Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Default Bring A Book With You !!!!!! Please

From a local perspective, Beacon of Hope Resources Center is an excellent choice (among many) for BLOG2NOLA support

on a personal note, I hope future BLOG cruises do something like this for the host departure city

I have a very close friend who is a teacher in the public school district in New Orleans(she can't come with us because it's the school year, but will be my guest for the friday evening activities) and she often comments about as the schools are being rebuilt, the lack of books in the school libraries...the public library system in New Orleans is still in shambles and in the lower 9th ward, the school's library is often the only place the community can obtain reading materials

I was wondering if CruiseMates that are coming to New Orleans for BLOG2NOLA could perhaps bring a book with them (or make a small donation and the school can purchase books) that can be donated to her school's library...She teaches at a middle school (grades 6 thru 9) in the lower 9th ward ...looking for something age appropriate and perhaps travel related

If other Cruise Mates who could not join us want to make a donation, that would be fine also...I know we CM'ers love to read and we want to encourage young people to embrace that love also

thxs
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Venice, I would love to make a donation, at this time. Can you post the information where I can send a check. If it can't be posted, would you please send me a PM.

This is a great idea!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I will be glad to see what I can gather between now and then....If I get more than I can handle, I will ship them to you, if that's ok....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think having all the cruisemates bring books for the school is a WONDERFUL idea!!!

Count me in for sure!
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I'm going to ask my teacher friend to give me some additional information so I can post on these boards..surprisingly she has never been on a cruise before and she loves jazz more then i do...so perhaps if my fellow cruisemates donate enough books..her principal will be so happy that she will be allowed to go on a smooth jazz cruise with me next year
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Passenger

Great idea -- count me in.

My cousin is a teacher also, and I've asked her to get her class involved in this project, too, when the new school year gets underway.

Claudia
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Venice....

If you could get us the name of the school, I'm going to talk to John and Carnival and see if we can't make this a project for the entire bloggers cruise. That way we might be able to get the school 500 + books.
Old August 12th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Admiral

Great !!!!! we are trying to arrange a meeting with the principal..school started today so they are pretty busy

thanks for your support
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Beginner

Venice,
Big ED's EVIL Krewe wants to help please let us know when you want the books collected by. I think we have about 20 or so members who are wiling to donate books some teachers who have old text books for some of those grades that are willing to help. Please let me know what we can do to assist you.

Kevin
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Kevin..thanks for your generous offer...the first few weeks of school start up is pretty intense, so as soon as my teacher friend can arrange a meeting with her principal I'll post the specifics

and when we are onboard..I will gladly buy 1 large drink and get 20 small cups to distribute to your crew to say thank you (or put 20 drinks on Kuki's sign and sail card) 8)
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Venice, due to the airline baggage issues I think it might be better to ship books ahead. Is it possible to get an address where we can ship books ahead of our actual arrival in NOLA. I think I can get my friends to help with this one. Thanks, Mike
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMike
Venice, due to the airline baggage issues I think it might be better ship books ahead. Is it possible to get an address where we can ship books ahead of our actual arrival in NOLA. I think I can get my friends to help with this one. Thanks, Mike
Mike.. you could just send the books to your hotel if you found that easiest. I've sent stuff to my hotels before, to be waiting when I check in.

Thanks to something else Venice has been working on, we may have a very special event on Saturday before boarding. If that falls into place, it might also be the best time for everyone to bring their books.

The event will be announced once everything is in place. We can't say anything about it until it's finalized, and all details are set in place.
Old August 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I just got back from the library, and had the librarian help me go through a selection of age appropriate, discarded booked that had just been put out....For various reasons, age, uncirculated, etc, these books make it to the table...We selected only those that, are not outdated, historical travel and science, and, crafts, titles...

I am now going to see, per the librarian, if, I can get a donation from UPS to ship them down..I don't expect this, but asking won't hurt...

It's an idea, that, maybe others can do as well. Just a thought.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Trip..thank you so much for your support..hopefully I'll catch up to my teacher friend at church on Sunday and I'll invite her to a Jazz Brunch and can find out her progress...As you well know, the first week of school is crazy for teachers
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Default books

Great idea, count me in.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

I've just been on the phone with the folks at Carnival and it looks like they may make this book project a part of the plan to encourage everyone on the bloggers cruise to participate.

Great news for the school.

So once Venice gets us more details on what they need, we'll get to work on the organizational side of making this happen.
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Admiral

i will definitely keep room open for some extra books to donate.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I won't be able to bring books with me, but I will take up a collection at work and donate that money to the cause!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM
Admiral

Lisa..thanks...I have been very busy at work and my teacher friend has been busy with the first few weeks of school but we will hopefully connect the weekend after labor day and then i can post the specific information about the schools
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

any updates?
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Admiral

funny you should ask about updates the two hurricanes has sort of thrown every one off schedule and i happen to tex my school teacher friend and it looks like we are going to connect this Sunday at brunch so i will be able to post an update next week

darn hurricanes just mess up everything
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Anything new....
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Admiral

hopefully soon, been having some small issues at work which has prevented me from meeting with the 2 principals..hopefully will have a few moments this week..thanks for asking
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Admiral

[Tapping my feet....waiting for an answer]
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Admiral

please stay patient..I am working on the logistics..hopefully have all the information soon
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Updates...
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Admiral

thanks for asking..we have the designated school and the principal has given us her wish list...Kuki is working very closely with Carnival Corp and John to coordinate a plan to help..once that it finalized we will post
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Admiral

I'm still waiting...[/b]
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleq
I'm still waiting...[/b]
Unfortunately this has become a bit more complicated than it started out to be. The principal of the school has supplied "her wish list"... which is really cash donations to purchase text books.

While I'm all for chartible work and charitable donations I'm sorry but I don't feel I can use the CruiseMates site, or the group cruise to ask participants to direct their cash donations to a specific charity.... though it may be one of the most deserving out there.

I have no doubt some people will disagree with my decision. But I just don't feel right directing people to spend on one charity over another.

If anyone would like the contact information to make a donation I have no problem at all supplying it.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

I concur..will explore another option