Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Default Attn: All 25yr olds!!!!

6 Fun loving college girls seeking a traveling companion 25 yrs old and up!
My friends and I want to go on a carnival cruise, but two of us are 19 and none of us are 25. If you are willing to be our "chaperone" we would love it so much!!! Any questions?
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Here's a pic of the ladies you would be traveling with!
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, there must be someone 25 or over in each cabin. So, for six of you, you would need at least 2 "chaperones". That's if you put 4 in a cabin, 3 of you and the older one.
So,.....are you buying?

Marty
Old September 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Passenger

on a side not the link dont work

cruising dates ports ect... would help also.
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, are you buying? I think you would need to as the "adult" will be responsible for all of you and holds the liability if any of you get in trouble. It is a moot point anyway because the "minors" must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian only on Carnival. Exceptions are made for married couples. Guest under 21 may not drink alcohol on the ship. If you get caught, the "adult guardian is held accountable". I am guessing your travel agent forgot to mention this fact. I am not trying to burst your bubble completely because I liked going on trips in college too. Carnival is not a viable option for you unless one of the 19 year olds wants to bring Mom. You can however now sail on RCI as they have recently amended their guest age limit. Guests under 21 but over 18 may share a cabin with a passenger over 21 and this passenger does not need to be a legal guardian or parent. The drinking age is still 21 though. This would solve your problem as you could get 2 triple cabins with a 19 year old in each.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Admiral

That is an odd rule isn't it? If you can vote and join the Army at 18 why can't you cruise? Aren't you a "legal" adult at 18? I'm not questioning you facts, I'm questioning the rule. I wonder if it's a federal law or cruiseline policy?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromoGirls
Here's a pic of the ladies you would be traveling with!
[img]
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8419789&ref=mf
[img][/img]
There are a couple of reasons this link didn't work. The Img tags are wrong and Facebook is a subscription site so someone must sign in before viewing the picture. Those types of pictures can't be posted. The same way a picture from an e-mail will not post.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

It is cruiseline policy and in some ways I do not blame them. I remember wanting to go on a cruise while I was in college, not yet 21 but over 18. Booking with RCI back then was no problem neither was Carnival. We opted instead for the Bahamas back then, but the cruise age was no issue. There was also no parental permission required for passengers over 18 but under 21 to drink. This was the early 90's and it was about that time when Spring Break went corporate. The 80's made it affordable and MTV in the 90's made it more popular. Pretty soon a beast had been created that no one could control.

My parents got married in college at 20 and 21 ( still married I am proud to sail and they are still getting along too!). This was the 60's and by the 70's they were parents. I do not think I have to explain the trend of parents that are having children later and later in life. Young parents were in many ways still growing up themselves while their kids matured. I was almost 9 when my mother was my age that I am now and I am not nearly grown up enough for children yet. Maybe when I'm 40 I'll be ready. the point I am making is that kids today are not growing up as fast as I did and I didn't grow up as fast as my parents, or grandparents or so on.

I agree that young people do have the capacity for responsibility as those outstanding young people in our military have shown us. The problem is that they are many times the exception to the rule. I live in Florida and now have spring break in my back yard. I am appalled to think that less than 20 years ago that was me.

I have been on too many cruises where young people have caused disruption due to alcohol and non supervisory parents. I do not know what is wrong with the generation of parents today. They all have blind trust in their kids and would never dream that their precious ( late life miracle baby) would ever do anything wrong. If I acted like some of these kids I would have been locked in my room until I was 25. My Dad still threatens this except now I'm aiming for 40.

Raising the drinking age was a smart move by the Cruiselines in response to the lack of responsibility shown by both the parents and kids. What was interesting is that RCI and Carnival have taken opposite courses in the wake of this. RCI revised it's age policy. It had been raised many years ago from 18 to 21 to travel alone. Guest under 21 must travel with a passenger over 25 or be in an adjacent or adjoining stateroom with a parent. The age requirement for the accompanying passenger has been lowered from 25 to 21. They state that this allows more flexibility for large families and groups. Minors can no longer be served alcohol and therefore chaperones not needed. ( Guess they don't know teenagers as well as they think).

Carnival has reinforced it's age policy in the past years. They seem to be trying to shed their "keg party" image. They require minor passengers to be with a parent or guardian. They will allow for unaccompanied minors in some cases. A family where at least one parent is sailing in the cabin may bring along a friend (s) of a child. Grandparents or other relatives may bring nieces, nephews with parental consent.

Both lines of make exceptions for married couples and perhaps even same -sex couples. This is not official but I do believe that they will make exceptions for active military members. I feel they should. It is too bad that people must be judged solely by a number. Maybe someday drinker will have to pass a maturity test like we do with driving.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Carnival does not require parent or legal guardian, just written permission from them. Took nephews on Carnival this past May. And no drinking at all under age 21, regardless of parents or anyone else.
Marty
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Except in the case where you are the one traveling with them and you have written permission from the parents. You can read the rule on their website. I just don't see the parents of these 19 year olds giving written permission to a complete stranger. That is unless they are total idiots. The adult that goes along is legally responsible for the minors.
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Admiral

P.S. I was kidding about "are you buying". I would never accept legal and personal responsibility for anyone whom I did not know.
Old September 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would have to wonder about anyone willing to sign on for this....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Admiral

PromoGirls,

It might be best to book on Disney or Princess where 18 is the mandatory age per cabin.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
PromoGirls,

It might be best to book on Disney or Princess where 18 is the mandatory age per cabin.
Interesting cause Princess is owned by Carnvial Corporation they have a different age require for each line under the corp?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Admiral

The section below is from princess passager contract. Here is a link to read the entire contract. The minimum age is 21 year old on princess.
http://www.princess.com/legal/passag...ract/index.jsp
Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. Each Passenger hereby agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
PromoGirls,

Not so on Princess.

"Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise."

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Admiral

My info came from Travel and Cruise World.

The following cruise lines require that either 1) All passengers in a cabin must be 18 or older, or 2) If anyone in the cabin is younger than 18 years old, someone in the cabin must be 21 or older: Clipper, Disney Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Silversea and Viking River Cruises.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Here is Disney's policy. http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dc...tionsPopUpPage
Minors under the age of 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older in the same stateroom. The parent or guardian of any minor not traveling with a parent or guardian must appoint an adult to have custody and control over the minor and to contract on their behalf in connection with the Disney Cruise Line vacation. A minor authorization form can be obtained by visiting disneycruise.com and selecting My Disney Cruise or is sent when a document package is mailed. The form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian prior to embarkation at the Disney Cruise Line Terminal. After 9:00 p.m. Beat Street and Route 66 are restricted to Guests 18 years and older.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
My info came from Travel and Cruise World.

The following cruise lines require that either 1) All passengers in a cabin must be 18 or older, or 2) If anyone in the cabin is younger than 18 years old, someone in the cabin must be 21 or older: Clipper, Disney Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Silversea and Viking River Cruises.
It maybe that Princess changed their policy and the Travel and Cruise World hasn't updated the information yet. That Information is correct for Disney cruise line. Most young people can't afford to cruise Silverseas and Viking River Cruises. Is Clipper still around I thought they went out of business.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994