Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Beginner

Default Beware Carnival

:evil: I recently traveled on the Carnival Ecstacy from Galveston to Cozumel. Along comes Hurricane IKE!! We were told we had to show up at the port or loose our money. The cruise line is putting it out there that we were told we could get a refund. 1000 people can tell you this wasnt true. We sailed not to Cozumel but to Vera Cruise where the stop was not enjoyed by very many. Then we were taken to New Orleans instead of back to Galveston which I understood. This is where the phrase" Carnival is not responsible" comes in. They were not responsible for any help or expense in getting back to anyones home..suck it up and pay out of your own pocket. They were not responsible for the "lost" luggage at the beginning of the trip... or at the end... the port authority handlers misplaced the items not them. The lost cars were not their responsibility as the parking lots were owned by private contracters. This was my first and last cruise..BEWARE of any cruise on Carnival as they are NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING!
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
First Mate

Why would Carnival be responsible for your vehicle?

They are correct in stating that they are not resposible for your luggage, it's stated in the small print you received with your documents. It's a risk you take when you checked your bags instead of taking them on yourself.

YOU decided where to park. YOU knew there was a large hurricane brewing in the Gulf, we all did for many many days. YOU decided to go on the cruise despite what was happening....

I don't get why everything is the cruise line's fault when Mother Nature is the cause which is obviously out of the cruise line's control.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Check how many post this person has!!
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J
Check how many post this person has!!
Of course he only has 1 post. This was his first cruise. I can understand that he is wanting to vent and found a cruise message board to do it.

Carnival's fine print does take all responsibility away from them and places it on the consumer. That is why we all preach to buy the insurance. The Carnival guarantee says that they will arrange to get you home if you complain before the first port. Maybe Dutton should have done this and had Carnival send him home as soon as they reached the first port.

This was an act of nature, and Carnival is not responsible (even morally without the fine print) for most of the losses mentioned here. However, Carnival has been very last minute in posting anything about changes due to hurricanes and has, in fact, waited until after the ship sailed on several instances to post anything on its website.

I lost a vehicle myself in New Orleans during Katrina. We left Mobile on Saturday morning with the forecasters saying the storm was headed straight to Panama City Beach Florida. We parked a few blocks from the terminal in a garage on the 6th floor. Due to circumstances we could not even get into N.O. to check on the vehicle and finally found out that it and almost 300 of the vehicles in this garage were either completely destroyed by vandals or stolen.

We were never given the option to cancel our cruise. Since we had a death at home in the middle of Katrina, we arranged to fly back from our first port (before the levees broke in N.O.), but those who stayed with the ship were taken back to Galveston and had to find their own way home. I believe that Carnival did give them a shipboard credit of $100-$150 per person. You cannot get far on that amount of money. Trust me. It cost us almost $3000 to get home from Cozumel. This was the only cruise I have ever booked without insurance too.

On Aug 31 we sailed from Port Canaveral under the threat of Hanna and Gustav. We checked with our TA and Carnival and our travel insurance before going. We were told the ship would saild and if we were not on it, we would lose our money. The insurance company said the same thing. We were told that if the area where the cruise terminal were evacuated and airports closed that we could file a claim on our insurance, but that never happened. If Dutton had travel insurance, and Galveston Island was evacuated, he would probably have some recourse in recouping the cost of this cruise if he had not sailed. He does need to file a claim for the loss of the vehicle on his auto insurance though. Ours took about 3 weeks to settle, but they did settle and replace our car.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Yet another "one hit wonder" that comes on the board AFTER their cruise to vent thinking we will provide some kind of sympathy for them when if they had been on this board BEFORE their cruise we could've provided the information that would've avoided much of the OPs problems.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Admiral

The bottom line is that anyone on the Ecstasy did not have to cruise.

Their cruise insurance would have paid for their cancellation.

So any decisions to go are the personal choice of the cruiser.

Personally, since there was a mandatory evacuation on that Thursday at 2PM, Carnival should have given folks the "OPTION" to cruise or get a full refund.

However, that does not release any cruiser from the personal choice to GO....since with the mandatory evacuation their travel insurance would have kicked in.

(It does not kick in with voluntary evacuations.)

