CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   WEIGHT GAIN??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/355548-weight-gain.html)

upsman1986 September 1st, 2008 09:35 AM

WEIGHT GAIN???

How much can you possibly gain on one cruise? I've been on cruises before and know all about the food everywhere you look, but a coworker of mine says he gained 15lbs in 7 days.

Floridanamaw September 1st, 2008 10:01 AM

Then all he did was eat and sleep. I have always lost a few pounds. We hardly ever take the elevator, we use the stairs. We do not over eat. Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to eat 24/7. I don't see how he gained that much weight in seven days. It seems impossible to me.

wakedreams September 1st, 2008 11:06 AM

ive gained a few pounds...but the walking in ports usually burns off most of the midnight buffet.... and the buckets of beer and the miami vices...and the dirty martinis...and and...the champagne.
oh....and the chocolate melting cake.
;)

Libragirl September 1st, 2008 12:37 PM

I don't normally weigh, but I know I have lost weight on some of the cruises we have been on. I can tell by how my clothes fit. We've taken several Med. cruises where I definitely lost weight because of all the walking we do in the ports. :D

SeaWench September 1st, 2008 12:53 PM

That seems insane. We eat the major meals but honestly we stick to the liquid diet most of the day :wink:
There is so many ways to excersise on board even just walking on deck you can burn calories. CRAZY

ragtiki2005 September 1st, 2008 02:15 PM

The eating of all the food in site seems to get old after your 2nd or 3rd cruise. I see people racing from one buffet to the other like they have not eaten in days! Too much food for me makes me feel tired and lazy. I just eat when hungry. Bob

2Littletime September 1st, 2008 04:17 PM

I agree with the others who have said that you'll be walking enough not to worry about gaining lots of weight. I haven't gained anything on any of the cruises we've been on but there have been three where I have lost weight. When you walk and swim and snorkel for 6-8 hours for 4 or 5 days in a week you've burned far more calories than what you'll eat even if you indulge a few times. I've seen some people go really crazy with the food and I wouldn't be surprised if they did gain weight. Supposedly to gain a pound you need to eat an extra 3500 calories, that's a lot of calories......

bewitched September 1st, 2008 07:58 PM

I agree, with all the walking around the ship and in the ports, I don't know how you could gain that much weight. 8)

upsman1986 September 1st, 2008 08:14 PM

This is now funny, this guy is tracking this board, and now says he only gained 9lbs. Hell, as a fellow UPS man, I gain 8lbs. per cruise. I also can lose that after two weeks back at work .

Paul B September 1st, 2008 09:33 PM

Never gained a pound on 25 cruises, and I eat a lot.

reverendjeff September 2nd, 2008 12:13 PM

My personal record is an 8 pound gain on a 7 day cruise. On that particular cruise I worked out often during the day. After that, I seldom work out, and usually gain around 4 pounds on a 7 day. I have noticed like another has said that I do not tend to eat as much as I used to.

mehawk September 2nd, 2008 12:35 PM

You can gain but I doubt if double digits are the norm. I have always lost weight as the meals I eat are actually more nutricious than I usually eat at home. :shock:

katlady September 2nd, 2008 12:38 PM

Re: WEIGHT GAIN???

Quote:

Originally Posted by upsman1986
How much can you possibly gain on one cruise? I've been on cruises before and know all about the food everywhere you look, but a coworker of mine says he gained 15lbs in 7 days.

That would be over 2 pounds a day. :shock: I'm not certain that is possible. I think he didn't weight himself before the cruise or weighted himself at different times of the day.

The most I have ever gained was 5 pounds.I gain one pound on my last 14 day cruise. We went to Eurpore and walked a lot in the Vatican and through Rome and Venice. :D

love2krooz September 2nd, 2008 04:18 PM

Can beat that one! My brother went on at 260 and came off at 280. No lie. I have already lost wt. on a cruise...I go to the gym and walk alot at the ports. Some I have gained on, about 7 lbs. or so..comes right off soon after coming home. Get back into the old routine again, LOL. :)

mehawk September 3rd, 2008 09:14 AM

Gain 20 pounds in a week??! I don't see that. Did you actually weigh him before and after, or are you going by what he said?

love2krooz September 3rd, 2008 07:59 PM

I didn't personally weigh him. I do know his alcohol intake was unbelievable to say the least. Maybe up to a case of beer a day plus countless pizza's until 4am! LOL.

Better him than me.

He goes with me again in 10 days, I will record his beginning and ending wt. this time myself.

ragtiki2005 September 4th, 2008 09:56 AM

Wow, a case of beer per day! Sounds like Dave the Wave!

Paul B September 4th, 2008 11:15 AM

A case of beer a day! I would hate to see his bill at the end of the cruise.

If he drank that much beer , I doubt that he would remember how much weight he gained or even remember the cruise, :-P

love2krooz September 4th, 2008 08:34 PM

He's not the only one in our group that does that feat! Out of our group of 22, I would say that 6 of them drink that much each day! Including my DH, soooooo, our bill will be outrageous. Carnival loves us...lol
Hmmm, no wonder I am contemplating smuggling.

wehearttravel September 5th, 2008 04:55 PM

weight gain

I have gained 9 pounds on a 5 day cruise. My sister and I both worked out as well but every time you lookd up, we were eating. I always anticipate weight gain and bring workout clothes and am fierce about working out daily to try to keep it to a minimum.

This last cruise, I gained about 3 pounds on a 7 day cruise but took it off the next week when I returned home.

Its so much fun, I wouldnt have it any other way!

