Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Passenger

Default WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT BLACKBEARDS CAY IN NASSAU?

Can you snorkel
Is there food
Are there toys

You know, the routine! Also, how much $$

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Passenger

They take you out to the island by boat and everything is self contained. On one side you can snorkel with the stingrays and feed them (they give you the equipment to use) and on the other side is a beach with lounges, a bar and food place and a gift shop plus some tables with crafts on them. It was a nice excursion and if I remember right I think it was around 45.00. I know it was less than the one I originally signed up for in Antigua and cancelled. My friend hurt her foot so we rebooked the stingrays for Nassau and I think it was a much better place. In Antigua you would have had to jump off the side of the boat into the water and in Nassau you walked from the beach in as deep or shallow as you felt comfortable going.
All in all, it was a nice one and I would definitely do it again if we go back to Nassau!
Deb
Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Thank you Deb!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Passenger

no problem....when are you going there?
I took lots of pictures off of the pier of the stingrays and if you want, they take one of you holding one of the larger stingrays too! It was a good pic and it was only 10.00 and in a framed card. Well worth it for a memory! If you go there, ENJOY!!!!
The gift shop is a little more expensive but their items are personalized with stingrays so when we were there I bought everyone christmas ornaments and shot glasses from there. That is what we bring back for our kids and grandkids...ornaments from each port and I add the year to them if I have to. They are getting a nice collection started now! On last years cruise we had 5 ports so they got 5 ornaments! This year will be 3 from Mexico and 3 from Southern Caribbean.
Have a great time!!!!
Deb
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were there in June and had mixed reviews from the three couples that went.
My wife and I did the stingray visit. We had done the stingray excursion in Grand Caymen last year and really enjoyed it. Open water and in there natural habitat. This one was in a fensed in area, barbs removed and not really what we had hoped for. We would have scored it higher if we didn't the G.C. experience to compare it to. However if you have young ones, it would be great.
The other couples signed up for a treasure hunt excursion at the same beach. They were very dissappointed and unhappy. Felt the "treasure hunt" description was misleading.

Overall, the beach was nice, quiet and the food they had was very good. I believe they had burgers and chicken sandwiches. The boat was full when we rode over to the island, but once on the beach it didn't feel crowded at all.

I've done it once but would probably not do it again unless I was taking younger children. It felt like a safe beach for them.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Passenger

I love the ornament idea. We get our kids new ornaments also each year, but never thought of getting one in the ports we visit. Thanks!

Not really into the stingray thing, but we were looking into the treasure hunt so I am glad to hear the replies. We are taking our two daughters, 10 and 13. My nephew is 7 and it sounds like something he would fall for.

We will be there in Oct. Went 2 years ago and got a room at the CS and spent a day at the Atlantis slides. We had been thinking about the Wyndham, but then I came across the Blackbeard excursion.

Have you ever done or heard of the Sea Safari Snorkel Excursion in Freeport? Sounds like fun. Carnival switched our itinerary so we are only in Freeport for a short time. Never been there before.

Thanks for the advise!
Michell
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to kiteflyer

Hi there

My hubby and I with two friends did Blackbeards this past March and we were very very unhappy with the area used for swimming/snorkling. We also were unhappywith the "Treasure" hunt. Very misleading.

I wouldn't waste my money.

Kiteflyer
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Only know about Blackbeard at St. Thomas...five words...FREE RUM IN THE BASEMENT.
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Thank you for all your replies! I think we will stick with the Wyndham.
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Beginner

Default blackbeards cay

Hi, just got back from the Miracle this week and did the Blackbeards Cay deluxe excursion. We really enjoyed it. We have been to Nassau 6 times and this was the best excursion. It was a beautiful quiet beach and there were no pushy people walking around on the beach trying to sell you everything under the sun. There is a bar, an area to swim with the stingrays, gift shop and a dining area which they gave you a bar b que lunch and drink. I enjoyed it more than the tourist trap Atlantis. This beach was a lot nicer.
Old September 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Passenger

It's been a few years since we were there, but we were not very impressed. The Stingray encounter left a lot to be desired. We felt the food was just O.K. and high priced and we had a problem with sand fleas.

The next trip to Nassau, we went to Cable Beach, over at the Wyndham. It had more people, but was definitely a better experience. in my opinion.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Is the Wyndham Cable Beach excursion thru Carnival or do you just taxi it over on your own?

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Is the Wyndham Cable Beach excursion thru Carnival or do you just taxi it over on your own?
You can take a taxi, however, we just took the local # 10 bus for $1.00 per person and told the driver we wanted to get off at Cable Beach. It added something to the whole experience, riding with the locals. We also took the bus back. Made for a very inexpensive beach day.
Old September 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

Did it cost any to get into Cable Beach?
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniousmc
Did it cost any to get into Cable Beach?
Some people have reported that the Wyndham was charging a "Day Pass" fee, however, we just walked through the hotel and out to the beach. We didn't use any of their lounge chairs, etc, just our towels.