Btw. all these "rules and conditions" apply to ALL cruiselines ...not just Carnival.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Admiral

I is not Carnival's fault about anything you are complaing about. You chose to leave your bags with the porters instead of bringing them on the ship with you. Also you are the one that took the risk to take a cruise during hurricane season. It is not Carnival's fault that there is a hurricane. Also you are the one that chose to park your car in an INDEPENDENTLY owned cmpany lot. Why should they spend thousands of dollars to replace people's cars when it is not their fault that they were ruined. You also said they said it is your choice how you are to get home but they are not paying for it. you had the choice to go back with them to Texas so they wern't forcing you to leave the ship. The buttom line was when you cruise during hurricane season you take a BIG risk. Ex. cancelled cruises, cancelled ports, and everything else that happens with a hurricane. I think you should try another cruise with Carnival becuase they did they best they could do and it is not their fault any of this happened.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have to say one thing, cruisng durig hurricane season is a gamble. You have odds of 50/50 that you will have a problem. Carnival is responsible for your safety on the ship and at sea. They are not responsible for your car or lost luggage at the port.

Ike caused the Liberty to divert, but the majority of the passengers understood WHY we diverted. Many had seen the ports before, but also knew that it is NOT a good idea to sail INTO the oncoming path of a hurricane. We learned how rough the seas can be even on the outermost edges of a hurricane!!!!! The ship pitched and rolled enough to make you notice, but not many got sick...

They had a MAJOR problem with eight ships in a two weeks period being diverted. Imagine how much work it is for them to coordinate all of that!

I'll still cruise at this time of year, but I will keep my options open if a storm is brewing!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:48 PM
First Mate

Does the phrase " Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute and emergency on ours " mean anything. I believe if you choose to cruise during hurricane season you need to be prepared for any emergency that may arise, and accept the responsibility for your actions or inaction.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I honestly feel bad for all the cruisers affected by Hurricane Ike. I feel worse for all those in Texas affected by Hurricane Ike.

I watched for several days the forecasters predicting Ike moving into the Gulf. If I'd had a cruise booked I'd have been watching even closer. Even with the predictions I'd have likely made a decision to go on the cruise, and take my chances. I certainly wouldn't have parked my car near to the ocean in Galveston! And if I had, I certainly wouldn't blame the cruise line for any damages that it incurred because of my decision.

Another fact here is you don't even have to read the fine print of a cruise contract to know about the cruise lines changing itineraries, or even CArnival's Vacation Guarantee (where you can be flown home at the cruise line's expense) at the first port of call. All you have to do is READ a cruise brochure! Both those details are there.

It never ceases to amaze me how LITTLE effort people put into preparing and planning their cruise vacations. Just reading a brochure to familairize ones self, or simple google searches, seems like so little effort to invest in understanding what you're spending your hard earned money on.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Maybe a better question was Carnival (or any cruise line) doing the responsible thing in not cancelling the cruise. Of course people would complain about that too.

When you read the fine print of your cruise docs the cruise line is not responsibile for anything. I'm not sure if that position is really legally defensible as the docs are not provided prior to purchase - but that is a different matter.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Here is a simple case of not being totally prepared and knowing what could happen and how to handle it.

Every now and then, someone comes and posts that they don't need travel insurance, well, here is just another case where it was needed. Almost in every case, the cruiseline is blamed for lost luggage, etc. In this case it was a hurricane, not Carnival's fault... I do feel bad for everyone that cruised that week, but when you choose to cruise during hurricane season, sometimes this happens.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Since I was in Galveston when Gustav came ashore the week or so before....I can tell you exactly why Carnival sailed as planned...because just with Gustav...all the forecasters were saying the same thing...it is going to hit Texas.

People were complaining...why doesn't Carnival cancel this cruise.

The Conquest sailed out on Sunday....Gustav hit and Galveston never even got a drop of rain. I was there....

So if Carnival had cancelled the Conquest....it would have been for nothing!

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
First Mate

I agree that it is a big gamble to cruise during hurricane season. We did last week, as well, to Canada, but I was ready to run circles around Cape Cod if that was the cruiselines decision. We've been caught in the middle of a hurricane (Bonnie) by Bermuda and I really would rather have the cruiseline take another course, whatever that may be. Honest. The people that were stuck in Newport were mad as a hornet but they were safe and that's the bottom line.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner
Yet another "one hit wonder" that comes on the board AFTER their cruise to vent thinking we will provide some kind of sympathy for them when if they had been on this board BEFORE their cruise we could've provided the information that would've avoided much of the OPs problems.
I know, why in the world would anyone think they can get sympathy for a cruise where things went wrong on a cruise message board!!!! Imagine that, what was the OP thinking??!!!

Of course he came here to be made fun of and to be flamed.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I certainly wouldn't have parked my car near to the ocean in Galveston!

It never ceases to amaze me how LITTLE effort people put into preparing and planning their cruise vacations.
So easy to second guess what someone else should have done. I was on the Conquest and last time I saw a computer update of the hurricane, it was uncertain if it would even go into the gulf on the night of 9/6. I lost my car too and no I dont blame Carnival. But I am surprised at the attitude of those who post back to anyone daring to complain.

