Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Jean Chigas
Default Swimming with sting rays in Grand Caymen

We're going on Liberty 8/30/08 and have booked swimming with the sting rays. Do you recommend having water shoes? Is the beach rocky in Grand Caymen?

thanks
Jean
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to cruzaddict

Wow, we just went last September and I can't remember if I had any shoes on. I don't think I've ever worn my water shoes though.

I do remember this...Stingray City, as they call it, is several minutes offshore so it definitely isn't a rocky beach. The water was crystal clear like a swimming pool in the ocean. It was shallow, approximately waist deep, and very calm. The "floor" so to speak was like if you walked in the ocean off Florida's coast to the best of my recollection - definitely not rocky.

You undoubtedly will enjoy it. I think everyone who visits Grand Cayman should do this at least once. It's like a "must see". HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

Carnival Ecstasy 4-06, Carnival Conquest 9-07
Mariner OTS 9-08, Carnival Conquest 2-09
Carnival Conquest 9-09, Carnival Fantasy 1-10
Carnival Triumph 5-11, Mariner OTS 11-11
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Admiral

Water shoes or other footwear (old tennis shoes) was a requirement when we did this excursion in 2005. We had our own but they "rented" them on the boat for $5 ore $10. I agree with cruzaddict, every should do this at least once. We had a wonderful time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Do not remember it being rocky at the beach or at Stingray City. We did not use water shoes although it never hurts to have them.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I was on the Carnival Liberty last October and our excursion out to Sting Ray City required some type of foot wear. I brought my water shoes, but they had them to rent on the boat. The trip out to Sting Ray City is about a 40 minute boat ride, so you are no where near the beach. It's not exactly a rough bottom, it is sandy, but not beach smooth sandy under the water, so foot wear is highly recommended.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old August 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Passenger

We signed up for this one! I cant wait! 8 more days until I cruise! I bought some very cheap water shoes from walmart, I think they were 10 dollars.
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Stingray City is a shallow sandbar, thus the the sand is soft underfeet. They probably told you you need the watershoes to make money. I did it in January 07 and I just jumped in and walked along the sand with no problems!!!!

As for the ride out from the dock, it can be 20 minutes or it can be in excess of 45 minutes....We got stuck with a old, worn out boat that went puttered along at a very slow speed....We were 1/4 of the way out and another boat (large barge like party boat) zoomed (and I mean ZOOMED!) past us loaded with twice the number of people we had!!!! We got there and they were already in the water. By the time we left a good 15-20 minutes after us they ZOOMED past us once again going back....we spent 3 hours of the 4.5 hours at Stingray City and 2 of the 3 hours were getting there.....

Stingray City is a blast, you should consdider grabbing a snorkle and mask to check them out underwater....and bring a underwater camera--like the Olympus Stylus 850SW or 1030SW digital underwater camera unstead of a disposable....I have the 7MP model (770SW) and it takes great underwater pics, which you can snap away and then keep the ones you want!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....