Angela

colorcrazie September 6th, 2008 02:04 PM

I never weigh myself right after we get back. I put on a ton of water weight on cruises. Not saying that I have never gained a pound or two or....of fat, but I come off the ship looking like I swallowed half the ocean. I wait until I get rid of that before weighing myself!
Marty

nurseypoo5 September 8th, 2008 12:20 AM

i gained 5lbs on a 7 day cruise, but gained 7 lbs on a 5 day cruise...

hubby gained 10 on the 5 day cruise. We did eat the chocolate buffet, and drank more on the 5 day cruise.

upsman1986 September 17th, 2008 09:59 PM

Looking at some of these replies, I really think I'm eating way too much on these cruises. I can pretty much gain 8 lbs. every cruise we take. My wife hates me at times because of what I can burn, just sitting on my butt after a cruise. The last cruise in Jan. we cruised the first week and sat at home for the second, I lost all 8lbs. by Wed. sitting on my butt watching TV.

spencercoop September 17th, 2008 10:13 PM

I don't gain any weight and I eat a lot of food. I never eat desert at home but I always eat dessert on cruises. I always eat so much food, thats all I can say and I don't gain any weight. I guess I am just lucky!!

dotbowels September 18th, 2008 06:37 PM

I usually gain a little because I eat 4 meals a day and lots of deserts. My metabolism keeps the gains minimal and then I starve myself for a week when I get home.

ferrangi September 18th, 2008 07:54 PM

Re: WEIGHT GAIN???

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:

Originally Posted by upsman1986

That would be over 2 pounds a day. :shock: I'm not certain that is possible. I think he didn't weight himself before the cruise or weighted himself at different times of the day.

The most I have ever gained was 5 pounds.I gain one pound on my last 14 day cruise. We went to Eurpore and walked a lot in the Vatican and through Rome and Venice. :D

Oh believe me it's possible... you remember I needed a scale on board so I could keep myself in check? Well, In about 12 days, (7 days being on the cruise) I gain about 9 lbs... this was extremly good for me since I ate and drank pretty much anything and everything I wanted.
But for someone my size (I don't know how much the friend of the OP weighs) I could drop or gain 5 to 10 lbs in a week easy, just by a good old fashion bbq and beer or a couple of nights out etc....
That's why when I lost 38 lbs before me cruise it was importantant to me that I didn't gain it all back.
I did by the get on the treadmill while on the cruise... (only once) but it was one more time than last cruise... lol
Also we walked alot too. I'm getting back on track now and hoping to start losing the cruise weight again. :wink:
By the way... the scale did not weigh my size, so I was not able to keep track at all while on vacation.. for someone who weighs at least twice a day, it was killing me, but I did ok, choc meliting cake and all.

huffca September 19th, 2008 10:53 AM

As you can see from my picture I'm a pretty big lady who likes to eat. I love good food and one of my favorite things about vacation is thinking about the places we will eat. Love watching the travel shows on the Food Network. And, if we saw it on the Food Network we put it on a list. And the cruises have wonderful food. So I certainly start thinking about it.

My first 2 cruises were Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose cruises on Carnival. We ate from the regular menue with some additional items we could order that were not on the regular menu. I lost on those cruises and didn't feel deprived. And on the other cruises I've been on I've either stayed the same or lost. I've lost over 100 lbs and want to keep going down. Even if it is slow.

What I love about cruising is eating in the dining room. The dining room makes it easy to eat deliciously and healthy at the same time. Portions are more in controll than at the buffet. They usually have what they call "spa" selections wich are lower in fat or carbs or both.

I can't do the stairs for a couple of reasons ...my knees. But I find I do more walking on the ship than I do in my everyday life.

A few tips I learned on the CTL's are:

*Eat in the dining room as much as possible. It is easier for portion control. Avoid the buffets as much as posssible. But hey they are fun and sometimes they are easy and fast when you are heading out for a shore tour.

* Have your breakfast in the dining room. Take a look at the lunch & dinner menus when you exit. They always post the menu's for the day right outside of the dining room. That way you can plan how you want to eat for the day. Just make a mental note. If there is something at dinner that is a true indulgance then eat a little lighter during the day. More fruit & veggies, salads with lighter dressings.

*Oh and try to go light on the booz :-) I bet you find you won't gain. Enjoy!

nurseypoo5 September 19th, 2008 06:50 PM

even if you kinda watch your diet, most people will gain atleast .5 lb per day. This isnt the time to diet lol. I do however gain huge amounts of fluid retention, my ankle swell (if it hadnt been for someone giving me a lasix my first cruise i would have had cankles by the second day) so a lot could well be fluid retention!

lots of salt in those foods and the salt air tends to puff me up also.

Trip September 19th, 2008 07:23 PM

I have never weighed mysel, before oer after any of my cruises..BUT

I am anticipating a different focus on my cruise in Feb. [I hope] I am in the process of losing weight, and I am at 16 pounds and counting. I am hoping you will be able to see through me by then:)

Seriously though, it's easy for me to say this now, and I sure hope I can folllow through, by walking a couple of laps a day, and choosing what meal I want to over eat:) We shall see..I am holding off buying anything for the cruise, to see what size I end up....fingers crossed.....

BrwnEyedGirl September 19th, 2008 08:58 PM

The only cruise we took that my clothes felt a little snug towards the end was to Alaska. Eating and napping seemed to come around a bit more. Seems when we cruise warmer weather we walk more, dance more, just all around more active and when it's warmer we seem to like the salads and fruit better and never take naps. LOL