OP, you have my sympathy. I think its so different if you were involved or not how you feel about what happened. sorry again. My insurance company now says it could be next Thursday before they can get a adjustor in to look at my car. Its a mess. I hope you are faring better now that you are home.
Old September 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Captain

while i agree that carnival isnt at fault for a hurricane, I do feel they did somethings way wrong with this.

Of all people Carnival should have known the risk that the travelers were taking...and upheld the money back for canceling that they have told everyone they were doing. I have seen carnival in the past 2 weeks write on thier website that they would offer a refund if taken 24 hrs prior to deparkation, however they didnt post it before the 24 hour mark, making it either hard to understand or invalid as a whole.

The mandatory evacuations had been hinted too days before it went into effect, thus Carnival should have foreseen that they would indeed have this mandatory evacuation, and should have left the saftey and passage up to the guest...giving a refund, perhaps to only THOSE WITH INSURANCE. That would have been a fair thing. Those without insurance (ask me if i have it in jan, nope never got around ) are out of luck.

I do understand that when you sail at anytime of the year you could always miss ports, and could end up docking in the USA at a different port should something happen to the one you left from, heres where insurance comes in, or rather you have to budget for unforeseen circumstances.

Most of us love to sail, and if we had invest thousands of dollars on a cruise, to either sail (which ofcourse the weather was beautiful and that tends to make the matter so distant in ones mind to the ferocity that awaits) or stay home and eat the money and the excitement you've anticipated for for so long. I'm betting 90% of us would have gone and been as disappointed with the whole matter as this cruiser was.

All i'm saying is i dont agree with many of her statements, but i do understand her frustration and her being upset with the whole situation as it was handled early on.

happy sailing all
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
So easy to second guess what someone else should have done. I was on the Conquest and last time I saw a computer update of the hurricane, it was uncertain if it would even go into the gulf on the night of 9/6. I lost my car too and no I dont blame Carnival. But I am surprised at the attitude of those who post back to anyone daring to complain.
As I said, I DO feel bad for all those affected, and ALL those who lost property. Both those on the ship, and those on land.

I don't think any reasonable person is trying to flame anyone for complaining. But the OP poster wanted to blame Carnival for everything. The complaints have to be reasonable, before they can't be dealt with with reason and empahty. Otherwise all that's left is sympathy.

I've cruised several times during Hurricane season, and almost got caught having to vacation in a shelter instead. But, knowing what the risks might be to cruise during hurricane season should most certainly be part of the equation in making the decision to cruise. Many, like me, will take the risk, to take advantage of the pricing that goes with the season.

But there has to be some responsibilty to the people making the decision to book. You can't just make the decision to go, and then blame someone else when the problem occurs.

I think people are taken aback when they see people come to the cruise boards to complain, when they understand it would have been so much easier for them to find the boards earlier to research and learn what they may expect to happen.

The OP complained about not knowing they could leave the ship at the first port of call, and not knowing the itinerary could be changed. That information is easily accessed.

But, people can be weird people. Just have to look at how many people decided to stay on after the mandatory evacuations were announced, and those staying were warned of almost certain death.

I'm not sure Carnival handled the situation exactly as they should have because I haven't heard all the details. There likely was more they could have done. But we should also realize that if they'd made their decisions late, and sailed during a hurricane, and people were hurt or suffered loss of life, the resulting outcry against the cruise line would have been much worse. Their priority should justifiably always be to protect the lives of their passengers and their ships.

I don't think there's anyone here who wouldn't sincerely feel bad for those who encountered this situation. It's only when they blame everyone but themselves that they draw a negative reaction.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseypoo5
The mandatory evacuations had been hinted too days before it went into effect, thus Carnival should have foreseen that they would indeed have this mandatory evacuation, and should have left the safety and passage up to the guest...giving a refund, perhaps to only THOSE WITH INSURANCE. That would have been a fair thing. Those without insurance (ask me if i have it in Jan, nope never got around ) are out of luck.
I agree that they left too much to the last minute and really had their head in the sand since every major weather outlet was predicting landfall of Galveston two days earlier.

Your idea of singling out only those with insurance, to give or not give a refund, would not have been a good idea and would have left them wide open to lawsuits. it would have to be all passengers or nothing.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 20th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Admiral

I don't think that people really mean to be insensitive to Dutton's problem.
It is natural to be disappointed when your vacation gets screwed up for what ever reason.
But when you start blaming a cruisline for so many things that wasn't their fault then it's pretty obvious that little or no attempt was made to read up and /or get any info. regarding policies, dos or don'ts, etc. prior to the cruise.
I think that's what turns people off about these types of complaints.

First, when you sail in hurricane season, especially the very heart of the season, you really, really need to understand and be prepared that something very well may come up to cause changes to be made.

Also, if the brochure or info. on the website had been read, then it would have been plain that Carnival doesn't control the porters who work dockside handling luggage. It's plainly stated they are not employees of Carnival.
Regarding the parking lot, just how could anyone expect Carnival to be responsible for flooding caused by a hurricane , which they had no control over, and to be held liable for damages to vehicles parked there?
They don't insure your cars.

Bottom line is that we , as a society in general, have come to expect that when something goes wrong, regardless of what, we just have to hang the blame on someone somewhere, when many times we need but look in the mirror.

I have sailed many, many times in hurricane season and have missed ports a few times but always made the best of it. I know the risk and am willing to take it. I'm off on the Mariner of The Seas in two weeks.
I knew when I booked my cruise way back in the spring that I was going in hurricane season and it's possible another storm could alter the itin, sailing schedule, etc. but I assumed the risk when I plunked down my dough!

I feel for the tens of thousands of people in Texas who have lost everything they had and have had their lives changed drastically by this storm. To hear someone complain about a 4 or 5 day cruise that didn't exactly suit them pales in comparison and doesn't garner much sympathy in my mind.I live in KY. hundreds of miles from the gulf. Sunday parts of the state was ripped with hurricane and tropical storm force winds thanks to Ike.. We still have about a half million people without power.
My 77 yr. old sister lives in Ohio and had damages to her home and garage and lost everything she had in her fridge and freezer. Her electric was off from Sunday morning until Thursday evening., all thanks to Ike.

I think a cruise that had to be altered is a mighty small bump in comparison to the mountain that tens of thousands have to overcome.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

What Dutton is probably trying to say is Carnival is not responsible for your car left back at a starting port if the ship makes it to a different port like they did to them in New Orleans due to the hurricane. I guess that is where having travel insurance comes into play.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
First Mate

Before any more of us get riled up, you might want to check out Dutton's other post. It flips the story 180 degrees.

Old September 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Peg, what's the link to the other story or the title of the thread....

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old September 20th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yea, where is the "other" post....this is getting very interesting.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM
First Mate

I clicked on the posters 'name' and checked out his other posts.

Old September 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to rpostal

I have a similar but different problem with Carnival. I am a first time cruiser on the Conquest that is leaving on the 28th. Earlier this week our departure was switched to Houston ( for obvious reasons). When I spoke to Carnival I was told that your departure port is not part of your itinerary, therefore their "change in itinerary" policy cannot be used to cancel this cruise. Since we had planned to arrive the day before (coming from Kansas) we're not able to find a hotel for the night (with 3 small children that could be a problem). I know a lot of travelers arrive the day before to avoid the risk of a delayed or cancelled flight or traffic delays. Right now our intent is to stay in Dallas and drive the remaining 250 miles the morning of the cruise. Just curious does anyone else think this is wrong? Not interested in sympathy just opinions. The customer service rep told me they could switch me to Miami and I would have no recourse. Since when has the departure not been a part of your itinerary? Anyone else on this cruise have similar problems? Anyone else think its inappropriate for Carnival to be taxing the already depleted resources of Houston after such a catastrophe. Please dont get me wrong I have been looking forward to this cruise for over a year. It just seems to me that they should cancel these cruises until the necessary services can be restored to the Houston area. Wont these cruises shortchange the residents who have already suffered enough. Just my 2 cents but its hard to look forward to this cruise with how much the residents have suffered already. I think most people would be ok with postponing their vacation until theyve had a chance to recover.
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Admiral

I think your post shows that you have compassion for people and the situation that many are in right now and will be in for weeks, if not months to come.
But---if you want to see things come to a boil instantly, just let Carnival or any other line announce they are canceling cruises for a few weeks.
The hue and cry would be heard round the world, regardless of why they canceled.
Hundreds of people book their own air and transportation when cruising. If Carnival , or any line canceled for a few weeks these people would all be wanting to reimbursed for lost money on transportation, hotels, meals, etc. So, you can see the mess that would ensue.
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Default Conquest Cruise Sept 7th 08 - Cars lost/found

If you sailed on the Carnival Conquest on Sept 7th or Carnival Ecstasy
on Sept 11th and parked at the San Luis Resort, this comment is for you!
My husand and I drove to Galveston from San Antonio TX on Saturday Sept 6th and spent the night at the Hilton Galveston Island resort on Seawall Blvd prior to the cruise on Sunday Sept 7th. We parked our vehicle behind the San Luis Resort Spa 5222 Seawall Blvd (sister hotel of the Hilton). We too, were part of the group diverted to New Orleans had to fly to Dallas, TX and then drive to San Antonio to return home on Tuesday Sept 16th. Not knowing the status of our vehicle, I made many many phone calls, left comments on several blogs. I finally received a phone call from Mary Jo at the Emergency Management Center in Galveston, she did not know the status of vehicles at the San Luis Resort but gave me another number. I called the number and they did not know the answer but gave me another number of a lady that would. I left a message for Christina, the Port Authority of Galveston, Public Relations manager, she returned my call as she had just finished attending a meeting at the San Luis Resort, we were so surprised how quickly the calls were returned considering the chaos in that city. After giving a description of the car she located it in the parking lot called us back and was standing next to the car to state in her opinion it suffered no wind damage and the area appeared to not have been flooded. Many officials, Police, EMS, and FBI are housed at the San Luis Resort, she stated looting is not occurring in this area and we felt pretty positive that we may have been lucky. Our insurance company (USAA) called us on Friday and again Saturday morning, the USAA adjuster (Jay) stated the same as Christina, the car looked good but he needed a key so we jumped in our other vehicle drove down to Houston/League City area (3 hours from San Antonio) and gave the key to the adjuster. Earlier this morning the USAA adjuster called back and stated no water/wind damage was sustained and the engine purrs like a kitten. We have truly been blessed and feel that our happy ending will be one of the few endings to a very tragic event for the cruise passengers and Galveston residents. So, if you parked your car behind the San Luis Resort during the time of Hurricane Ike there is a huge chance that your vehicle was not affected. Mary Jo in the Emergency Management Contact Center mentioned that most cars behind and along the hotel were not affected, there was a police car with a broken windshield and one other vehicle with damage due to an awning that flew through the air but that is minimal. If you lost your vehicle at the Pier in Galveston I am truly sorry and wish you the best of luck in your search for a new vehicle. If you would like the phone numbers for Mary Jo or Christina please let me know and I can make arrangement to forward to your personal email address.

My husand and will be planning another cruise through Carnival as mother nature does not have favorites and we are aware that it is a risk when we choose to cruise during hurricane season. We tend to cruise in September since the summer ends, our children are grown so we don't have kids in school and our wedding anniversary occurs during the month of September.
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpostal
I have a similar but different problem with Carnival. I am a first time cruiser on the Conquest that is leaving on the 28th. Earlier this week our departure was switched to Houston ( for obvious reasons). When I spoke to Carnival I was told that your departure port is not part of your itinerary, therefore their "change in itinerary" policy cannot be used to cancel this cruise. Since we had planned to arrive the day before (coming from Kansas) we're not able to find a hotel for the night (with 3 small children that could be a problem). I know a lot of travelers arrive the day before to avoid the risk of a delayed or cancelled flight or traffic delays. Right now our intent is to stay in Dallas and drive the remaining 250 miles the morning of the cruise. Just curious does anyone else think this is wrong? Not interested in sympathy just opinions. The customer service rep told me they could switch me to Miami and I would have no recourse. Since when has the departure not been a part of your itinerary? Anyone else on this cruise have similar problems? Anyone else think its inappropriate for Carnival to be taxing the already depleted resources of Houston after such a catastrophe. Please dont get me wrong I have been looking forward to this cruise for over a year. It just seems to me that they should cancel these cruises until the necessary services can be restored to the Houston area. Wont these cruises shortchange the residents who have already suffered enough. Just my 2 cents but its hard to look forward to this cruise with how much the residents have suffered already. I think most people would be ok with postponing their vacation until theyve had a chance to recover.
This is not just Carnival's policy....it is all cruise lines. It is the nature of the beast that they have the option to change embarkation ports when necessary.

If Houston had not been able to get Bayport open, you would have had to drive to New Orleans.

I really wish TAs or PVPs would go into more detail about these kinds of issues...especially with folks that are booking during hurricane season.
First time cruisers generally just don't know things like this.

Check your travel insurance to see if "a change of embarkation ports" is a reason for cancellation for a full refund from them.

If they do and you elect to cancel...I hope you will give it a try again.
If they don't and you do go, I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Old September 21st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Admiral

I don't understand how having the cruises now going out of Houston could in any way make the situation worse for residents. Thats does not make sense to me. They may actually benefit a tiny bit from the income of parking and supplying a ship. There is a lot I don't know about this, but it has me looking like a chimp scratching her head.
Marty