Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Default Change our flight for the Fantasy?

Should we change our flight and fly into Mobile? As of now, we have our flight into New Orleans for the August 28th Elvis cruise. The Carnival reps said NOT to fly into Mobile but to fly into New Orleans and take a bus to Mobile. I'm not trying to stir the you-know-what pot, but why can't we change our flight and fly into Mobile? It doesn't seem likely that the Fantasy will be back in New Orleans til after its out of dry dock. I wonder if there is a chance that it WILL still leave out of NOLA?

What are your thoughts?
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

I have been wondering the same thing all day long. I think anyone that has a flight to NOLA should go ahead and just come here to Mobile. I think it would make things alot easier. The airport isnt that far from downtown where the ship docks. There is plenty to do downtown in the meantime while your trying to burn time to be able to board the ship. They were saying that unless you were being dropped off to proceed to NOLA but imo I think it would be easier to just fly straight here.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Passenger

I totally agree with you. We lived in Mobile for 10 years. We are familiar with it. There are a few restaurants that we'd love to hit before and after the cruise. But we could only do this if we flew into Mobile. I don't understand why we are being discouraged to do that. I frankly don't see the reason to take a bus from NOLA to Mobile if I have the time and the money to change my flight. Is Carnival thinking that NOLA may be the embarkation port after all?

I'm not trying to make this difficult. Just trying to make it smooth.
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Actually I dont think that New Orleans will be where you leave from. I received an email from my TA today that stated if you were driving, flying, or being dropped off to proceed here to Mobile. If I was in this position with my cruise in Oct on the Fantasy I would go ahead and fly to Mobile, but since I live here it doesnt count for me, but thats what I would do. I went past downtown earlier today and it looked like they were setting up for the return of the Fantasy and a larger number of people travelling straight here instead of them going to NOLA...
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Here's the thing...if I had not seen the info on the forums (this one and another one), I would not have known about the whole situation. No one contacted my mother, either, and she made the reservations. I spoke with Carnival twice today and they advised me to keep my flight to NOLA and take the bus to Mobile. I was going to go ahead and blindly listen to them but now I am trying to change our flight. The more I think about it, the sillier it seems to fly into NOLA. I know this isn't Carnival's fault but there is much confusion.

Someone from Carnival told me today to keep my NOLA flight "in case the port changes again before the cruise". ??????
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Captain

Not sure where you are flying in from, but the flights in and out of NO are usually much cheaper than Mobile. If I were driving to the ship though, I would definately come on into Mobile.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Admiral

There is that chance. I mean it is about 20 days away, but I'm thinking that it will more than likely just stay here. They have said that the port of New Orleans will reopen when the ship returns and then its time for them to return and they come right back to Mobile. So its really up to you but like I have said if it were me I would just fly in Mobile. In the end its really up to you. I also think its extremely unfair that Carnival does not feel the need to contact you at all. Other than this site and living in Mobile I wouldnt have really found out either. Another thing to consider is when it does its last cruise before the refurb it doesnt have to go far because its going in dry dock here.
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Admiral

I has been officially announced that the Fantasy will continue to operate out of Mobile through the 1st of Septemebr. There is an opening that Carnival might not return to New Orleans because of the problems.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well this would surely effect the Bloggers cruise in February, if they changed the embarkation port permanently!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Well this would surely effect the Bloggers cruise in February, if they changed the embarkation port permanently!

but at least you would have plenty of heads up about it and its not a last minute thing. i sail on it for halloween so im hoping that they will decide by then.
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Well, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I can change my flight. They have released an official statement and honestly, I'm tired of fretting over it. I do know my way around the gulf coast so I know I'll be somewhere...Mobile...New Orleans...at least I'm going on a cruise.

Since they went to the trouble of making that big statement, it seems unlikely that they would be back in NOLA before they said they would, if at all.

I wish a cruise fairy would fix this for me :-)
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Admiral

STRANGE ! If one is sailing from Mobile then why NOT fly into Mobile?
New Orleans airport is actually West of New Orleans making for quit a long trip to get to Mobile....and through often heavy traffic to boot.
If I were doing my own air I too would switch from MSY to MOB.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old August 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Quote:
but at least you would have plenty of heads up about it and its not a last minute thing. i sail on it for halloween so im hoping that they will decide by then.
The problem is, for many, tickets have already been purchased to Nola:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Quote:
The problem is, for many, tickets have already been purchased to Nola

yea that really does suck. i hope everything works out for the best for everyone.
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Default Mobile vs. NOLA

I'm not sure; maybe I'm the only one thinking this way but I tend to be a big thinker. If a Carnival Rep is telling you to fly into NOLA (and supposedly more than one Carnival Rep is telling people to do so), there may be plans to change ports for one reason or another and those plans are just not being made public.

Now, what does that mean for the people who live in / near or will drive to Mobile to board; I don't know? Maybe you'll sit tight and just wait.

I have cruised with Carnival 6 times and each time Carnival has recommended something to me and I decided to not follow the recommendation, it almost came back to bite me in the - - - !!!

Flying into NOLA could also be a publicity stunt to continue to pump up numbers of visitors into the city after Katrina.

I can't imagine that Carnival would have you flying into NOLA to bus into Mobile just to get another $60 in transfer money.. Do you?
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Change our flight for the Fantasy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisLover
What are your thoughts?
I would fly to Mobile.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

My humble opinion.....Carnival is telling everyone to keep their "air status" the same, so that Carnival is not hit with a lot of "requests" to reimburse the additional costs to change the ticket.

Plus Carnival has probably already ordered a certain number of buses...based on their data base of who is flying in.

If half those people "change to Mobile"...those buses will be sitting there for nothing....because Carnival has no way of knowing who "changed to Mobile".

Personally, if I could change without a lot of cost...I would.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Passenger

I am working on having my flight changed. If I can't, no big deal. We'll just take the bus to Mobile and meet my family there, on the ship. If I thought about this too much, I would really be hacked off. I don't understand.....but it's my vacation and as long as we all get on that ship, all will be well. But it's still BS....

I did think that maybe they were telling people to continue to fly into NOLA b/c maybe the Fantasy would come back to NOLA, after leaving out of Mobile. But it dry-docks in Mobile as soon as it gets back from my cruise (??? Or maybe a few trips after ours is over, which is Sept. 1st) so you would think it would go ahead and come back to Mobile.

But who knows. Now my mom is having a hard time getting in touch with the people who chartered this cruise. That is not sitting well with her. They won't email her back or call her. They are still saying the cruise is leaving from NOLA. If they aren't saying that anymore, no one has called us to inform us otherwise. The only info we have is what Carnival has told us.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!