Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Travel Insurance Claim

I thought I'd let everyone know how we made out having to make a travel insurance claim. This was a first for us, and I thought anyone new to cruising might like to know.

We paid for friends of ours to cruise with us for our 25th wedding anniversary. A week before we were due to leave his wife developed a blood clot and an infection from having had knee surgery. The doc said NO WAY for her to go anywhere as she was being put on coumadin (spelling?) and needed to have blood work 4 times a week. I called our TA and said "what do we do now?" Where we stood on the timeframe was a 50% refund of total fare from Carnival and the rest would be a claim to the travel insurance. She called the insurance company and Carnival (this took place Sept 5, cruise was Sept 14). The insurance company mailed forms to our friends that had to be filled out by them and her doctors. The check from the insurance company was received in the mail by our friends this past weekend. I'm still waiting for Carnival's money. According to my TA their office just received the check over the weekend and their bank won't clear it until Wednesday.

I have to say the insurance company was pretty fast about the turnaround. The only thing is that they sent the money to our friends instead of us (we paid for their cabin). Not a problem for us because the checks were signed over to us but that could be an interesting problem for others. Carnival sure is taking their time, especially when we paid for this trip in full in April. Talk about making money on interest. I'm surprised too that Carnival's check was made out to our travel agency and not us but that must be a company policy. This leaves you laying a lot of trust in your agent in a messy economy right now.

All in all very happy with outcome and this definitely goes to show the importance of having insurance. If not we would have lost around $900. Thats a lot of money in my eyes.

So just a head's up on its importance and the fact that they do cover.
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Thanks for the report.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 7th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I'm glad to hear the good ending. I think because your claim was cut and dry, that the refund came so quickly, and, that's good news, for others in similar situations.

I do know peolple who, it has taken forever to see the check, but this was due to multiple complications, hospitals in foreign countries, the plane to take her back home, meds etc....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

If you booked your cruise with a Travel Agency, the check will always go to them first. They in turn either sign the check over or give you another one. It depends on the agency & their policies.

Even though the cruise is in your name, you pay the travel agency who in turn pay the cruiseline. So hence, check goes to them.

If you booked directly with the cruise line either over the phone or on the website, there's no middleman, so the payment would have been sent to you.

Hope this helps!

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:04 PM
First Mate

Well I must ask, What insurance company did you use ????
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Admiral

That's great. That's why it pays to get the travel protection. I have some friends who purchased a cruise and did not get the insurance. Now I know they wished they would have. Their incident didn't turn out as well as yours.
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I want to say the name of the insurance company is either Berkley or Barclays. They are actually in Long Island, New York. Our TA is a rather large corporate one ( I don't think I can post name here) and they have used them and happily report no difficulties.

But here's a new heads up --- I just put a deposit down for the 4 of us again, Carnival Miracle again with same TA. This same insurance company had just sent them a letter saying that anyone with pre-existing condition HAS to pay for their insurance with their deposit. Last time we paid it at final payment. So we had to drop $600 per cabin plus $89 per person.

Here's another interesting FYI for anyone unaware of this as I was: We were looking at next September cruises during a weekend. Unfortunately for the New York port area, no one is doing a Caribbean September cruise that returns to New York except for Carnival. So we looked at prices on their website and made a phone call to them. We were given another discount on our cabin by them and they told me I could switch the booking to my TA with no problem. I had to book that day to get the discount which represented $400 off on our cabin so I booked it. Called my TA on Monday and sure enough, Carnival stood by their word. My TA I have had for years and she has always done right by us, so I wanted to include her in order for her to get a commission. I just never knew you could book with Carnival and then have your own TA take it over.
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
First Mate

We take insurance and only used it once. It was pretty cut and dry, bought it thru the cruisline, got every penny back and found it easy peasy.
It would have been thousands of dollars lost for us.