Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Default A few questions

Any information would be very helpful. Only 2 more weeks until fun in the sun YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, Here are my questions:

1- Is the wine you are allowed to bring on board for in room use or only in the dinning rooms? and if ok in room, are you chareged anything extra?
2- Which is better- taxi or cruise transportation from airport to ship?
3-For ID, bring birth certificate and passport?
4- how much cash should be put on the room card at the start of the cruise? probably drink 5-7 cocktails daily while on vacation.
5- on day at port of call, are spa treatments 1/2 priced?
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A few questions

Any information would be very helpful. Only 2 more weeks until fun in the sun YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, Here are my questions:

1- Is the wine you are allowed to bring on board for in room use or only in the dinning rooms? and if ok in room, are you chareged anything extra?
You can bring one bottle per person on board. They say there is a corkage fee but I've never been charged it. You can take it to the dining room with you if you like or you can drink it in your cabin.
I prefer taxi myself.
You only need your passport.
4- how much cash should be put on the room card at the start of the cruise? probably drink 5-7 cocktails daily while on vacation.
you can put your credit card on the sail and sign card and then pay it before you leave. Everything gets charged to it. excursions, photos etc.. You can also just leave it on your CC and pay it when the bill comes.
You need to check on the capers to see what the specials are. [/b]

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

you will be charged a corkage fee

I like a taxi or private shuttle, I don't care for cruise line bus transfers.

Passport is enough

People will usually give a credit card, and a bill will be given at the end of the cruise, but it can be paid with cash at the end...

Not sure if it is half off, but significant discounts are given on port days, to entice ....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Carnival has set the minimum CASH deposit amounts required to be deposited on your account at the Purser's desk as soon as you board:

2 to 4 day cruises - $100
5 to 8 day cruises - $200
9 days or longer - $350

You cannot charge anything on the ship with your Sail & Sign card until you have posted the required amount. Once you have reached your limit (say $200) you cannot use your Sail & Sign card until you re-deposit more monies into your account. Don't forget, your gratuities are automatically charged to your account, therefore, if you are on a 7 day cruise, the amount charged would be $70...if you deposited $200 cash, that leaves you $130 for other expenses.
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Admiral

One note:
When we first got on board we checked out the spa because we wanted to do the spa tour.
When we got there we entered a raffle drawing...
My sister won a $70 facial (which she gave to me) but then later during the cruise we both got seperate phone calls saying they did another drawing and we won $40 off of a $120 spa treatment. (coninsadence, I think not)
Now I suspect they called anyone who entered the original raffle but I can't confirm that.
So the moral to this story is enter as many raffles as you can. One of our table mates won twice winning two peices of jewelry.

Hey, you never know... by the way, I didn't notice the treatments having special discounts while we were in port.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old September 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
you will be charged a corkage fee A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club.

I like a taxi or private shuttle, I don't care for cruise line bus transfers.

Passport is enough

People will usually give a credit card, and a bill will be given at the end of the cruise, but it can be paid with cash at the end...

Not sure if it is half off, but significant discounts are given on port days, to entice ....

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Yeoman

Aslo worth mentioning is if you use a credit or debit card they automatically put a hold on the deposit amount. So say you use a card that has a 500 dollar limit and they put a hold on it for 200 dollars and you spend say 250 dollars on some shore excursions or whatever. Well since you went over your 200 dollar limit they then hold another 200. Which leaves you only 100 usable dollars. You go to port and think you have 250 to spend but truly you only have 100. It can take a week or longer for this hold to come off. Just a heads up to save some embarresment. You can go to the pursers desk as soon as you board and tell them to only do holds in the amount of $50 after the original 200 is gone.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: A few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENEE ABSHERE

1- Is the wine you are allowed to bring on board for in room use or only in the dinning rooms? and if OK in room, are you charged anything extra?
If you drink it in your room you will not be charged a corkage fee, if you drink it in the dining room you will be charged a $12 corkage fee.

Taxi: The cost is per car and not per person and you don't need to wait for everyone else to fill the bus. It is almost always less expensive than a cruise line transfer.

PASSPORT: It's all you need and the best ID you can have.

You need a minimum of $200 to start an onboard cash account but your gratuities will come out of that ($70 per person) so with your 5 -7 cocktails a day (if that's per person) plus incidentals I would have at least $600 in the account for two people.

They run specials on different spa treatments but I'm not sure if they always have these specials.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Captain

Check Capers they usually have inserts the night before port days with spa specials. but they are still high. Although if you can afford it they are woderfu. I love a good swedish massage. I always leave with a big relaxed smile.
7- Sapphire Princess
6-Golden Princess
5-Carnival Paradise
4-Royal Caribbean-Monarch of the Seas
3-Carnival Glory
2-Carnival Spirit-Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
1-Carnival Inspiration - Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

On the cruise I went on I did not leave a CC. I know better. I use cash. I was a 4 night cruise and gave them $500 to start. I ended up getting about $250 back as I dont drink that much (ecept for the one night I got kicked out of the club - it was the formal night and I took my shoes off and would not put them back on- so they made me leave- hey you wear 6" heels on a dance floor for hours). I did make use of the spa and thats pretty much were my money went.

On my upcomming cruise I will do the same. Probably start with $500 and add to it if necessary. I can always withdraw cash at the ATM if I need more. I bank with USAA and they refund all my ATM fee's world wide!