Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Default Jamaica Port

I will be on the Conquest with a stop in Montego Bay. What are some things my Daughter and I could do there that is safe? I got the Dolphin swim in Cozumel. I don't have anything for Cayman Island yet either. Any suggestions out there? This is her first cruise and want her to enjoy all of it. She will love the ship, I know that for a fact. I am just curious about the ports. I think there will be enough night life on the ship to make her happy. I didn't go to the clubs when I went, but from what I see about them, she should be happy with them. She is 25 and loves dancing.
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You have to climb the falls. It's not something that people do over and over again, but it must be done at least once.

I would suggest going with Carnival on this one.

In Grand Cayman check out the Waverunners to the sting rays.

You can find them here http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c...Waverunner.htm
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

We did the Dunn's River waterfall and it was great! Hubby walked along the walkway and I walked up the fall. You can take your own water shoes if you have them, otherwise you rent them. If I remember right, they will not let you go bare footed......nor do you want to! There are places it is quite slippery! If you dock at night go to (Luminous Lagoon) bioluminecent bay! That is the neatest thing by far to see!!!
I have heard the stingrays are great there too but we did Blackbeards Cay stingray adv. in Nassau and it was absolutely fantastic!
Have fun!
Deb
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Sept we went on the Conquest, and because this was my first time in Montego Bay, we took an island tour....To be honest, it was a waste of time and money. They took us to a strip mall...and a craft market on a rough terrain, many people, including us, stayed on the bus..We also went to Margaritaville, which should make Jimmy weep, it was dirty, and a drug deal was going on right outside..so, to sum it all up..do the Falls;)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Dunn's River Falls are a must, alas, the tours that do that are very long because the travelling from MoBay to their location near Ocho Rios. You will not have any shopping time if you do the falls. The good news is the terminal building at the port has shops where you can buy a wide variety of cheap and cheerful gifts, even the wonderful wood carvings (I bought two), blue mountain coffee, and spices!!!!

I did Rose Hall Great House. I enjoyed it. The house and the myth/legend around it is quite fascinating. There is a shopping stop at a shopping area and the craft market. Word of warning to heed, and tell others that are with you--AVOID THE CRAFT MARKET!!!! They will grab you and not let you go until you buy something and fleece you. Our van had six brave souls who dared the market--two came back within a minute, two got into one stall and were fleeced and released after 15 minutes (these stalls are as small as a small walk in closet or smaller). THe last couple didn't fare so well, they were the ones who were rescued by the van driver!!!!!! They weren't complerely taken, but more than they wanted!!!!

The people are very nice, if you are polite and firm with yes or no. Me No Want is a good phrase and they should leave you alone....If you or your daughter has long hair be prepared to be asked if you want it braided beacause you will be asked at least once.....I have long hair and I managed to get away with only one or two in Mo Bay!!!! Ocho Rios I wasn't so lucky--I had five or six requests.....I have a head of hair many envy and want, but I am the opposite, I'd rather have thinner, straight hair than thick/curly.....

Grand Cayman--if you do know what you want to see you can probably get a cheap imprompt tour with a minibus for as cheap as $20...I do recommend Boatwain Beach (Turtle Farm plus more--even a snorkling pool and swim area), and Stingray Cirty is a absolute must!!!!!! There is a tour that includes Stingray City, Turtle Farm, and Hell. That is a good general tour and it is around 4.5 hours. The shopping at Grand Cayman is right off the water and when you get off the dock you are face to face with a Margaritaville and a shopping complex...all the shopping is so easy to access. Tortuga rum store (just to the right of the landing zone) is a excellent place to get the run cames in ALL flavours and other Tortuga products!!!

Cozumel--do the swim and snorkle where you interact and do things with the dolphins, I promise you will NOT regret it, even though it is expensive. I did it and I loved it....You do a pectoral ride, boogie board, get a hug and a kiss, and get to do a few other tricks too!! Well with the $169 tour price tag!!!!

Enjoy!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yeoman

Default Jamaica

You could take a cab to Doctors Cave Beach. Try the conch fritters at the Groovy Grouper. They have a great little beach bar and the waitresses offer beachside service so you never have to get up. There are changing facilities and restrooms. There is a $5 admission fee and a charge for a chair and umbrella, or you can just spread a towel under a palm tree.

I've stayed in Jamaica several times and it can be unsafe. This is a private beach club so it's quite safe.

I agree that Margaritaville is not real clean, but we had a blast nonetheless. A couple of local guys had an impromptu dance-off that was amazing.

We also like the horseback riding. We went through an outfit called Chukka Blue. They did an excellent job and you get to take your horse for a swim.

The zipline was great too.
Still want to go see Bob Marley's Birthplace in Nine Mile. Can't wait to get back, we've made many Jamaican friends I want to see again.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

howdy Anna

We are going on the Conquest in Dec... we plan to do the Dunn River Falls w the dolphin encounter in Mo-Bay, in Grand Cayman lots of people have said the String Ray City is amazing, in Cozumel we will probaly do the Chankanaab Park (no dolphin) or maybe the catamaran & snorkle

Hope you have a great cruise and will look forward to hear about your trip upon your return...but please leave a little fun onboard for us to follow.

debbyedoops
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Re: Jamaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
You could take a cab to Doctors Cave Beach. Try the conch fritters at the Groovy Grouper. They have a great little beach bar and the waitresses offer beachside service so you never have to get up. There are changing facilities and restrooms. There is a $5 admission fee and a charge for a chair and umbrella, or you can just spread a towel under a palm tree.

I've stayed in Jamaica several times and it can be unsafe. This is a private beach club so it's quite safe.

I agree that Margaritaville is not real clean, but we had a blast nonetheless. A couple of local guys had an impromptu dance-off that was amazing.

We also like the horseback riding. We went through an outfit called Chukka Blue. They did an excellent job and you get to take your horse for a swim.

The zipline was great too.
Still want to go see Bob Marley's Birthplace in Nine Mile. Can't wait to get back, we've made many Jamaican friends I want to see again.
I second these suggestions. Love the gruvy grouper

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are planning to go to a resort on a day pass when we go in Feb. Sandels supposedly has one as well as several others on the Island.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009