Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Default Anyone done a caribbean cruise out of New York?

With airfares going higher and higher, being able to drive to the port of departure is becoming more and more important, especially since we are a family of 5.

It looks like both Carnival and RCCI offer a good variety of cruises out of NY during the summer. I am especially interested in the 8-Day Eastern, so I am wondering if anyone has done this cruise in the past?

Also, this cruise's port stops are San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. I don't know a lot about these locations, but we are a family who loves to try new things and I'm sure we'd enjoy them. That being said, it wouldn't be a total cruise "experience" for us unless we were able to spend at least part of a day at the beach. Do any of these ports offer this opportunity?

Thanks everyone...
DCL Wonder - 4-day Bahamas Oct 08 - family
RC Voyager - Canada 2004 - w/dh
RC Nordic Prince - Alaska 1993 - w/parents
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Passenger

nice beaches in all three islands. we did carnival on the legend-that is when they used to go to tortolla--that was a great beach spot. This cruise is a lot of sailing. we loved it.
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean0151
nice beaches in all three islands. we did carnival on the legend-that is when they used to go to tortolla--that was a great beach spot. This cruise is a lot of sailing. we loved it.
Thanks... yeah, there are a bunch of "at sea" days on that cruise, which I like. We just did the 3-night DCL Bahamas cruise, so obviously we did not get to spend nearly as much time on the ship as we would have liked, since there were two port days.

Our children will be 11, 8, and 4 next summer -- this cruise seems like it would be a good fit for our family as far as duration, ports, and cruise line.
Old October 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to DJ Cruiser

I have cruised to the Caribbean many times (4 to be exact!)

3 out of the 4 times we cruised out of New Jersey (bayonne-- RCCL). To be honest, i was probably the most sea sick on the entire ship. For the second night of the cruise, possibly second day if your on a shorter itinerary, i had mild to moderate nausea and a little fatigue. It didn't stop me from doing anything though.

Now, as a teenage (15, with a 20 year old sister) i must say caribbean cruises were always my favorite. Bermuda was much more relaxing, and i fear a Canada/Alaska cruise as i hate the cold. And I'd MUCH rather get tan on a cruise Moving on, Royal Caribbean has always had great itneraries for both the Eastern and Western Caribbean. My favorite ports of call are Grand Cayman (Western) as well as Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Western). For Eastern Caribbean, St. Thomas as well as Barbados have always been my favorite. No matter where you go Eastern or Western you will always find something enjoyable to do. Consider looking at excursions on RCCL and Carnival's websites to see what they have to offer, again there is much more to do than what is offered by the cruise lines, you have to have the time to sift through vast amounts of information to find what your looking for.

Also, im new here, but my mom is a very frequent poster on another website (not sure if i can link) called Cruise Critic. Her user name is "CruiseDivaNJ" and she can answer any and all questions on what to do in the caribbean as well as any questions on RCCL ships themselves. She is a wealth of knowledge and as her son i can say she NEVER stops talking about cruising.
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've cruised several times to the Caribbean from New York, though not on Miracle.

St Thomas is a great stop for beaches, with lots of choices of beautiful beaches close by. Grand Turk, there's a beach to hang at right next to where you're docked.

San Juan.. I recommend visiting Old San Juan. You can have a very nice day just strolling, having lunch, etc. The beaches there are quite a distance from the port. Old San Juan is very close.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:19 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

We, too, did this run on the Legend 3 years ago, going to Tortola instead of Grand turk. We did sail on the Miracle and Pride out of NY at other times, when they were doing different runs.

On the Legend, we knew it would be MOSTLY cruise with all the sea days, and only half days at two of the three stops.

The one full day in St. Thomas was good, even though we had been there MANY times before. We took an island tour with Godfrey, and did the downtown thing, with some beach time.

Although it was still a good cruise, I found it the most boring. Perhaps it was because we had an aft wrap and hated leaving that balcony.

