Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How many of you sneak alcohol on board and how do you do it?

How many of you sneak alcohol on board and how do you do it?

I know I do and it depends on the cruise line I sail on.

I know NCL is actually very strict and will call you down if they think there is booze in your suitcase, so, on NCL I transfer my Vodka and all clear liquor into water bottles and for dark liquor, I look for colored water bottles, usually that blue one to put that in.

For Carnival and Royal Caribbean, I have found that as long as it is in the suitcase that you give to the porter, I can bring in anything.

I usually bring with me 2 bottles of Champaign, 2 bottles of wine, 1 litre of Vodka and 1 quart of coffee Liquor.

I've never had a problem leaving it out in my room either.

If I run out, while in port, I'll bye some liquor and put it in my water bottle. I've found it is best to just put the water bottle in your pocket as they sometimes will check the bottle, so, if it's in your pocket, you can go through the metal detector without any problem!

Any of you have any other ways?
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Reminds me of the girl and guy who cruised out of one of the California ports.

She wasn't feeling well, and took her meds with a bottle of water her boyfriend had. It wasn't water.

It killed her, and the last I heard, he went to jail, where he belongs.

I have been lucky to have had enough money to buy a drink.

I would hate to have to worry about getting caught with something that was clearly illegal. FYI One of the reasons that the drinks are so high is because so many take illegal booze on board, and the cruise line must make up the difference.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Sometimes we may take a bottle of wine--no " sneaking " --just up front with it and haven't been stopped yet. It's usually the ones who are trying to " sneak " a few gallons aboard that get caught.
Some things just aren't ( to me ) worth the hassle --- buy water-buy mouth wash, etc.--empty the bottles--refill the bottles, load an extra suitcase--go through all that to save a few dollars isn't my cup of tea.
I'm with Luanne--If I want something to drink, I'll buy it.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I'd be to scared to get caught! I'd love to take a bottle of grand mar to put on top of my marguaritas, but with my luck would get caught and someone else would be drinking my 40.00 bottle!!
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Dave the Wave will have a good answer to this but he is at game one of the world series tonight. Bob
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
Passenger

Default alcohol on ship

i bubble wrap my alcohol really good. i take alcohol because it is very expensive to buy drinks. i don't think that many people sneak booze on board. i plan on taking a big 20oz cup with a lid, that way i won't have to go back to my room as often. i work 2 jobs and i don't want to spend a lot of money on booze. in fact i am going on 2 cruises and i plan on doing it on both cruises.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Sometimes we may take a bottle of wine--no " sneaking " --just up front with it and haven't been stopped yet. It's usually the ones who are trying to " sneak " a few gallons aboard that get caught.
Some things just aren't ( to me ) worth the hassle --- buy water-buy mouth wash, etc.--empty the bottles--refill the bottles, load an extra suitcase--go through all that to save a few dollars isn't my cup of tea.
I'm with Luanne--If I want something to drink, I'll buy it.
Carnival allows each person over 21 years of age to bring on board a bottle of wine. So you weren't doing anything against you cruise terms and conditions. NCL and Royal Carribean do not have this policy.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I'd be to scared to get caught! I'd love to take a bottle of grand mar to put on top of my marguaritas, but with my luck would get caught and someone else would be drinking my 40.00 bottle!!
If you call Canrival's Bon Voyage department pre cruise they may have Grand Mar on the list of bottles you can pre order and have delievered to your room. You can only pre order by calling they don't have this information on the website. It's easier to do this then to try and fly to the port with a bottle of booze and then go through the trouble to sneak it on.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default ....yeah, in jail with big foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo

She wasn't feeling well, and took her meds with a bottle of water her boyfriend had. It wasn't water.

I would hate to have to worry about getting caught with something that was clearly illegal. FYI One of the reasons that the drinks are so high is because so many take illegal booze on board, and the cruise line must make up the difference.
I doubt that one would pass the Snopes test. Took a drink to wash down some meds and DIED??? Please, was she washing down cyanide???. And there's nothing ILLEGAL about sneaking booze on board. Simply against a rule put in place to maximize cruise lines profit margin. That does NOT make it illegal. Surely there must be something more important for you to be self-riteous about than booze smuggling. :evil:
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Admiral

I think the key word here is sneak.

If you read the rules, and abide by them, you should have a great cruise.

