Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival passenger dies whils cave tubing

It was reported that a Carnival passenger died while cave tubing in Belize. See link below.
http://www.wftv.com/news/17577889/detail.html

Our thoughts go out to the family.

Scoutdad
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

So sad indeed. After reading the article, it sure does seem that, the people in charge, should have realized just how rough the waters were that day, and, canceled the excursion

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 29th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Admiral

It was a Carnival excursion and they don't use the link method, as many Independent Tour operators do.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Admiral

What is the link method? And, FYI, all cruise lines subcontract tours to local, independent tour operators.
Marty
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
What is the link method? And, FYI, all cruise lines subcontract tours to local, independent tour operators.
Marty

Linking means that ALL FLOATERS are physically joined in a train that is led by a guide.

While it is true that all cruise lines subcontract with local operators, the operator that Carnival uses elects NOT to link all the passengers, because it requires them to have more guides then they want to have to use.

With Carnival tours, you are just "on your own" for the most part. That has been one of the main complaints about Carnival cave tubing excursions for years.

If you use an independent like Yhony (cave-tubing.com) or Major Tom, you will all be physically linked to a guide. Both of these link ALL their folks together, so there is no danger of "floating off on your own".

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old September 29th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Captain

Carnival will want to keep this story quiet or that tour will stop selling.. I dont know the details but it cant be good press...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Carnival will want to keep this story quiet or that tour will stop selling.. I dont know the details but it cant be good press...
Carnival actually flew in some counselors and made them available for free for anyone who was affected by this. Carnival staff stayed in Belize with the husband to help handle the needed arrangements.

They did indeed take this seriously.

What I don't understand is that since Carnival's operators don't "link"...Carnival is usually the FIRST ONE that cancels their tours at the first sign of high water.

Over the years, I can't count the number of people I have emailed and chatted with that had a cave tubing trip planned with Carnival...Carnival cancelled it for high water...so they went with an independent (who does LINK) last minute at the dock and had a great time.

And Carnival only does ONE cave....where the independents that link do TWO caves. Hubby and oldest son were just there in May. They tubed with Yhony. It was the dry season...so they had just the opposite problem...the guides had to literally PULL them through the caves.

Our heart certainly goes out to this lady's family.

Old September 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

That is true, when we went cavetubing 2 weeks ago, CCL had canceled their tour because Belize had quite a bit of rain and the river was high. But we went with cavetubing.com.(Yhonny) I do like the linking, we saw quite a few folks just drifting alone. The current was strong when we crossed and had to hang on to a rope and that was hard enough to hang on.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well,
We did that excusion while on the Paradise about 4 years ago....I don't remember any link method, other then we were supposed to slip our feet under another person's tube, and were supposed to be linked that way in small group of who ever knew each other, more or less. I don't remember it being especially dangerous, we just pretty much floated down the river thru the caves.
It surprises me that someone died.
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Captain

does anybody have the basic details of what happened or do I need to go to a site somewhere and look for it?
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old September 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

My heart goes out to this family. This never should have happened.

Old September 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Beginner

Default How sad!

My heart goes out to Linda's family. How very tragic. My family greatly enjoyed our cave tubing trip in July. While the river was swift, our guide was quite firm in directing us as to how to maneuver the tube – paddling backwards and kicking off the sides of the cave with our feet only. We also had life jackets and all of us felt safe.

We were shown HOW to link if we wanted to. One couple wanted to hold hands and not link properly. Our guide forbid them to do this saying that they could flip over in that horizontal connection. He then showed them how to link so that one was behind the other.

The water must have been quite treacherous the day of the drowning. The people of Belize impressed us as being very kind and friendly. I hope this death will serve as a strong warning about weather conditions.
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

OMG thats so horrible. I went on that tour and we had a fantastic time. What an unfortunate incident and I feel for the husband and family. My prayers go out to them.
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Admiral

My prayers go out to the family. Unfortunately, if you look at the excursions offered by any cruise line, they are all excursions that are "thrills" and on which anything can go wrong.

When you choose a bus tour the bus could go off a cliff if it's going up a high mountain and it's recently rained - think mudslide. Going on a party boat, bad weather can come up quickly or a collision with another boat, stupid drunks falling overboard.

When you choose to go into a cave, where anything can happen, or scuba, where again anything can happen - shark - stingray barb in the heart - underwater rock slide - poisonous eels or fish - these are also inherently risky.

Yes, anything we do is risky, and course just getting into our cars to go to work or the store is the most risky thing we do every day, but these excursions are mostly risky things to do where anything can go wrong.

Everyone wants to enjoy their vacation.l For some, that means lying oin a lounge chair on the ship. For others, it's these "exciting" (*risky) excursions. People just need to realize that just because they are on vacation, and just because these are the escursions the cruiselines and other companies offer to take you on, doesn' tmean they are risk free.

These excursions are offered becuase people want them. supply and demand. We need to wake up and realize these are risky experiences that families should not be going on. Just those who know and accept the risk. If the people are not being sufficiently warned in advance of all the possible things that MIGHT happen, then the cruiselines and excursion companies are at fault. Again, it all comes back to buyer beware.

Whether you're checking the weather and road conditions in winter before leaving home, or thinking of goingon an exciting scuba adventure in Belize, the consumer has toi do the research and not assume that because people do something, that it's without risk.

A parent doesn't keep an eye on their kid in the front yard and the kid is kidnapped by a pedophile. Whose fault is it - the criminal for doing what is compelled to do or the parent for not being compelled to properly supervise their kid? My vote is the parent. We are always quick to blame others before ourselves.
Old September 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Captain

For the most part I agree with you but when you say its not the pedophiles fault for taking a kid then you are dead wrong. Yes the parent should be watching his or her child. But you make it sound like the kidnapper has no blame since hes compelled to do it. I had a 4 year old nephew who was kidnapped and molested by a pedophile so I have first hand experience. Im sorry if I sound harsh and maybe that wasnt the entire point you were trying to make but you should be careful what you say and how you say it. Im sick of criminals getting leniency since they have uncontrollable compulsions supposedly.

Sorry all for getting off topic but this really hit home and it hurt...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Admiral

My DH has done Belize tubing several times. He once had to "rescue" a fellow passenger whose tube went the wrong direction.
Any time you participate in boat/float activities, the current has a profound affect. Canoeing, kayak, or inner tube, the whole point is moving on top of the water. So, if the water is too high...don't go, whether the cruise line, or anyone else, says it is okay ot not.

And, briguy, sorry to hear about your nephew. That is horrible and you certainly have a right to feeling angry about how we as a society have chosen to view this.
Marty, who has 3 nephews she adores