CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Are all of the crews from other places other than the US???? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/354719-all-crews-other-places-other-than-us.html)

upsman1986 August 11th, 2008 09:35 PM

Are all of the crews from other places other than the US????

I've been on four cruises with Carnival, and only seen one crew member with United States on her name tag. Don't really care where the employees come from as long as I can get my questions answered. Is it that Americans don't apply for the job or is the pay that bad??

lhp August 11th, 2008 10:29 PM

It is not only an issue of pay (although that is part of it) but it is also an issue of taxes and just plain ole hard work.

It is kinda like the same reason folks that live in America won't do the jobs that those who come to America (legally or otherwise) are willing to do.

A Social Host makes 'about' 1,500.00 a month last time I checked. Now that is not great pay, but considering you don't have any expenses (other than personal items) it is not bad for a young person who wants to see the world.

The cruise line pays for your room, board, health insurance.

So for an American...if a young person lives with Mom and Dad back home and has no car note... then they can see the world and make a little money.

For folks from other countries, this would be considered GREAT money.

spencercoop August 11th, 2008 11:19 PM

The only people who come from the USA that I have sen are cruise directors and dancers. There are a lot of people that are from other countries becuase this is the best pay they can get. I heard one guy talking that $100 a month in his country is considered very rich and he was making $1,000 a month just in tips.

skymaster August 12th, 2008 09:46 AM

I've met Americans working at the Pursers desk, the spa, in I.T., as mentioned musicians, dancers, and technical workers in the entertainment department, but can't recall ever meeting an American working as a waiter, bus boy, or cabin steward. Perhaps the hours are just too long, and the pay too low for the average American young person. It's a shame,,,wouldn't it be a great way to kick off a career?

Ken
"Sky"

EMG August 14th, 2008 11:00 PM

I can't recall every seeing an American name tag onboard but I guess it's because of the pay. For the average person 1500 a month isn't enough but; is 1500 just base and doesn't include tips? If you factor in tips at an average of what? $25 for 4 days x however many cabins you take care of?

lhp August 17th, 2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMG
I can't recall every seeing an American name tag onboard but I guess it's because of the pay. For the average person 1500 a month isn't enough but; is 1500 just base and doesn't include tips? If you factor in tips at an average of what? $25 for 4 days x however many cabins you take care of?

The $1,500 a month was an estimate for a Social Host. They don't earn tips.