Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Beginner

Default Has anyone experienced neighbor's balcony smoke?

Our neighbors just returned from a 14-day Alaska Cruise on Princess and couldn't enjoy their balcony because their neighbors were heavy smokers. We'll be on Spirit on a 8 day cruise (Empress deck, #6170). We were soooo looking forward to enjoying the balcony. Now I'm concerned. Has anyone experienced stinky neighbors?? 8) Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Admiral

No I have never experienced heavy smoking on the balcony. But HEAVY smoking in the room. The people next to us smoked SO MUCH in their room that every time you walked by their room you could smell smoke. The door wasn't even open! At the end of the cruise when they were cleaning it and left the door open it was horrible becuase of the smoke.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

We would always find cig butts on our balcony from the morans (my spelling) who threw them over the side.

Usually the breeze will help, but if it was excessive I guess it could be a problem.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I had smokers on the Triumph next to me. They were not heavy smokers, I was just glad that most of the time the wind was blowing it away from my balcony!!!!

As for smopking in the cabins, I have always been told by the stewards that smoking IS NOT ALLOWED in the cabins no matter what...on deck only.....They'd have to febreeze the hell out of the cabins if they did allow smoking!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Beginner

I hate to sound like a drama queen but you guys just ruined my day. So this means some moron could toss his butt (freudean slip) from a deck above us and land in my lap? And I'm paying for a suite which could possibly smell like a --- an ashtray? Niiice... Tell me the staff somehow gets rid of the smell.. :evil:
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I had smokers on the Triumph next to me. They were not heavy smokers, I was just glad that most of the time the wind was blowing it away from my balcony!!!!

As for smopking in the cabins, I have always been told by the stewards that smoking IS NOT ALLOWED in the cabins no matter what...on deck only.....They'd have to febreeze the hell out of the cabins if they did allow smoking!
Sorry but you are a "misguided angel"....smoking is allowed in all the cabins except the spa cabins
5/'06 Celebrity Zenith
6/'06 Carnival Legend
9/25/06 Carnival Legend
10/29/06 11 nite NCL Spirit
2/4/2007 Carnival Legend
May 14-25th, Carnival Fascination...3 B2B's
9/24/07 Carnival Miracle
11/7/07 Carnival Miracle
1/14/08 Fascination
1/18/08 Carnival Miracle (Platinum on this one!)
2/25/08 Fascination
4/21 & 4/26/08 B2B on the Imagination
Future cruises:
9/7/08 Legend
11/16/08 Legend
1/26 & 1/31 Destiny B2B
Old August 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Love,
I wouldn't worry about smelling your neighbors cigarette smoke. We had one next door neighbor that did smoke and even though we do too, you couldn't smell it when he was. The cabin attandant will provide ash trays for those people who do smoke on their balcony, I never saw any butts flying around.

Just go and have a great cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

The balcony with the butts was an aft if it makes a difference. There was one just about every morning. I picked them up at first thinking they may have just been a previous person in that cabin, but nope that wasn't it. (and on different cruises) Conquest class.

I don't recall any on RCCL aft balconies.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
The balcony with the butts was an aft if it makes a difference. There was one just about every morning. I picked them up at first thinking they may have just been a previous person in that cabin, but nope that wasn't it. (and on different cruises) Conquest class.

I don't recall any on RCCL aft balconies.
Snooze,

Many cabins, especially aft balcony cabins, pick up cigarette butts and other bits of debris from the crew washing down the upper decks. I have been in an aft balcony and had a shower each day when they washed down the pool deck above and each day there was a wet cigarette butt and some wet paper that came with it.

Misguided:

Sorry, but on all Carnival ships you can and always have been able to smoke "inside" the cabins, except the newly created Spa Cabins. If a steward told you that smoking was not allowed they either were telling you what you wanted to hear or too lazy to get an ashtray.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

No, but I did encounter smoke from another source a few times. Somebody was keeping a buzz on.
Old August 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Very risky to do that on a cruise ship.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

While laying out on the balcony I nearly got burned by some flicking a butt overboard on our last cruise.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:40 PM
Admiral

We had some "funny" cigarette smokers on the Freedom last year, next to us. I mentioned that I was retired law enforcement and they never did it again.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Admiral

Wow smoking is allowed in cabins on Carnival??

