Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do you think that the hard economic times we are facing will

Do you think that the hard economic times we are facing will bring more customers to Carnival because of their cheaper pricing? Will the economic downturn hurt the Cruise industry as a whole and will it cause you to cruise less?

Just thought that these questions would make for interesting conversations.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Do you think that the hard economic times we are facing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
Do you think that the hard economic times we are facing will bring more customers to Carnival because of their cheaper pricing? Will the economic downturn hurt the Cruise industry as a whole and will it cause you to cruise less?

Just thought that these questions would make for interesting conversations.
Only time will tell....but if it does...that will just mean we can cruise more often!!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 28th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Do you think that the hard economic times we are facing will bring more customers to Carnival because of their cheaper pricing?
I think the premise here is faulty. It does seem to be what some folks tend to believe. In many many cases I've found other lines offering similar or lower prices than Carnival. Some of the "premium" cruise lines, or those who like to see themselves as "premium" may keep prices higher, but there are many other's who's pricing runs right along side Carnivals.

If price were the only determining value people would rush to Easy Cruise.

Value of what you get for your $ is what keeps bringing back "Carnivores".

I'm a big fan of the Carnival product, and I think it's an unfair statement to say people choose Carnival because it's cheap.

As to what the economic state does to the industry... I think naturally people will cruise less for awhile.... and that trend may force some Premium brands to compete at mass market price points.
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Admiral

The premise is not faulty. Carnival has built their reputation as being the "fun ships" and offering cheap prices. Our neighbor went on a Carnival cruise and said that the food was like eating at Denny's.

Move the clock forward and Carnival now owns just about every cruise line. They can structure the price and the brand for all those cruise lines.

I have never been on a Carnival ship and I doubt that I ever will.

As far as the OP question is concerned; yes, I think folks will be cruising less for the near term. On Carnival? I think they will stick to whatever cruise line that they like the most.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The premise is not faulty. Carnival has built their reputation as being the "fun ships" and offering cheap prices. Our neighbor went on a Carnival cruise and said that the food was like eating at Denny's.
Carnival indeed did built their reputation on "fun ships", but you and others added " the cheap prices" tag line.

I know from years of hunting and shopping for cruises for our CruiseMates Group Cruise program that I've often found less expensive cruises on other lines.

AS for "the neighbors" evaluation of Carnival food being like Denny's. After probably 15 or more of my 50 + cruises I find Carnival's food to be as good as any of the mass market lines, and better than some.

Admittedly food is an area reliant on individual tastes, but I do believe after 30 years in the food and beverage industry I at least have the credentianls to at least tell the difference in quality between Dennys, A &W, Cheescake Factory,Ruth Chris or La Maison.
Old September 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Admiral

You are twisting my words to fit your premise.

When Carnival first started that was their reputation .. Fun Ships at a cheap price.

Wonder why all the college kids took a Carnival cruise at spring break? CHEAP PRICES.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Shark

When Carnival first started that was their reputation .. Fun Ships at a cheap price.

Wonder why all the college kids took a Carnival cruise at spring break? CHEAP PRICES.
Irish.. I didn't twist your's or anyone's words. I simply disagreed with them.

As for the "spring break crowds"... they went to Carnival for the same reason they went to Ft. Lauderdale.... for the party, not necessarily for the price. Oddly I think college kids on spring break often have more disposable dollars than many middle class working people seem to.

Carnival certainly DID bring cruising to the mass market. In fact they really brought the phrase "cruising" into existance used in terms of a vacation, rather than a mode of ocean going transportation.

They did originate the mode of vacation as affordable to almost all, rather than the wealthy. Along the way the industry has shuffled through numerous changes, and along that way Carnival Corporation has purchased many other cruise lines that were getting to the point they were no longer financially viable. They expanded their business by saving many lines that might not exist today because they were being run inefficiently.

Carnival as a corporation, has succeeded in branding the various lines they own, seperating by price point, the Mass Market, Premium, and Luxury cruise markets.

My point is they price their various brands against competitors vying for market share, but they are certainly never always the cheapest. Even today, there are budget brand cruise lines who you'll find are selling their cabins for less on a fairly consistent basis.
Old September 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The Canadian economy is not bad off, now the American economy is not good, but it could get worse. The cruise lines will have to market the product more to get the people to get on the ship. Carival does a good job of marketing their product. RCI does it by building bigger but not really knowing if they will be able to fill the ship, so they gamble with their future. Carnival builds their ships a size that works, and is successful, so they can provide a cruise vacation for a fair value. They can offer a cruise for a good price and I must admit with Kuki, the food on Carnival is very good and the only "food" I complained about was the eggplant that came with dinner one night--a vegetable I've never tried and doubt I will ever try again...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Carnival does have some cheapo rates that is for sure. 7 niters on Valor and Liberty for $399. and $449.
Many cabins available so I guess they need to fill the ships.

