Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Southern Caribbean...EXCURSIONS vs. DAYS ON THE BEACH

We're taking our two kids, ages 18 and 22. Where should we spend $$ on an excursion and where should we hang at the beach?? The ports are Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, and P.R.
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:31 PM
Passenger

I think it depends what interests you. We went to Blackbeards Castle in St Thomas and it was great! They took you on a bus tour up a mountain to see sights, then back down and dropped you at the Castle and whenever you were finished there you were right by all the shops! The day was as long or short as you wanted to make it.
We didn't do anything special in PR because we arrived at 5pm so all we did was souvenier shop before it started pouring!!
Antigua we just walked around the port a little. We had the stingray excursion booked but had to reschedule it for Nassau because my friend hurt her foot and we were glad we did that. The one in Antigua was one where you had to jump off the side of a boat into the water and the one is Nassau was on a beach where you could go as close or far as you wanted or not go in at all. That one was much better for us.
We are going to St Kitts and St Lucia in December so I have no answers for you there! Sorry....
I would see what interests you the most and what all of you would like to do. Personally, I love to relax on vacation with a minimal amount of running around. That is why we did 2 excursions in 5 ports last year. On our next 2 cruises there weren't really any excursions that jumped out at me so I have not booked any yet and I am ok if I don't! I enjoy souvenier shopping for ornaments from each port for my kids and grandkids. We also collect local currency and postcards so that they have something from each place we go to. The ornament collection grows and it can be passed down. All I do is add the year to them if it isn't already on them. The big plus is that they don't take up alot of room in the suitcase!!
Have fun, whatever you do
Deb
Glory - 2006
Liberty - 2007
Pride - 9/28/08 - 30th anniversary cruise
Miracle - 12/7/08
Old September 1st, 2008, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Southern Caribbean...EXCURSIONS vs. DAYS ON THE BEACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman1986
We're taking our two kids, ages 18 and 22. Where should we spend $$ on an excursion and where should we hang at the beach?? The ports are Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, and P.R.
I did that itinerary back in April. I can't recall seeing any beaches within walking distance so one will need a tour, a taxi, or maybe a bus in order to hang out on the beaches.
Best beaches? Antigua, but you will need transportation to them. I did Carnival's tour = Historic Antigua & beach. Lovely !!
Barbados= 4x4 & Green Monkey encounter though Carnival. But this island does have some great beaches
Dominica= Dominica Favorites....2 wonderful waterfalls. from my limited understanding this island isn't a beach destination.
St Kitts= I visited Brimstone Hill Fort which is a must see for history buffs. To me it has quit a "cool" factor. 8) I don't know much about the beaches there.
St Lucia = I did an island tour. Don't know much about beaches.
St Thomas= I did an island tour, but understand this island has great beaches.
San Juan= city tour, but did see what appears to be great looking beaches.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Admiral

For Antigua, look up a guy called Lawrence of Antigua. We have used him twice. Google his name and you will find his website and what the tours offer. Bob
Old September 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're going on this cruise in March. We've tried to think of a good blend of things to do so that we won't get maxed out and yet still get to see what we want:

St. Thomas - shop/sightsee/beach trip
Dominica - island tour
Barbados - catamaran/snorkelling trip
St. Lucia - land/sea tour
Antigua - beach day
St. Kitts - beach day

Kim
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Captain

We did an itinerary similar to this in 2007 and it was great for seeing lots of places. We did a private tour of Dominica with one of the cabs that we negotiated on the pier and it was wonderful, we went to waterfalls and botanical gardens and were taken around the island, we didn't spend any beach time because it really didn't seem to be a beach destination. We did swim in the waterfalls and that was awesome. We were with the driver several hours and if I recall correctly it was about $20 per person.

St. Lucia we used Cosol (sp?) and that was totally awesome and although I'm adventurous I'd probably do a tour on this island again just to see all the parts that I know that we must have missed despite a lengthy tour.

Antigua has a wonderful beach at fort st.james where there is a old fort that is falling down but you can still explore it. The beach was fantastic there and we could see the ship from the fort. The cab ride was $10 return and there was a little canteen right on the beach. At one end of the beach they were offering horseback riding on the beach for $20 per person for 2 hours which was a great deal but the kids were having so much fun on the beach we just hung out there, it was like our own private island since we only had to share it with about 20 other people. It was a perfectly relaxing day and much enjoyed by all.

Everyone has their own opinion and we understand this but it was suggested that we head to the beach in Barbados because that would be the best beach day, funny enough it was the only day that we went to the beach were nobody was really impressed. So we spent only a couple hours there and went back to the ship. All of our group was overwhelmed by the aggressiveness of the taxi drivers in Barbados and I don't know if that set the tone for the day or not but no one was really excited. I personally would go back to Barbados but I would prebook an excursion if for no other reason that to spare myself the torture of being mobbed by the cab drivers, for my husband and I Barbados made Jamaica look tame

I hope some of this is useful to you.