No smoking in cabins on Royal! 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Captain

Our neighbors on the Valor loved Cigars and loved even more to smoke on their balcony. After day three we poked our heads around the divider and asked them very nicely if there was any way that they could hold off on the cigar smoking until after we enjoyed the sunset with our kids on the balcony and then we would go in and close the door and they could smoke away. The guys were wonderful and the next day had ordered a bottle of wine for us to apologize for the smoke drifting over and God love them we didn't smell cigar smoke the rest of the trip.

In all honesty though even if they had told us to go get stuffed, we wouldn't have said anything else to them because they paid as much for their trip as we did and had as much right to smoke responsibly on their deck as we did to take pictures of the sunset and laugh and joke and play with our kids on the balcony.
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Admiral

I had smokers in the cabin next to ours. They smoked on the balcony and in the room Everytime we went on the balcony they were smoking. Everytime we entered our cabin it smelled of cigarette smoke. The cruise was great but the smoke was not.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
First Mate

We have had smokers next to us on the balcony before. The only time it was a problem was when we first opened the balcony door. If they were out there smoking it would get sucked in by the draft when we opened the balcony door. Once we closed the door and went out on the balcony it was fine.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Passenger

Have never had a problem with smokers on a balcony (and being a tolerant ex-cigarette smoker myself). However, that being said, if it was cigar smoke you better believe I'd be annoyed. I live in Florida in a condo highrise and it seems like every time I go out to my balcony the man living TWO floors above us is out smoking his cigar and the way the wind blows it's always down on our balcony. Yecch! and we end up having to go in. It's not going to happen but I think cigars should be banned - period.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
First Mate

No. This is always talked about. I think it would be good if all cabins were smoke-free though. There were some ladies across the hall from us, in an inside cabin, smoking up a storm. Trust me, the air in the hallway was blue since they kept their cabin door open. Balconies fine, cabins no. As long as it's legal, which it is, there should be designated areas. I do like Royal Caribbean forbidding it in your cabin. Nice touch.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Beginner

Well if anyone from Carnival is reading/monitoring I'd like to be the first to vote NO SMOKING in cabins. 8)
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes!

My neighbors!

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I see you have already selected your cabin and I think it is on the Port side....so that is good.

The only recommendation I make when someone is wanting to select a balcony and they do not smoke...is to get it on the PORT side....because
the crew takes their smoke breaks outside on the Starboard side under the balconies. (especially the Starboard balconies to the AFT of the ship)

As far as neighbors, unfortunately it is the unluck of the draw.

I can recommend that you go to Walmart and purchase two of the small battery operated fans that will clip on your deck chairs. You can use these to redirect the smoke if necessary.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Captain

We have had to actually leave our balcony before due to cigar smoke. We could not tell where it was coming from, to even ask them to stop. We asked the steward and he said it was allowed.

On our most recent cruise there was a cabin a couple of doors down between our cabin and my son's cabin that was always full of smokers. About 5 or 6 of them would gather in this cabin and leave the door open. You could barely stand to walk past it.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
We have had to actually leave our balcony before due to cigar smoke. We could not tell where it was coming from, to even ask them to stop. We asked the steward and he said it was allowed.

On our most recent cruise there was a cabin a couple of doors down between our cabin and my son's cabin that was always full of smokers. About 5 or 6 of them would gather in this cabin and leave the door open. You could barely stand to walk past it.
They are not suppose to leave the door open because smoking is not allowed in the hallways. You could have called Security on that one and had Security ask them to keep the door closed.

As for Cigars, those are not allowed on balconies either. The Capers are very clear (usually in BOLD print) that cigar smoking is ONLY ALLOWED
______ and________. Again, IF you could have found who was doing it...you could have called Security to handle it.

I prefer to allow Security to earn their money. That way it does not turn into a wee wee contest.

The GREAT NEWS is that Carnival does now have NON SMOKING CABINS!!! Unfortunately, they are only on the Splendor. The Spa Cabins and Balconies are nonsmoking!!! But they will be on the Dream and the Magic when they sail.

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
We had some "funny" cigarette smokers on the Freedom last year, next to us. I mentioned that I was retired law enforcement and they never did it again.
Just got off the Legend yesterday and get this... We had just left the nightclub at 2:30 in the morning and went to the aft pool area since it's the last bar open (til 4am). There were a group of young adults playing cards and one of the girls fired up a joint. It didn't bother me, just surprised me. I don't think the bartender noticed or didn't care. Some people are a little too brave for my taste.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Just got off the Legend yesterday and get this... We had just left the nightclub at 2:30 in the morning and went to the aft pool area since it's the last bar open (til 4am). There were a group of young adults playing cards and one of the girls fired up a joint. It didn't bother me, just surprised me. I don't think the bartender noticed or didn't care. Some people are a little too brave for my taste.
The bad thing is that someone sitting nearby who perhaps does not recognize the smell could inhale enough to register on a test in a very short period of time. It could cost them their job.

Old September 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Non-Smokers Beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
I see you have already selected your cabin and I think it is on the Port side....so that is good.

The only recommendation I make when someone is wanting to select a balcony and they do not smoke...is to get it on the PORT side....because
the crew takes their smoke breaks outside on the Starboard side under the balconies. (especially the Starboard balconies to the AFT of the ship)

As far as neighbors, unfortunately it is the unluck of the draw.

I can recommend that you go to Walmart and purchase two of the small battery operated fans that will clip on your deck chairs. You can use these to redirect the smoke if necessary.
That's great advice, lhp!

BTW, the staterooms I've reserved for my next two cruises are starboard aft, so that my girl and I can bask in the moonlight on our way to Miami. So, I recommend that any non-smokers who object to cigar smoke reserve rooms portside toward the prow, hehehehe...
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
The bad thing is that someone sitting nearby who perhaps does not recognize the smell could inhale enough to register on a test in a very short period of time. It could cost them their job.
Agreed! A cruiseship is no place for such activities.

I read another thread along time ago where the people checked into their cabin and complained it smelled of smoke and in less than an hour Carnival stripped the linens, towels and curtains. Shampooed the carpets and washed the walls and had the new guests settled in quickly. Props to Carnival. However they could've save themselves the manhours and trouble by banning smoking in the cabins.

I think smoke on the balconies is minimal at best. Stayed next to several smokers and have caught a whif, but never bad enough to cause me to go inside.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Familiar Face

"The bad thing is that someone sitting nearby who perhaps does not recognize the smell could inhale enough to register on a test in a very short period of time. It could cost them their job."

No, that's not true. It's an old wive's tale and is just not possible. If it were true then every single person would get off after a positive drug test because they all use the "I was hanging out with other people who were smoking" defense. Diagnostic laboratory testing reports positive drug screens only when a threshold level is encountered. It is impossible to obtain this level with passive inhalation in a room with someone smoking MJ, let alone on the deck of a cruise ship. So RELAX.

2littletime - Thank you for being a human being and approaching your neighbors in a friendly manner. As they proved, just because we smoke cigars doesn't mean we're not nice people too. And kudos to them for sending over the wine. I would have done the same exact thing, and likewise, you would never again have smelled any smoke coming from my side.
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Captain

we are smokers and sometimes it is hard to feel ok with these types of posts. Mostly because there tends to be a hint of "what scumbuckets they must be to be smokers!" Now i understand it was said like that, but there are often undertones in comments that can be read as such.

I understand non smokers are bothered, and i respect them greatly. I never smoke where its not ok, and if someone seems bothered i put it out, or make sure they are down wind or i'm not just blowing any which way. I also do believe its fair to ban smoking inside the state rooms. I dont smoke in my own house i'm not about to be bottled up in a 14x14 foot room with smoke hanging around. As for balconies tho, no way. I probably wouldnt cruise if it meant having to hike all the way up to the lido deck or the casino just to have a smoke.

On that note, cigar's dont bother me that much, i love a good pipe smell, but if its not allowed on the balcony (the cigar) and it bothered you, its fine to call security and let them know to please KINDLY ask the room next to yours to refrain from the cigars. (not everyone will be as kind as the gentleman who stopped his smoking AND sent wine, believe me."

As for pot. Its illegal everywhere. I'd most definitly call security on that one. For gosh sakes, there are children on board. I dont care who you are, i'll bust you if i see you.

Have a nice day! (lol)