Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Passenger

Default key west info

hello everyone...just want to ask a question. family is going on cruise to key west and cozmel nov. 17 want to ask are there any shops or things to do in walking distance of the pier? any one been on the Imagnation ? if so how is it....ty for your help.....
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Admiral

It depends where you dock. When we went to Key West we docked on the Navy base - but Carnival provided trolleys to downtown. Plenty to do there.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

You typically dock at at the Navy base and there are trolleys there to get you into the area where you can walk around downtown. Very family friendly during the day. Lots to walk around and see but do expect to get in a lot of walking miles. So make sure the kiddies have good comfy tennis shoes on. Be sure to visit the southern most point to get your pictures taken! Hop on over to the lighthouse, too. We didn't pay to go in to do the tour to walk up in it but still got some great shots of it!

I was on her sister ship Fascination in August and it was nice!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Lots of child friendly things to do in Key West. If you dock at the Navy yard, there is a complimentary shuttle to downtown, if you dock at Mallory, you're already downtown. You can take either the Conch Tour Train or Old Town Trolley on Front Street for a nice tour of Key West. Within walking distance of Front and Duval Street: Harry S. Truman White House, Hemingway's House, Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum, Pirate Soul Museum, Shipwreck Museum (climb the stairs to get a birds eye view of Key West), Key West Aquarium (with a touch tank and lots of nurse sharks), lots of restaurants, ice cream shops, and the usual tacky souvenir stores and world famous bars (Sloppy Joes, Tony's, Hogs Breath Saloon). You can snorkel, take a glass bottom boat tour, hit the beach, try some Key lime pie from the Blond Giraffe (yum).

You'll enjoy the Imagination, we have sailed on her three times and loved every cruise. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the Conquest class ships but the service, food and entertainment were great.
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Passenger

ty u all so much for all the info....I am now as of today oct 17 doing my doc dance.....We are redy to sail....THis is a birthday gift and annversary gift of 23 years...again ty all of u.....
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
Passenger

My wife and I just returned off the Majesty of the Seas (RCI) which docked very close to Mallory Sqare. Remember if you go outside the US and then return to Key West you will have to go through imigration before leaving the ship. We booked the Conch Tour Train tour via their website prior to the cruise. The ship's excursion didn't start till 11:00 but because we were able to breeze through imigration we were able to take the 9:30 tour. The tour lasts about 90 min. and gives you a comprehensive view of Key West and was well worth the $26. p/p price. We then walked down Whitehead Street to the Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum (again we were able to get discounted tickets from the Conch Tour Train) and continued on to the Southern most point. On our return we walked down Duval Street past Sloppy Joe's and had a piece of Key Lime pie by the Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum.

As people stated, "wear comfortable walking shoes" because you will be doing lot's of it and by the end of the day we were exhausted.

My wife can now scratch off "visit Key West" from her list of thing to do before you die but undoubtable we will go back again.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

anything you could want is within walking distance. If you want to shop, have a drink, have some ice cream, see the southernmost point and even beach it and have lunch, I suggest renting one of the six-seat electric cars (don't know the cost) or renting bikes to do this. It's definitely walkable distance. It's in the opposite direction that the majority of the cruisers will be headed aka east. I'm going again May 14th and will be shopping a little more this time. The kite shop is on the way too as is a great key lime pie place. The kite shop is more than just kites by the way. Say hi to Mike the guy who makes the hats out of palms. A little scary but really nice and my mother loved her hat!