Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Liberty Sept 6-13 Hurricane Ike was a bad boy!!!!!`

Angel here back from a glorious (and excruciatingly HOT) seven day cruise on the Liberty. First of all, no announcement was made as to if a port change would happen. It was announced on Friday when many people were on there way to Miami. I didn't get any information at all from anyone until the port people gave us the sheet of our changes due to Ike.

The route was scheduled for HMC, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grant Turk. We went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan (Honduras). I had a feeling that it was going to swing West instead of East. They could have given us a modified East (three ports and add St. Martin) but opted for a Western route instead. The Glory was also rerouted and joined us in Belize for a hottern heck day of fun, fun, fun!!!!!!

Now for the cruise review:

Flight to Miami--SUCKED!!! (red eye)
Hotel in Miami--Comfortable
Ship--10+
Ports--Old route--can't rate it as we didn't go, new route--10
Food--15 (out of 10)
Entertainment--AWESOME! Steve is sooo funny, and cute

Please forgive me, I must say this, and ladies who've been on the Libety and know what I am talking about, you can nod and say OH YES!!!!! Steve, the cruise director, is one hot dude (and he is Canadian), but Alex the Maitre'd from the Golden Olympian can make any woman (at any age) swoon and fall in love. Alex my dear, you are GORGEOUS!!!! (and I did tell you, and you did blush). We had a rotten table in the dining room and he visited us for quite some time to help us solve our problem (we had a table for eight--all solo cruisers--right in the way of the back door entrance). We were all transfixed on Alex as soon as he wandered over and started talking we were staring at him. I commented on how hot he was the four other ladies at the table agreed...We were sad when we were moved to the back dining room and couldn't see him every day. I did give a nice tip and get a few pics of me with me and two of the other ladies at the table......Alex, if you go on here, you can come visit anytime!!!

Ok, now to the cruise part!

Embarkation--it did take upwards of 45 minutes, but the distance you have you have to go to get on the ship is shorter and it is much easier.

First impression of the ship--WOW!!!! I loved the ship, it almost beats the Conquet!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the day was spent wandering around taking pictures, video, eating lunch, and then unpacking the bags. The muster drill went well, only one woman at the back passed out because it was so hot and stuffy. Everyone was a little disappointed with the changed route, but we all knew there was going to be some form of change and had no idea that it would be a West instead of modified East. I expected it, so I went with the flow along with most of the others. Some people were irate, but they still went on the cruise. They should know if you cruise during hurricane season that you have a 50% chance you'll have a problem...Last year was fine, but not this year.

Second day was a sea day and the most sigificant thing that happened was I burned my arms so bad in just over an hour. I was in pain, serious pain. I had sunburn cream and it helped, but that meant that I wasn't going to be going to Coral Cay for the day at the beach. The sunburn was not quite a 2nd degree, but by the time we left Belize two days later it was a second degree sunburn--even more pain....

Next day was Grand Cayman--I wanted to do Stingray City so I got myself stoked to play with the stingrays.....I first sensed a problem when we didn't dock in Georgetown, but rather we anchored off the South coast. Problem number one was the weather. Second problem was 30 minutes after I got off the tender to wait for my tour....I knew something was fishy when officers and shore tour officials were ashore with two way radios.....It seems Ike was going to extend his reach to give the Caymans some bad weather and ALL shore tours were cancelled at 9:45am and we were told that the ship was going to leave at 1pm instead of 4pm. I saw the waves at Georgetown, so I understand why we couldn't anchor there when I saw how rough it was. I ended up going shopping and was back on the ship before noon. Many people went on a non-ship tour and we were still there at 2pm. We finally left at 2:30 when the last people got back. It seems that 25% of the ship went on nonship tours. Everyone was told to not go in the water as it was too rough to swim. The weather was rough went we left and followed us until the wee hours of the morning.

