Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Default Question for you seasoned cruisers.

Our first cruise was a 4-day out of Los Angeles. Royal Caribbean. BIG disappointment. Granted it was a normal stateroom with a small window so very uncomfortable. My husband and I couldn't wait to get off the ship. Plus it was an inexpensive trip which, of course, appealed to... well, you know. No, I don't think I'm better than any one else but I do think that 'wife beater' tank tops and torn jean shorts are inappropriate worn any where but your own backyard. Okay, not even there....

When we were invited to participate in a family member's birthday cruise next year (8 night Mexican Riviera - Spirit) our first thought was 'No, thanks!' But we hated to miss the chance to be with the entire family so we reconsidered and booked a suite, hoping for more comfort. Obviously the suites are bigger but I'm wondering what you seasoned cruisers think as to "is it worth it?" Thank you for any input.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Admiral

If I could afford it, I would book a suite everytime...
Of course so far... that's the only cabin I've had... my second cruise coming up in 3 weeks...
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old August 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Beginner

To me I spend so little time in my room I don't pay the extra money...that is just me.

I think you should go with your gut feeling.

Good Luck
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Admiral

If you felt "confined" in a normal RCI ocean view cabin, and can afford the suite, then by all means, you absolutely should book the suite. You'll note that Carnival cabins are slightly larger than RCI's anyway, and I thinkyou'll really enjoy the suite. Don't go aboard ready to note all the "negative" things you can find. Instead, go aboard looking forward to a GREAT cruise with your family, and do just that,,,ie: have a wonderful time with the people you enjoy. You'll also find that the longer the cruise, the more you'll find people aboard who, shall we say, have more in common with you, and share your values. I'll bet you really enjoy the 8 day cruise aboard a "Spirit", and especially in a suite.
Wish I could join you!

Ken
"Sky"
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Thanks, "Sky." We certainly will go expecting to have a great time. Thanks for the reply! Come aboard! The more the merrier. We're 30 at last head count.
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have our 7th cruise booked on Carnival, the last six have been 3 Carnival, 1 RCL and 2 Princess. We have always had just regualar staterooms and have never had a problem We are never in our room all that long, just to sleep at night, once or twice during the day for a quick wardrobe change, and for me an occasional afternoon nap!
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Admiral

Although I prefer RCL over Carnival (not by that much, however) I always say you get more bang for your buck as far as cabins go with Carnival. You might like their cabins better.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

I will say that our cabin on the Fascination U230 was great. It is an oceanview aft cabin. It had extra room in it compared to the normal oceanview cabins on the sides. I didn't experience any out of the ordinary noises or rocking like I had read about. IT WAS NICE. Here is a picture like. It's too big for on this page but it is viewable in the photo gallery http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=75460

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have been very comfortable in small cabins. Size ins't everything

The shorter cruise will attract more budget minded and can vary week to week. Just like any hotel, you may check in during a NASCAR convention or other larger group and it is luck of draw.

I am sure you will like the longer cruise better.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Admiral

The Spirit offers a lot of balcony cabins that are not Suites...so that might be an affordable compromise.

Especially if you got balcony cabins together...and remove some of the partitions so that the balconies would run as one.

On some ships there are Aft Balcony Cabins that have what is called a WRAP balcony that gives more space for the same about of money as a regular balcony cabin.

But, if money is no issue...and you want a suite... I would go for it!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Okay I can help you because I had this experience as a west coast cruiser. I think all new cruiser make this mistake. You aren't certain if you will like the cruise so you book a short 4 day cruise. The problem is
the stops on the 4 day where Enseneda and Catalina. Enseneda isn't even worth getting off the ship. Also this cruise has quite a bit of the younger college aged crowd.

The stops on the 8 day are Acapulco, Mexico ; Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico ; Manzanillo, Mexico. There is a huge difference between these ports and the ones on a 4 day. Also if it's a longer cruise when the kids are in school you will have a complete different type of cruise passenger. Less college kids on spring break and more older couples on vacation.

To resolve the cabin issue i agree with the other posters, you need a balcony room of some kind. If you can open a door and be outside you will feel better. So it you can get one with an extended balcony I think these are in CAT 9A check with your Travel agent. If after the eight day cruise you don't love it then cruising may not be for you. It isn't for everyone. I just think the 8 day will give you more of a true impression on why we enjoy cruising.

On a personal note my first cruise was the same 4 day in 1994 and I didn't cruise again until 2003 that was on a 7 day and boy what a difference. I have cruised every year since.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I have been very comfortable in small cabins. Size ins't everything
Im not the least bit uppidity, but I felt the opposite. On the older, shorter RCL cruise, we were uncomfortable in the tiny space, at least I was, though I enjoyed the cruise. We are considering a PR cabin next time on Voyager class, had a OV last time which is bigger than a inside. We didnt look at the waves that much and think it would be more fun perhaps to people watch.

We are not big balcony folks. I think balconys are great if there is a possibility of alone time with a spouse or S.O. but if not they are kind of a waste, Id rather be up by the pool.

OP I think you might have been equally happy if you could have gotten an extended balcony on Spirit, but a suite is extra nice too. I think having a larger cabin will make the cruise more enjoyable. I like having elbow room in the cabin myself.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have had a OV, balcony, and a suite. Now, if I had the money I would book a Cat 11 suite ALL the time! It was a HUGE cabin, it was 50% larger than a standard balcony cabin. The extra space is nice on the balcony. My mom and I took my niece with us and there were many times all three of us were out on the balcony and it never seemed crowded. The cabin itself too was perfect for the three of us. My mom had the one closet and drawers and I had the other closet, shelves, and drawers (in the "dressing" area outside the bathroom).

A balcony cabin would do you just fine if you want to save a few bucks. I think you should book a suite at least once to experience the "suite" life!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Beginner

Aahhh. Thanks for the support and great info. I went ahead and booked the suite. #6170 on Empress deck. Our three daughters are in balcony cabins and I know they will want to 'congregate' in our room so the space will be utilized for sure. The penthouse suite looks like it's the same size but with a whilpool bath? I'll save the money.

The balcony sounds great. Do you think the weather (Jan 31 to Feb 7, Mex Riviera trip) will be nice enough to enjoy it? Probably a silly question. One more silly question: Does anyone know if the game room has Dominoes? We love to play Mexican train. THANKS ALL!!
Old August 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Go Kat, go!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the encouragement Mehawk.
LoveToPack I always check the average temps. on Yahoo. For Jan and Feb the average is:
Acapulco
Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg.
January 88.0° F 70.0° F
February 88.5° F 70.2° F
Zihuatanejo
January 85.0° F 68.0° F
February 84.0° F 70.0° F
Manzanillo
I can't find the averages. I'm guessing it's a high in the 80s and a low in the 70s. 8) I can't remember is they have Dominoes I would bring a set just to be on the safe side.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Sure does not seem like sun tanning weather in that part of Mexico in January or February. Might be a little cold for me. Bob
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Captain

I love at least a 7 day cruise. Last year I went on a 4 day with my friend Ferrangi and her sister. I enjoyed cruising with them If you are on their ship you will have a great time they are fun loving. Anyway we had the Penthouse Suite. Loved the larger suite. The balcony didnt' seem any larger than other carnival balconies. We never used the jetted tub. Loved the walk in closet. Nice to be in the closet and others could pass or get into the rest room. Sleeping is Good for 2 people. Not so for the 3rd. I'm a larger person and the convertable sofa doesn't have a way to tuck the sheets in. The 2nd night I asked for a roll a way. Much more comfort. Loved having the large sectional sofa.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose