussing how the fantasy may be moved here permanently. at the moment its a wait a see thing but it would be great to have the fantasy home ported here. and thats interesting about the crew members saying that they might be here for around 6 months.. definitely something to keep an eye out on.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Admiral

I wonder if we will get some new competitive pricing soon on these cruises from Mobile?

Future Cruises:
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

I know I sound like a broken record but I'd love to see...
Fantasy move to Mobile and a Spirit class ship moved to N.O.

I hope N.O. keeps at least one ship

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Passenger

Default sailing from mobile....forever?

Do you know if the Fantasy will return after it is done at the drydock? We are cruising in November. I too, hope that NOLA keeps a ship, but considering this will be the 3rd cruise in a row that i go to coz....i am ready to sail to some other place and since I live in NOLA - I guess I am ready to sail from another place. However, I guess it will, as they say, help our economy!
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Captain

I would love to see two ships in Mobile and have one of them with a different itinerary than we have had since the Holiday started here. I also hope that NOLA gets another ship with a good itinerary. That would be a win-win situation for the gulf coast and give us all some choices.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Carnival will place a bigger ship in New Orleans with some alternating ports to choose from..hopefully a Spirit class
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Admiral

I am guessing the Triumph to NO...since the Pride is definately going to Baltimore.

We always knew "a" Fantasy class ship was headed to Mobile...the only question seemed to be which one...Fantasy or Sensation.

Old August 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Beginner

^ How do you possibly cruise so much?
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbian
In 3 days, you will know!! You will become addicted!!

Seriously, we are blessed and this is what we love to do.

We have a son with Autism and it is one of the few vacations he truly enjoys.

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbian
In 3 days, you will know!! You will become addicted!!

Seriously, we are blessed and this is what we love to do.

We have a son with Autism and it is one of the few vacations he truly enjoys.
I am glad you found something he injoys and you are able to injoy all the trips with him.

June 2007 Fantasy
December 2008 Fantasy
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Admiral

As of today the Fantasy sailing tomorrow 8/14 was not sold out. Was able to get a super deal including cabin upgrade using Military Discount so it looks like we will be heading for Mobile in the morning and spending the weekend in Cozumel. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
As of today the Fantasy sailing tomorrow 8/14 was not sold out. Was able to get a super deal including cabin upgrade using Military Discount so it looks like we will be heading for Mobile in the morning and spending the weekend in Cozumel. 8)

YOU DOG! Enjoy the weekend and drink a margarita for me. If you head to Paradise Beach tell Tom I said Hi and thanks for the drink he gave me when I brought the whole family down in April. Can I stow away and go too? Don't need a cabin, just a place to stash my clothes. I can shower in the gym and sleep in a recliner on the promenade or just stay up all night in the casino.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Cool. Congrats. My way of sailing, get a last minute bargain.

Future Cruises:
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Quote:

that sounds great!! i wish i could do that =( school calls though so no luck. i just have to wait my turn have a great time in cozumel =))
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
No way....don't you want to take your FRIENDS!!!!

Tom at Paradise Beach is on vacation until Sept 1st....so you will miss him.

But thank goodness Cozumel will still be there!!!!

Old August 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I would love to see two ships in Mobile and have one of them with a different itinerary than we have had since the Holiday started here. I also hope that NOLA gets another ship with a good itinerary. That would be a win-win situation for the gulf coast and give us all some choices.
I have never understood why there are no Southern Caribbean cruises from the gulf ports. Maybe my world globe is defective, but it looks to me like Mobile vs. Miami is a wash by the time you sail out of Miami and go around Cuba while avoiding territorial waters. I hate to think they are so sold on the stereotype of southerners that they think all we want is a short blackjack and Jack-in-black cruise.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythyme
Quote:
I have never understood why there are no Southern Caribbean cruises from the gulf ports. Maybe my world globe is defective, but it looks to me like Mobile vs. Miami is a wash by the time you sail out of Miami and go around Cuba while avoiding territorial waters. I hate to think they are so sold on the stereotype of southerners that they think all we want is a short blackjack and Jack-in-black cruise.
I am guessing (and this is just a guess) that Carnival uses Cozumel as much as possible to recoup the cost of building their own dock there.
And other ports simply "fill out" the Cozumel run.