If only Carnival had the amenities Royal does I would switch cruiselines and save some money.

I'm thinking of booking the Carnival Freedom 6 niter for the spring the rates are dirt cheap. However not to replace my Royal cruises for 2009 but as an additional cruise.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Admiral

IMHO ...the downturn in the economy, coupled with the explosion of berths across the cruise industry, will lead to great bargins across the board for folks that have the incremental funds at their disposal

I happen to like the food on Carnival (or any other cruise line for that matter)..everyone is trying to figure out how to capture the younger market (college kids), because they become your future base as they get jobs, families etc)...I had to work on spring break to pay tuition when I was a college student, so in a way i am somewhat envious of today's college crowd

I think the synergy that Carnival Corporation uses to attract the first time cruiser (on Carnival) and then move them "up" to more premium lines is just good business strategy

I agree with Kuki on this one ..no one is "forced" to cruise Carnival..most do it by choice..the college "spring break" folks will cruise any line that markets towards them
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:

There were more college kids on Norwegian than Carnival when we went this past March on CCL Victory, The Norwegian Gem was parked next to us and had way more wild college kids getting on it than we did on ours.
Carnival tends to be better priced than say Royal. But I have seen NCL with some cheap rates too.
Cant knock Carnival till you try it.

As for the Economy? I will continue to cruise as long as I am working but I think the Economy is part is the Governmet scaring us and when the election happens it will be a way for the new President to "pull us out" and be a hero. Propoganda

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:

Irish.. I didn't twist your's or anyone's words. I simply disagreed with them.

As for the "spring break crowds"... they went to Carnival for the same reason they went to Ft. Lauderdale.... for the party, not necessarily for the price. Oddly I think college kids on spring break often have more disposable dollars than many middle class working people seem to.

Carnival certainly DID bring cruising to the mass market. In fact they really brought the phrase "cruising" into existance used in terms of a vacation, rather than a mode of ocean going transportation.

They did originate the mode of vacation as affordable to almost all, rather than the wealthy. Along the way the industry has shuffled through numerous changes, and along that way Carnival Corporation has purchased many other cruise lines that were getting to the point they were no longer financially viable. They expanded their business by saving many lines that might not exist today because they were being run inefficiently.

Carnival as a corporation, has succeeded in branding the various lines they own, seperating by price point, the Mass Market, Premium, and Luxury cruise markets.

My point is they price their various brands against competitors vying for market share, but they are certainly never always the cheapest. Even today, there are budget brand cruise lines who you'll find are selling their cabins for less on a fairly consistent basis.
Isn't it interesting that the "experts" about Carnival are always the folks that have never stepped foot on a Carnival ship.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Admiral

I don't mean to try to turn this thread into more politics than it is but
Michelle has a point. In my little corner of the world ( and probably nationwide ) there's been a commercial running advertising some bank credit card.
The commercial has this wuss type guy watching a t.v that goes on the blink--his wife gives the wuss permission to go buy a new one--then it shows him in the showroom with this music / song playing---" I want it all---I want it now "---boy what an appropriate time for a commercial like that !
It always runs downhill and the working stiff gets it again.
I was raised ( thankfully ) to know the difference between what you want and what you need--when needs are met, then you can look forward to buying something you deserve and want--not before. Unfortunately millions of others don't know the difference.
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Move the clock forward and Carnival now owns just about every cruise line. They can structure the price and the brand for all those cruise lines.

As far as the OP question is concerned; yes, I think folks will be cruising less for the near term. On Carnival? I think they will stick to whatever cruise line that they like the most.
Carnival's food does not taste like eating at a Denny's, it is very good. I read on someone's post that they went on an NCL cruise and the food was nasty they prefered Carnival's food better. A lot of people say they like Carnival's food the best.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 29th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Carnival does have some cheapo rates that is for sure. 7 niters on Valor and Liberty for $399. and $449.

If only Carnival had the amenities Royal does I would switch cruiselines and save some money.

I'm thinking of booking the Carnival Freedom 6 niter for the spring the rates are dirt cheap. However not to replace my Royal cruises for 2009 but as an additional cruise.
399 and 449 where did you find that price. I have never saw a 7 day carnival cruise that cheap. Not even really close to the sailing date. I have seen a 7 day NCL cruise for 399 but thats it. What does royal carribean have that carnival doesn't have. Carnival doesn't have a rock climbling wall or a flow rider but it had comparable things.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old September 29th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Admiral

At various times I've seen all the cruise lines offering 7 day cruises in the $399 -$ 499 range for inside cabins. Fairly recently I saw a repositioning cruise, believe it was Jewel of the Seas from the NE, 10 days, balcony cabin $699.

