Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Books to Cruise With..ahhhh:)

For all of us who love to read, and are looking for a couple of good books to take on your cruise....I have to say, run don't walk, and get, Social Crimes, and One Dangerous Lady, by Jane Stanton Hitchcock ...read them in that order, too.

Have you ever wanted the book you are so engrossed in, to grow by 300 pages? These 2 juicy, good from page one books will do just that! I am hoping there will be another book to follow up these great reads!

Some of my most favorite authors are: Edna Buchanan, Stuart Woods. Elaine Viets, Nancy B Cohen, Sue Grafton, to name a few..as you can see I love a good mystery!

Please add your favorites to this list....I hope it grows long, and we all can enjoy each others favorites!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Passenger

I leave sunday on Legend. Am taking new Stuart Woods, James Patterson, and Janet Enovitch (sp). Probably won't have time to read all 3, but I will be prepared!!
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love any James Patterson book. Though I now love Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. I am taking those with me on my next cruise, I have already read them once and looking forward to reading them again.

Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

James Patterson, but not the Alex Cross series...Just about any mystery..last cruise, I took the new Kay Scarpetta mystery, read about 50 pages, and forgot and left it by the pool..when I went back a few hours later, it was gone
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Admiral

I am waiting my book club selections, for the new James Patterson, [Alex Cross,] and, Hot Mahogany from Stuart Woods..I can't wait....

I started the Stephanie Plum series on books on tape,and I love her!
Diane Mott Davidson series, Goldie the caterer is great too...

I bought an mp3 player, so I can download books on that as well. I need another set of eyes to read, and ears to listen:)

Old September 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Passenger

Looks like we are on the same page--get the pun?
Have ya'll heard about Zooba.com you can order books for $9.99. Hardbacks and new releases. You can order as many as you want every month, but you do set up a list and receive one of them a month. This place has saved me a ton of money as I read a lot. The only down fall is if you screw up a order 2 of something you can't send them back.
Carnival Holiday 1-2008
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM
First Mate

Good books for the cruise are more important to me than my clothing!
I belong to a great book club in my neighborhood and read lots of stuff that I might not have picked on my own. Bookseller in Kabul, Water for Elephants, Three Cups of Tea, Please don't go to the Dogs Tonight, Three Junes, anything by Anita Shreve and Joyce Carol Oates, and so forth. We should be reading more Philip Craig. He was a hoot and it's great light reading for a cruise. If you like to fish, that is. I do.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Books to Cruise With..ahhhh:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
For all of us who love to read, and are looking for a couple of good books to take on your cruise....I have to say, run don't walk, and get, Social Crimes, and One Dangerous Lady, by Jane Stanton Hitchcock ...read them in that order, too.
This is what I love about my latest purchase. I got an Amazon Kindle the other week. For those who have never heard of it, it's an ebook reader that uses a new technology called "electronic paper," which means that the screen does not tire your eyes. You can read on it for hours ... just like reading a book. You download all the books from Amazon, and no New York Times bestseller will ever be priced more than $9.99. A free wireless download is included with each purchase, so there is no need to pay for a wireless contract ... the unit uses the same wireless technology as smart phones utilize. Amazon's version of it is called "Whispernet."

I've been downloading books while still at home because I doubt Whispernet will work onboard a ship out to sea. But I've got a good 20 books in there now ... lots of reading material to bring along on my upcoming cruise. Only weighs about ten ounces too. Can't beat that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sweet Clean and Funny

Good morning girls

I had not read a book since high school (just turned 56 Aug 16th) until last summer so i don't have much of a history as a reader. But then i spent 3-1/2 months at my mother in OK see had eye surgery (she has no computer or satalite 2 channels ) My mom loves to reads...Danielle Steel, Nichols Sparks, Nora Roberts and such) but she had a book by Ann B Ross "Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind" it was sweet, clean and FUNNY too Now I've read all her (8 i think) and then found Dearest Dorothy series by Charlene Burbaum i think. Also Nicholas Sparks "The Notebook, The Guardian, At First Sight" GUESS WHAT now I love to read thanks mom and bordom ha-ha!

Any way all the books i've read have been light reading and funny. buT I LIKE IT THAT WAY.

Now I love rainy days even more to curl up with a good book.

debbyedoops
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Rita, I had the original ebook, which has some major issues, I rebought it when these problems got addressed, and love it. Of couse I wanted the Kindle too, but that would be crazy

I love to take it on a cruise, no blowing pages, I can enlarge the font, which I like, and it's such a good conversation starter..

Ain't technology grand?

Old September 4th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I am waiting my book club selections, for the new James Patterson, [Alex Cross,] and, Hot Mahogany from Stuart Woods..I can't wait....

I started the Stephanie Plum series on books on tape,and I love her!
Diane Mott Davidson series, Goldie the caterer is great too...

I bought an mp3 player, so I can download books on that as well. I need another set of eyes to read, and ears to listen
Trip,

I, too, have read most of the James Patterson books. I recently started reading the Stephanie Plum series. I love these books. I've read at least half of the series, so far. I've been checking them out of our local library.
I prefer to read the books, not listen to them on tape or CD. I stay more focused when I am actually reading the books.

Libragirl