CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Postcard Problems (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/356216-postcard-problems.html)

scubapete September 15th, 2008 07:08 AM

Postcard Problems

We cruised in June to the Eastern Carribean, and decided to get our obligations out of the way in the first port of call. We mailed several postcards from Nassau. Three months later only two of those actually have been delivered. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Guess we should have waited to get to the U.S. Virgin Islands.

dina September 15th, 2008 08:26 AM

I've mailed postcards from all the different islands I've visited. And yes it takes a while for them to show up. Eventually they do get there. Just remember, you can't expect US postal service in other countries.

BobMiller September 15th, 2008 05:55 PM

We sailed the Eastern Caribbean last year and I mailed my daughter a card from every port. A couple made it to her before I got home. The one from Grand Turk took almost 6 months to arrive. She said that was cool though since it showed up completely unexpected and out of the blue.

I was a little stressed at first because it was a nice little hand painted watercolor of island life made and sold by one of the locals. She only charged $1 for it but still to me it was something with a close connection to the Island. She said she was working on a deal to have prints made and sell copies of some of her larger paintings. I’m hoping to go back some day and see if she able to get that going.

Postage was nearly $1 from Grand Turk. San Juan was regular US Mail as was St Thomas. I had to mail the card from Half Moon Cay from the ship since there is no post office there. Regular US postage applies. I don’t think they posted the ships mail until we were back in port. At least that one arrived later than San Juan and St Thomas. It’s possible they made mail drops at the US controlled ports.

Don’t worry too much about the late post card yet. The Caribbean has a pretty laid back attitude and they are not going to get in much of a hurry.

spencercoop September 15th, 2008 06:24 PM

They probably wait until they have a lot to go to the U.S. and then they send them to the U.S. It is probably easier that way.

ferrangi September 15th, 2008 08:36 PM

My postcard from Puerto vallarta has not shown up yet... Next time, I will buy some on the ship and mail them from long beach... :wink:

scubapete September 16th, 2008 07:03 AM

I had no unrealistic expectations about how quickly they would be delivered, nor am I really worried about it. Just wondered if it was common for mail to be that slow. Also, they were some pretty cool cards and I hope they arrive sometime.

ferrangi September 16th, 2008 04:56 PM

I actually never really thought about it... I guess when mailing from a whole other country it's bound to take some time... lol

briguy September 16th, 2008 05:55 PM

Cant remember the last time Ive even seen a postcard. Email has changed everything in this world. Its gotta be fun to see how long it takes to receive one from a cruise. Bet its like putting a letter in a bottle and throwing it in the ocean...

ferrangi September 16th, 2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briguy
Cant remember the last time Ive even seen a postcard. Email has changed everything in this world. Its gotta be fun to see how long it takes to receive one from a cruise. Bet its like putting a letter in a bottle and throwing it in the ocean...

no, i believe putting a letter in a bottle and throwing it in the ocean would be faster... rofl rofl