Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Default My First (Real) Cruise Ever!

So after having a really terrible time on a one day gambing cruise boat to the Bahamas, my mother has finally talked me into going on a real cruise boat. Been doing a lot of reading here at Cruisemates and I'm actually getting really exciting about my oceanview suite! ^_^

I have a couple of questions relating to Carnival (specifically the Inspiration) and was hoping some folks could give me a few honest opinions.

1. I recently lost quite a bit of weight (21 lbs so far!) and want to make sure I can continue my exercise program while I'm on the cruise. How are the gym facilities? Is it worthwhile paying the supplement for a yoga class or two?

2. Tied into the first question, while I definetely plan on trying the melting cake , how is the "spa cuisine"?

3. Has anyone tried the "Great Cozumel Race" shore excursion? Is it as fun as it looks?

4. Are the any nice, romantic things anyone can suggest doing in Cozumel or Grand Cayman? Hubby and I will be a bit shy of our 1 year anniversary, but we want to do something a little special. :-)
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Inspiration went through dry dock already (that is when they fix up the ship). Here is Cruisemates article about Inspiration this is a quote from that article. http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...nspiration.cfm
Quote:
The gyms have a private trainer and 35 state-of-the-art exercise machines. There's a day-long schedule of aerobics, and stretching yoga, and Pilates classes (usually around $10 each), as well as body composition analysis and personal training sessions, $75 for 60 minutes. There's a fully jogging track and a volleyball court.
The spa cuisine is pretty good nice and light. Also for breakfast they have cut of fruit, bananas, oranges, and grapefruit halves. If you include that for breakfast you can cut down on things like bacon and eggs. The last two I can't help you with I have never been to Cozumel. But have the chocolate melting cake in the dining room not of the buffet it's not the same under the heating lamps.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Here is an article on the spa cuisine. However, don't get the diet pumpkin pie it was just awful.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4521463&EDATE=

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Passenger

Thanks Katlady! That was the sort of info I was looking for!

And alomst forgot the most important question:

5. Is there Karaoke on this ship? Please say there is Karaoke!

8)
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Karaoke every night
Congrats on the weight loss and Enjoy your trip!
Truimph May 2007
Fascination (1st time w/DD) May 2008
Pride (with DD & DS) November 2009
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by trintrin86
Thanks Katlady! That was the sort of info I was looking for!

And alomst forgot the most important question:

8)
I love Karaoke, just be sure to know the group and theme of the song you want to sing. It makes it easier to find in the book. The only nights there it's regular karaoke is when they had tryouts for the Legend shows. Here is a more detail thread on karaoke. http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...hlight=karaoke

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Admiral

I have only done the yoga classes once and it was a joke. No room to move (they held it in a bar, because another class had the spa/gym). And, not a good instructor. But, the workout facilities are pretty good. Not that I use them, but hubby and a neighbor and a nephew who are really into fitness were all impressed.
Also, the fish on board at dinner is usually quite good. Salad bar at the buffet for lunch and I eat tons of fresh fruit and veggies.
If you use the stairs on board instead of elevators, you can also work quite a bit of excercise into your day. I am older and disabled now, but I used to lose weight on cruises when I chose to. Not as hard as it might seem.
Have fun!
Marty
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat
Default Re: My First (Real) Cruise Ever!

Quote:
So after having a really terrible time on a one day gambing cruise boat to the Bahamas, my mother has finally talked me into going on a real cruise boat. Been doing a lot of reading here at Cruisemates and I'm actually getting really exciting about my oceanview suite! ^_^

I have a couple of questions relating to Carnival (specifically the Inspiration) and was hoping some folks could give me a few honest opinions.

1. I recently lost quite a bit of weight (21 lbs so far!) and want to make sure I can continue my exercise program while I'm on the cruise. How are the gym facilities? Is it worthwhile paying the supplement for a yoga class or two?

2. Tied into the first question, while I definetely plan on trying the melting cake , how is the "spa cuisine"?

3. Has anyone tried the "Great Cozumel Race" shore excursion? Is it as fun as it looks?

4. Are the any nice, romantic things anyone can suggest doing in Cozumel or Grand Cayman? Hubby and I will be a bit shy of our 1 year anniversary, but we want to do something a little special. :-)
1) Congrats on the weight loss! As mentioned, you can lose or not gain on the cruise. I take stairs instead of elevators and have yet to see a cruise where I've gained anything. The gym equipment is good if you don't want to pay for classes, and sometimes they have classes for free.

2) You cannot miss the chocolate melting cake. It's fabulous. And I order things that Spa Carnival recommends quite often because it's good.

3) Not sure about the Great Race, but there are tons of options out there. You can google cozumel excursions and see a host of websites that offer excursions or book through the ship. The Sea Trek excursion is pretty cool.

Have a great time, I'm sure you will!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

I know it might sound a little hokey....but I enjoy walking along the beach holding hands very romantic.

Grand Cayman 7-mile beach..is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Walk along the beach, and then walk out into the water together and float on the wave for a bit. very romantic to me.
One of the most beautiful spots on earth.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: My First (Real) Cruise Ever!

Quote:

1) gyms on the "fun ships" are great from my perspective
2) Melted cake is "can't miss"
3) I'm wondering the same thing. That sounds like I plan for me next April.
4) sorry but I'm not romantic

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:

8)
The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I just got off "Inspiration" on Saturday, and you'll be happy to know that yes, there is karaoke every night. There is no "Legends Show" aboard "Inspiration", as they offer that show only on 7 day and longer cruises. There is however, a passenger talent show, that is a lot of fun. The karaoke was good, with a huge book of songs, all listed by title. The karaoke hostess was new, and not very good on our cruise, but may get better by the time you sail. She was from Indonesia, and spoke very fast, and not at all clearly, and insisted on making some kind of strange noise all the time. There were loads of children aboard our cruise, and they tended to take over karaoke, but once again, that may not be a problem when you sail. Overall, a GREAT cruise, and loads of fun.

Ken
"SKY"
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Ken and Vita,
Tell us all about your trip. Those of us back on shore are waiting to hear the highlights.

jojo
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

On Grand Cayman, you MUST, MUST, MUST, do StingRay City. Look up Nativeway tours and/or Capt. Marvins on the net. Book with either of them, they are both very good. Do not book with the cruiseline, too crowded and more expensive.
Next trip to the Caymans you can be romantic, StingRay City has to be FIRST.

Coz, you have to research. There are a thousand things to do there. The whole island was built to be a tourist attraction.
You could do something as simple as a superb native dinner at Palmera's or Pancho's Back Yard. Palmera's is more authenic, both are good. Palmera's has the best "ritas" on the island.
Or go to Carlos & Charlie's. Your man could buy you a shooter there and it will get very 'romantic'!!!

Dan