We love sailing out of NY as well. We've done it about 9 times now. Just too bad there aren't more options, but that's changing over the years as well.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Miracle in July for 8 days out of New York. Besides saving the money on airfare it was so easy to just drive there and park. We live
about 2 hrs and 45 minutes away from NY.
It was a great trip if you like sea days, which we do. The ports were not so hot. Not alot to do or see without some traveling from the ship. But that was ok with us. The sailing out of NY harbors was also very great. Seeing the Sratue of Liberty and Ellis Island where one of the highlights of the trip.
All in all a great time
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Did princess out of NY - made tose stops plus Bermuda. Really liked it. Grand Turk is a beach day. Nothing really there. We did the beach in Bermuda too.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Admiral

I have not done a NY cruise, but everyone says they love going in and out of NY. They say it is so cool.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone... this sounds like a cruise that would be great for our family.

Unfortunately, prices have gone WAY up since I last checked, so now we may not be able to do it. I guess I should have booked it when I first saw it. Lesson learned!!

I may still put a deposit down, we'll see...
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Love, be patient. With this economy, prices are sure to come down. Bob
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Love, be patient. With this economy, prices are sure to come down. Bob
I hope you're right! That is why I am still tempted to put down the deposit. The price was about $2500 higher, though, so I just don't know if it can come down even close to that much.

Of course, now the hubby is thinking we should just plan on cruising summer 2010 instead, and plan something more modest for 2009 (ie, a non-criuse vacation). I'm going to have to keep working on him...
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

To be honet, I could have done a cruise out of FL cheaper even with the airfare.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old October 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiesbooks
To be honet, I could have done a cruise out of FL cheaper even with the airfare.
Yeah, I know there is quite a premium on the NY cruises because of the distance & fuel... but we can't get around the fact that airfare for FIVE is pricey no matter what. That being said, you make a good point -- it's probably worth having my TA check on that as an alternative. There are certainly a ton of cruises to choose from if we are willing to fly to FL.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were just looking at cruises in Florida with having to fly out of NYC area in order to get a non-stop flight. It was tacking on $400 each to the cruise price, not counting need a transfer from airport to pier. It was working out a heck of a lot cheaper to take a cruise from New York.

We just got off the Miracle Sept 22 and we booked her again for next Sept 21 It came down to dollars and cents.

We did grand turk with princess last year. Would NOT recommend beach next to pier as our traveling companions went there and said it was so bad trying to walk in the water because it was full of rocks, very little sand. With the hurricane beating them up badly I could only assume they'll be in the same predicament for a while unless the cruiselines put some sand in the water there. Megan's bay beach we heard from folks on board was great (that's in St. Thomas).

I would suggest asking a few TA's if anyone is doing a group booking. That should lower your pricing significantly. Plus with a group booking they'll usually book a bus which will lower the costs of parking at the Piers ( I think it's $30 a day now). If we travel alone we have a relative take us there but if there are 4 or more of us we book a limo and split the cost. With a family the limo cost is still all totally yours.

Lots of folks don't like to be out at sea for two and a half days either, so take that into consideration as well.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Cruising out of New York

Can be cheaper if you are driving in or able to take a train.
Parking is expensive.

It is a great place to spend an extra day if you have never been to Manhattan.
That, however, will take any savings you realized and make it a non issue. It can be expensive to stay in downtown. Like $300-400 a night in Manhattan (thank heavens for Marriott Reward points).
Add a show (we saw the Jersey Boys - good show) and a meal or two - it adds up quick.

If you can take a train you will come right into Penn Station and it would be about $10.00 to get to the pier by taxi.
When flying in to NYC you will still have a $50.00 cab ride over to the ship. Shuttle are a bit cheaper.

You usually end up with more ship time going out of NYC and you are heading into the Atlantic. I have been out of NYC 3 times and have had substantial seas each time. Less in the summer. Once it was a roller coaster ride for two days down and two days back ( November). I took a lot of Ginger and they worked.

Depending on the time of year you also lose warm weather too. From Florida you have mostly all warm weather -from NY (Oct-April) you can plan on having the sail-away BBQ with a coat on. (Nov-Mar) you might even get to have a sail-away snow storm!

Would I do it again, YES!
I would go between April and October though!

Best Regards
Westerdam2001 - Noordam2007
Princess:
Dawn2006
Celebrity:
Century 2002
NCL:
Majesty2003 - Dawn2005 - Spirit2006

CRUISES SCHEDULED: Valor 11/9/2008
Galaxy 3/2/2009 Farewell
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

If you can hold off on your cruise out of Port Liberty, wait for Dream but book now; there are some very good deals. It's a nine-day itinerary. I can't wait to have the money to book this cruise.