Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What's the best time to pay for your cruise??

Should you pay for everything up front, or pay the deposit, then pay by the deadline. What, if any, are tha advanages?
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Captain

We normally just pay the deposit, leave the rest in savings or short term investments and make a little money on it then pay it when the final payment is due. Our old PVP told us that the people that pay in full long before the final payment date are the first to get upgrades but we haven't really been able to prove that having tried it both ways without any sort of consistency from the upgrade fairy.
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is no real advantage to paying it early, might as well wait until its due and pay then. You can be earning money on that and the cruiseline doesn't give you anything extra for doing that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Admiral

I think if they give people an incentive to pay within like 2 weeks after they book a lot more people will do that and then they can have their money way before people cruise.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I really can't see any advantages to paying for the cruise in its entirety when you book, except to put that behind you and start saving for other expenses (transportation, parking (yikes), gambling, drinking).

I booked a cruise for late November in the spring and only paid the deposit. Since I booked this cruise, Carnival has lowered the price twice prior to my final payment due. If your cruise cost is lowered and you have already paid in full, how would your booking agent refund the monies?
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
I really can't see any advantages to paying for the cruise in its entirety when you book, except to put that behind you and start saving for other expenses (transportation, parking (yikes), gambling, drinking).

I booked a cruise for late November in the spring and only paid the deposit. Since I booked this cruise, Carnival has lowered the price twice prior to my final payment due. If your cruise cost is lowered and you have already paid in full, how would your booking agent refund the monies?
My agent said I would either get an upgrade or OBC if the price of my cabin went down. It didn't so I don't have any first hand experience, but that is what she said.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old September 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Have no idea why anyone would want to pay their cruises off in advance of final payment date.

A few days before, just so you know it's done is fine, but KEEP YOUR MONEY in the bank until then.

Even those who make payments on their cruise along the way, should put those payments in the bank and get something for your money.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: What's the best time to pay for your cruise??

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsman1986
Should you pay for everything up front, or pay the deposit, then pay by the deadline. What, if any, are the advantages?
I know of no advantages for paying your cruise off early other than the cruise line can use your money for a long time before you cruise.

Pay it off with a credit card or cash when the final payment is due. If you are saving, or don't want the large payment on your credit card than put it in a bank account. Even 2% interest is better than nothing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me