Cozumel--lovely, but very hot, day in port. We docked with the Triumph (who stayed longer, we left at 6). I went shopping and managed to spend a fair bit in just over 90 minutes. I went with one of the ladies, Laura, at my table. Not much else except shopping. All waterbased tours were cancelled as the water was too rough, again!

Belize!!!!!! I enjoyed Belize. We had to tender in and anchored off quite a ways from shore. It takes a good 15 minutes to get from the ship to the dock in Belize City. I did Altun Ha and city tour. I had a good time, but it was something like 105F and humid (very humid). I enjoyed the ruins and was bold (stupid) enough to climb the tallest pyramid.......How I was going to get down was another question I did not ask until I got to the top...A very nice German man helped me get down the topmost flight of stairs or else I would be scooting down on my butt like many of the others did!!!!!! I did some shopping at the shopping are at the dock and headed back...it was too damn hot....My sunburn turned into a even deeper 2nd degree sunburn at this point!!!

Roatan--lovely place Roatan! The pier was nice and short, finally a short pier!!!!!! The waters are very deep, which is nice, so the pier can be shorter!!!! I did the Discover Roatan tour and enjoyed myself. Headed back to the ship after the tour and crashed because it was even hotter in Roatan than in Belize the day before!!!!!!! We left on time. I think Steve, the CD, reinforced the need to be on time, or "we gotta speed to get back to Miami on time" enough that everyone understood......

Sea day--It was a day of fun, sun, packing, and goodbyes. I enjoyed myself and took advantage of the chocolate buffet. I packed my bags and I barely got everything in the suitcase and carry on. My suitcase weighed 50lbs and my carry on was quite heavy too!!!!! I did some activities and just wandered about. I was sad to pack and say goodbye to those I met, but we all have to leave....

Debarkation--two of the four ladies and I had breakfast together and said a fond farewell to each. Laura dared me to tell Alex how hot he was, AND I DID!!!!! Damn, that man is good looking, I'll have dreams about him..He is well built (I imagine he works out in the gym), bald headed, and 100% drop dead gorgous!!!!. He looks better in his casual dress whites than his darker evening suit....OK, more about debarkation....I got tag numbrer 30, and I had a 1:30pm flight. They basically told us that we could get off at shortly after 10am because all the bags were offloaded and ready. I had to wait around 30minutes in the customs line and by the time I got through and to the bus it was 11am. We had to wait for the offloading of half the bags and then it was off to the next terminal to drop off the rest of us. I did end up with enough time to get a bite to eat have around 20 minutes to spare before boarding was called. I got seated next to a couple with a baby that was just about a year old (next week) and was not dealing with jet lag very well...he cried and cried...They moved me to another seat so they could have more room and I let the guy in the aisle have the window cuz I'd be getting up more than a few times to stretch my legs--good thing as he fell asleep within 30 minutes of taking off....

Anyhow, I am home now and wish I was back on the ship. I had a great time and overall, everything worked out fine and can't complain about the cruise at all...the flight, I could go on, but how many people really like to fly in cramped economy seats....anyhow, I could go on and on and on......

I shall go now because I still have a lot to do and I hear my couch calling me to rest, I am beat!!!!

Jeanette

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I LOVE YOUR REVIEW!!!

Why the CAPS?

Because they gave you lemons, and you made lemonade!!!

Bravo to you!!!

I am so glad you had fun.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the review, really enjoyed this. We are going on Liberty in November and sounds like we will have fun. We are planning the Western Route so hopefully it will have cooled down a little. Again thanks and am so glad you had a good time.
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Momma-you will like the ship. I found it to be nicer than the Conquest. The only thing I thought nicer was the murals on the Conquest were fabulous and you could just gaze at them and discover something new!!

Do check out the Maitre D of the Golden dining room to see what I am talking about. If all else fails you might spot him on the Lido restaurant in his white short sleeve uniform. You can feel free to gaze and sigh....

I see cruisemates has done a few changes and is adding hyperlinks to some posts

I am pooped, I am gonna go rest!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....