Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Passenger

Default Carnivals "frustrating" website

Hi everyone! This will be our 2nd time cruising and we decided to try out Carnival ( NCL being the first one). we figured "how will we know which one suits us the best if we don't try a variety of cruise lines?" Anyway, the first one we had with NCL was fabulous! So the bar was set way high ( and I am a very picky person). Anyway, we are very excited for our upcoming cruise onboard the Splendor (gorgeous ship!), we did all the paperwork upfront so we won't be rushing towards the end. But it got very frustrating when we tried to book our excursions. Carnival's website is having major problems (ie excurions are not showing on display therefore you cannot book anything ) I have emailed them countless of times regarding this issue but all they tell me is to keep checking the website again and again. Its been over a month now and it is very disappointing that they cant get their act together. I asked them whether or not we could book it via the phone but stil they referred us to their very dysfunctional website. I don't know who to email or all at this point. I guess i'll just throw a fit if I don't get the excursions that I want :evil: Is anyone having this same problem?
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Admiral

You're right,,,the web site IMO is a mess right now. If you aren't able to book your excursions on line, then make a list of what you want, and upon boarding the ship you'll probably be able to book them aboard. I don't know what time they open the excursion desk, but I'd think it's not long after boarding. I think you'll agree after your first Carnival cruise, that Carnival gives you a great product,,,,and especially considering the price.

Welcome aboard!

Ken
"SKY"
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was able to book my excursion just last week online even though I am cruising in 4 days. I thought it went smoothly since we decided on such a short notice. I am cruising on a different ship so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. You will be able to book once you are onboard the ship as well. I think you will enjoy cruising with Carnival, they treat you great.

Old September 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

Well it probably won't make you feel better....but the website has actually improved in the last year.

We book GTY all the time, and never never never get our cabin number ahead of time unless we use the old hunt and search Kelly method.
Now, they have our cabin number assigned, and posted right along with our other cruise details. Way to go Carnival.

I have book excursions in the past (on the website) without trouble, not sure what is going on now.

Don't give up on Carnival, they really do make improvements all the time.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

MJ -

What Splendor sailing are you on? I am sailing on her nov 29th-Dec 6th and I am having the same issue with the excursions. I have contacted the excursion department quite a few times and they said for some reason they were having issues securing contracts from the tour operators. The last email I received from them was that someone was supposed to be on the site by the end of August. However there is still nothing. I have honestly been busy so I haven't followed up but I am assuming the issue is still the same.

At least in my case it isn't just the website that is the issue. Its the actual lack of excursions.

Good Luck!

Ashley
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Passenger

It will get better.

You should have mentioned your sail date/destination. We are on the Splendor in October in the Med. Excursion listings have developed over the last 6 months and are now pretty complete.

It may well be that Carnival is working on contracts with vendors, hence no listings yet.

Remember too, the Splendor is brand new. The term 'shake down' cruise comes to mind. If you have been reading John Heald's blog, you know that there have been 'new ship' difficulties. None major, just annoying.

Have a great trip!!
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old September 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

I noticed that this spring the excursion section of the website was very flaky. Sometimes working fabulously other times not so much. Could be hosted on a different server farm than the rest of the site and underpowered.

Have fun on the Splendor.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM
cozumelcruising

I had the same problems...it is annoying...you need to have your ticket bought in order to see the prices...no way! But we found this site for information where you will be docking and local arrival times (http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/C...seSchedule.htm) and belive it or not, a full Carnival excursion price list for Cozumel (http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/C...nPriceList.htm)...good luck!
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:28 PM
First Mate

I have noticed another quirk of the Carnival web site. If you search for a cruise then select one it gives you a list of prices that you qualify for. If you search for a cruise then select and fill in the green New Search box in the top left, THEN select cruise you are interested in you may get more special prices that selecting a cruise from the first list.

We already had good “Previous Guest” prices on our December cruise but the New Search gave us and addition line of “Resident Special” prices that were $50 lower per person. Hopefully this will get fixed so everyone will be able to get the cheapest fare they qualify for, but until then be sure and check prices using the New Search box.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Passenger

Hiya all!!! Thanks for the overwhelming response..I deeply appreciate it! We will be sailing in Decmber but I wanted to get everything booked as soon as possible so I won't have to worry about "limited slot" excursions ( which is most of what we picked to do). Although it may not be so much of a big deal but I expected Carnival ( being one of the giants in the cruise industry) to have a fully functional website. As I mentioned before,we have sailed onboard the NCL PEarl right at a time when it was super new and didn't have any problems whatsoever about booking anything online. I mean we are still very excited about our first carnival experience but i bet everyone will become as frustrated as me when they check the website everyday and see no change at all. Also it would be an improvement if they would at least offer excursion bookings via the phone. Oh and before i forget, I was booking our excursion for St. Thomas and found out that they don't offer any choice of time at all. After picking our excursion it automatically booked us for a 7:30 am start. This is very odd for me how they overlookd the fact that not all people wake up at 6:00am to prepare. I guess no excursions for people who party late at night and wake up at 11:00-ish Hmmmm, i guess I'll just have to wait and keep checking everyday! Thank you again, at least I now know I'm not the only one going crazy about this. i will definitely enjoy our cruise, and hopefully get to book the excursions that we want!!!
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to CannerPerl

From my experience that excursions can only be booked online a couple of weeks before your cruise .. that would be the reason you are having an issue ...

Canner
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
Passenger

I doubt that this is the norm when booking excursions. Usually you can pick and choose your excursions the moment you have booked your trip
(which we already did). Otherwise I wouldn't be whining right now