If the word sneak is involved, you are cheating the company.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: ....yeah, in jail with big foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdude
Quote:

I doubt that one would pass the Snopes test. Took a drink to wash down some meds and DIED??? Please, was she washing down cyanide???. And there's nothing ILLEGAL about sneaking booze on board. Simply against a rule put in place to maximize cruise lines profit margin. That does NOT make it illegal. Surely there must be something more important for you to be self-riteous about than booze smuggling. :evil:
Google it. It is there. In fact we had a big discussion about it here on the boards. In case you have never heard of it, taking meds with booze can be lethal.

Bottom line is that if you take what is not allowed, and it is taken from you, then that is something you have to deal with.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Admiral

I'm aware that Carnival's policy is a little more lenient than some other lines.
My last cruise was Oct. 4th thru 12 on RCCL's Mariner-- We took a box of Franzia White Zifandel straight thru--no one blinked an eye. We wern't sneaking anything--just went aboard-It was in a bag all by itself--wifee just set it on the security conveyor with the other things--no one wrestled us to the floor and tried to take it.
I have never sneaked anything aboard Celebrity, Princess, Holland America RCCL, or Carnival.
As stated, I think if you're trying to get a load of stuff on board, then you may have to resort to " sneaky " tactics. I figure if I'm going aboard with a small amount and they do take it, then I haven't lost much.
But, on the other hand, I don't cruise to stay drunk all week. I could do that at home !!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Perhaps if Cruiselines wouldn't 'bend' their own rules about dress in the dining room, Pax wouldn't 'bend' the rules on bringing liquor on board.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Google it. It is there. In fact we had a big discussion about it here on the boards. In case you have never heard of it, taking meds with booze can be lethal.

Bottom line is that if you take what is not allowed, and it is taken from you, then that is something you have to deal with.
Yeah, cuz it must be true if it's on the INTERNET. Let's grant your story truthfulness. If this young lady actually drank enough of what we're assuming she thought was water to OD before realizing it wasn't water then it's a clear case of natural selection intervening IMHO.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Captain

Carnival claims it doesnt allow alcohol to be brought on board to keep underagers from drinking. That is a side benefit and we know it. Its all about revenue. Alcohol is the leading onboard sales item by a huge margin. No way will they ever admit that though. I pack a bottle everytime, play it cool, dont make a jerk out of myself and all is well..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Admiral

The only alcohol I take on board is a couple of ounces in case I have a coughing attack in the middle of the night. Seriously! Alcohol is a powerful cough suppressant and sometimes cough med's don't work. But, since I usually end up bringing it home or leaving it for the cabin steward, I really don't feel guilty about it. It really is for medicinal purposes. I probably wouldn't bother if there was a mini-bar, like NCL has in the cabin. Sadly, alcohol does not make me relaxed and happy. But, that makes me a cheap date, even after 20 years with my DH.
Marty
Old October 24th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default Rum runners

Rum runners are the best way to bring booze on board. They are not detected by the scanner. www.rumrunnerflasks.com use code "repeat" for a discount.

(ooops...edited to correct link)

Past cruises
07/2008 Carnival Valor
06/2004 RCI Mariner of the Seas
06/2002 RCI Adventure of the Seas
10/2000 RCI Majesty of the Seas
03/1999 Carnival Ecstasy
03/1998 Disney Wonder
09/1997 RCI Empress of the Seas
11/1996 Carnival Ecstasy
01/1995 RCI Empress of the Seas
01/1993 American Hawaii Independence
05/1990 HAL Westerdamn
06/1988 Costa Riviera
10/1987 Commodore
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Rum runners

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm on holiday
Rum runners are the best way to bring booze on board. They are not detected by the scanner. www.rumrunners.com use code "repeat" for a discount.
Your link isn't working for me.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Rum runners are the best way to bring booze on board. They are not detected by the scanner. www.rumrunners.com use code "repeat" for a discount.
try:

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:09 PM
First Mate

Personally, I have no respect for individuals who resort to sneaking contraband on board, regardless of their intentions. This issue goes to the matter of integity.

The fact of the matter is that, by booking a cruise, you agree to abide by the rules that the contract sets forth. If that contract includes not bringing alcohol on board, then your action is breaking your agreement and I would have no difficulty with the cruise line confiscating your contraband or, even, refusing you passage.

When we sailed the Smokefree Paradise, it seemed every cruise that some fool would try to sneak smoking materials on board or even smoke in their room. Their actions were a clear violation of the agreement that they signed and Carnival would appropriately disembark them for their actions.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

[quote="MTSFP"]Personally, I have no respect for individuals who resort to sneaking contraband on board, regardless of their intentions. This issue goes to the matter of integity.

