Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Default United Doubles Fee for Second Bag

UAL Corp.'s United Airlines is doubling the fee it now charges for passengers who check a second bag on domestic flights as major carriers look for ways to recoup some of the soaring costs hitting the airline industy.

Boosting the fee to $50 is a first for U.S. carriers and the move comes seven months after the airline was the first to enact a $25 fee on a second checked bag. The increased fee is effective on tickets bought starting Tuesday for travel on or after Nov. 10. Like the original rate, it doesn't apply to customers in business or first class, or on international flights.

More .... http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...4521&gt1=41000

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Soom they will charge $100 for the first bag, and $200 for the second bag and A LOT for every bag after that. Soon it will be cheaper to take a 7 day cruise then it will be to fly.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What next?? I was absolutely floored, when flying UAL a few weeks ago, the charge for a bag over 50 pounds is $125....Unbelieveable!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Captain

Default Re: United Doubles Fee for Second Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark
UAL Corp.'s United Airlines is doubling the fee it now charges for passengers who check a second bag on domestic flights as major carriers look for ways to recoup some of the soaring costs hitting the airline industy.

Boosting the fee to $50 is a first for U.S. carriers and the move comes seven months after the airline was the first to enact a $25 fee on a second checked bag. The increased fee is effective on tickets bought starting Tuesday for travel on or after Nov. 10. Like the original rate, it doesn't apply to customers in business or first class, or on international flights.

More .... http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article...4521&gt1=41000
Oh that is horrible. They are sticking it to the people who can afford it the least.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I will be flying with United in January for my Valor cruise. I booked the flight two-three weeks ago so I am happy I did that because I won't be charged more for the second bag I plan on bringing.

I just got off the Liberty and we did the route I will be doing on the Valor (Western route, different order of ports though). I realized that I cannot pack the clothes I need for a seven day cruise AND have enough room for the goods I buy. I didn't buy much considering my carry on was full at the second port of Cozumel. I didn't buy much in either port, but it doesn't take much to fill it up. I will be bringing TWO suitcases and normal over-the-shoulder carry on for January. Fee or no fee, I will pay....

I found some wonderful items in Belize and Roatan I wanted to buy but knew I'd have no room for them in my suitcase. I can't ship it home because I am Canadian and I'd pay more if I did ship it!!!

I think that more airlines in the US will fold and the fees we get hit with will increase....I can see that they will start to charge for ANY baggage you bring on ALL airlines in the US......WestJet and Air Canada are doing OK and aren't feeing Canadians to death yet....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....