Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Beginner

Default advice getting from miami port to tri-rail to WPB - quick! h

Hello,
I am somewhat working with a pretty tight schedules upon a return from my cruise.
I am taking carnival imagination which arrives at the miami port on a friday morning at 8am.
I am trying to get back to California to work friday evening and I found a flight out of West Palm Beach at 12:10.....is this doable?

Though tight...there is a tri-rail train out of Miami at 9am arriving in plenty of time at WPB airport at 10:30. This would be perfect.
How on time are the boats for that 8am arrival?
Is the exiting of the boat upon arrival very quick or are there lengthy lines and baggage processes?
How far is it from the port to the Tri-Rail Miami station? How much would it be for a taxi/buss to get there?

If I were not able to make the 9am train; there is a 10am train which in theory would get me to the WPB airport at 11:30am. This is a back-up plan if the first train were missed but it would be cutting it very close at the WPB airport for a 12:10 flight. How on-time are the tri rail trains?

I am hoping that 1 hour would be plenty of time to get from the miami port to the tri-rail though.

And a final back-up plan would be to just rent a car. If the boat was a bit late and we were to miss both 9am and 10am trains - maybe we could just rent a car and high-tail up to WPB. Not sure how long that would take or how much; but it's another fall back on option.

What are my chances on pulling this off???
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The chance of getting off the ship and to the rail station on time (9:00) is slim. I am sorry, these days ships take longer to get cleared by customs and border patrol than they used to. It might not be cleared until 8:30.

If it was possible to get a refundable reservation your could try for it, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

If you do the self debark option you may be able to pull it off. You carry off all of your own luggage and can leave very early.

I have never, ever gotten off the boat in Miami before 9:30 a.m. I have never done the self debarkation option and have always had to wait on deck a bit.

Good luck to you!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Beginner

Default cleared early

Oh wow! I had read another post that the boats are often in port very early (between 5-7am). I did not realize that they usually take longer to clear customs than 8am. It sounded like the early dis-embarkation process would allow for departure before 8am. Is this not the case?
Old September 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I've never seen anyone be able to get off the ship before 8 am. Customs take as long as they need to. As the others have said, don't count on it.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were way late last time getting cleared, they seem to take their time boarding and doing their thing. I would not count on being off on time...
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Passenger

Default Tri Rail Miami to West Palm Bch

Are you going on the Imagination on Mon Sep 22? I will be on that cruise also. I ride the tri rail every day and know it very well. I also used it on my last cruise which was last week so I got familiar with how to get it from the port etc, and I live in West Palm Bch so I know that end of it very well too. If you like we can meet on board and I'll be happy to help you out. My regular email address is susanpalmbeach@hotmail.com