The lowest I can recall seeing was just a two weeks ago, on the NCL Jewel cruise we're actually doing as a CruiseMates Group Cruise. The offer only lasted a weekend, before they upped the price, but it's a 12 day cruise, and they were offering inside cabins for $399.

Even the increased price is $599, and that's for a 12 day cruise! Still A BARGAIN! The airfare is probably more than the cruise.

Discounting sailings that don't sell well is nothing new at all.... for ALL the lines.
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Admiral

Michelle, you make some excellent points! Bob
Old September 29th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Michelle...you like Chris Rock ? you go girl 8) 8) 8)
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:

399 and 449 where did you find that price. I have never saw a 7 day carnival cruise that cheap. Not even really close to the sailing date. I have seen a 7 day NCL cruise for 399 but thats it. What does royal carribean have that carnival doesn't have. Carnival doesn't have a rock climbling wall or a flow rider but it had comparable things.
I have seen that price floating around Sept. thru Dec. and I saw it again on a Jan./Feb. sailing. THe Carnival Freedom is only $439. for the spring.

What Carnival doesn't have? Rock wall, Flowrider, Skating, Promenade, Boleros and soccer games between guests and crew and for the kids just to name a few things.

I thought the food was good on Carnival.

If anyone happens to come across a Royal 7 niter out of FL for $399. please pm me the details and I'll book it right away.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWench
Quote:

There were more college kids on Norwegian than Carnival when we went this past March on CCL Victory, The Norwegian Gem was parked next to us and had way more wild college kids getting on it than we did on ours.
**Sigh** please read what I said.

That was then; you are talking about now.

Old September 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Isn't it interesting that the "experts" about Carnival are always the folks that have never stepped foot on a Carnival ship.
Never said that I was an "expert". Just stating facts.

Old September 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:

Carnival's food does not taste like eating at a Denny's, it is very good. I read on someone's post that they went on an NCL cruise and the food was nasty they prefered Carnival's food better. A lot of people say they like Carnival's food the best.
Tell it to my neighbor and not me. I did not say sqaut about Carnival's food.

Old September 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
If anyone happens to come across a Royal 7 niter out of FL for $399. please pm me the details and I'll book it right away

Well.... here you go Bon Voyage

10/18 - 7 days out of Ft. Lauderdale on Enchantment - $199

also 15 DAYS - Barcelona to Galveston on Voyager of the Seas -$429

also Radiance of the Seas - 11/09/08 - 14 nights for $499

As I said earlier... all of the cruise lines discount
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

Those are the lowest categories. Right?

Old September 29th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Kuki,

Those are the lowest categories. Right?
Yup.. hard to get a balcony cabin for $199 but if the turmoil continues, you never know.

Those prices also don't include gov't tax and fees, or fuel surcharges.
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
If anyone happens to come across a Royal 7 niter out of FL for $399. please pm me the details and I'll book it right away

Well.... here you go Bon Voyage

10/18 - 7 days out of Ft. Lauderdale on Enchantment - $199

also 15 DAYS - Barcelona to Galveston on Voyager of the Seas -$429

also Radiance of the Seas - 11/09/08 - 14 nights for $499

As I said earlier... all of the cruise lines discount
Boy I wish I could cruise for 14 days but I can't only 1 week at a time.
Radiance is coming up $599. for me still cheap.
Enchantment is a 4 or 5 nighter. The $199. is for 4 nites but the 5 niter is a little more on certain weeks. I'm actually looking to book the 5 niter funny that you mentioned it.

Now if I can find one of those cheapo rates on a Freedom class ship for April spring break that would be wonderful.
I'm not holding my breath.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Admiral

10/18/08 Enchantment Of The Seas 7 nights Western Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale R/T $199 -- Balc, $649

That's the ad I received. If they made a mistake on the number of nights I dont know.
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Admiral

After what happened today to the stock market, people are going to be really scared about spending any money. You might see some really good bargains soon. I have allready seen this with airfares. Bob
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Quote:

When I booked the Carnival Glory, The price I paid was $359 for the 7 night cruise. Add on the PC and tax and add my rt air from Boston. At the time I lived in NH. Total for that cruise was $714. Carnival often offers prices that good. This hapopened to be a CM group cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
10/18/08 Enchantment Of The Seas 7 nights Western Caribbean
Fort Lauderdale R/T $199 -- Balc, $649

That's the ad I received. If they made a mistake on the number of nights I dont know.
Oct 18th is a 5 nighter and inside guarantee are $229 with port charges. There sre some agencies that like to advertise with out PC's still. Still a great rate.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10