The fact of the matter is that, by booking a cruise, you agree to abide by the rules that the contract sets forth. If that contract includes not bringing alcohol on board, then your action is breaking your agreement and I would have no difficulty with the cruise line confiscating your contraband or, even, refusing you passage.

When we sailed the Smokefree Paradise, it seemed every cruise that some fool would try to sneak smoking materials on board or even smoke in their room. Their actions were a clear violation of the agreement that they signed and Carnival would appropriately disembark them for their actions.[/quote

Wow, aren't we noble! However, Carnival allows you 1 bottle per person.

Does this mean you never speed either? Do you always go the speed limit????
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Luanne, I well remember it since it was all over the news at the time.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old October 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsularoad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP
Personally, I have no respect for individuals who resort to sneaking contraband on board, regardless of their intentions. This issue goes to the matter of integity.

When we sailed the Smokefree Paradise, it seemed every cruise that some fool would try to sneak smoking materials on board or even smoke in their room. Their actions were a clear violation of the agreement that they signed and Carnival would appropriately disembark them for their actions.

Nobility has nothing to do with it. It has to do with integrity. Yes, Carnival does allow one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per person during embarkation. However, those individuals who are replying to this issue are not trying to bring one bottle of wine on board - rather, they are trying to bring on multiple bottles of vodka, whiskey, etc.

The simple matter is that their actions affect the prices that I pay for my vacation. Carnival is a business - they generate their revenues by providing passage on board (your fare), gambling (your choice to participate), alcoholic beverages (again, your choice to imbibe) and the tours/shops.

As for the question of speeding - yes, I drive faster than the posted speed limit, mostly for pure survival reasons. However, if I get pulled over by a trooper for traveling faster than the posted limit, I don't whine about my fate - I accept the punishment meted out.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

MTSPF - give it up - you sound like your one that 'always does the right thing' 'is better then the average person' and has to stay 'one above the rest'. I don't think ANY harm was meant by asking the posters question and I do think that the amount of people that 'sneak' booze on board is far less than the 3000 passengers that get on the ship! I honestly don't think the little amount they sneak on is hurting your bottom line! I won't even go into that one. I myself am guilty of sneaking booze on board. Out of all the cruises I have been on, I think I have done this twice - and I would say about a flask - not even a 750ml bottle! If you think thats hurting your bottom line - perhaps you should go on a land based trip as it might be more economical for you. Now, let me go bubble wrap my grand mar and pack it up!
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:

Ashley Barnett's boyfriend hid methadone inside of cold medicine capsules... apparently she was completely unaware of this. While on the cruise she started to feel like she had a cold and found the cold medicine, injested a couple of capsules and died.
Old October 26th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

I dont think I will sneak any alcohol on board. I am too afraid of getting caught. I did sneak Cuban Cigars back home the last time I went to the Bahama's and my knee's were shaking thinking that they had Cuban Cigar sniffing dogs at the pier. So this time I will play it safe and not do anything to get me kicked off my cruise.

Besides I dont drink that much when I am alone so I should be fine with paying for my drinks.

Old October 27th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Quote:
Quote:
try:

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/
Those are pretty cool even if you just use them for shampoo and conditioner they would save room in your luggage. Nice tip.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Nobility has nothing to do with it. It has to do with integrity. Yes, Carnival does allow one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per person during embarkation.
Just to be clear it's one bottle of wine or Champane per person over 21 on Carnival. Carnival does not limit the bottle size to 750 ML (princess does).
This is direct from Carnival's site under ticket contract:
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T..._contract.aspx

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeigh99
Quote:
Quote:

Ashley Barnett's boyfriend hid methadone inside of cold medicine capsules... apparently she was completely unaware of this. While on the cruise she started to feel like she had a cold and found the cold medicine, injested a couple of capsules and died.
I'll buy that. Luannes point was that this was a direct result of surreptitious booze in a water bottle, so shame on booze smugglers. That's my point, and thank you. This is a portion of a written account: " According to reports, he hid the drugs in a bottle of cold tablets in order to sneak them onboard. In Ashley’s home video, Geoff is seen on camera when he clears port security. "We’re getting ready to load the boat. And we got past the dogs," he said into the camera. Clearly he was smuggling the drugs onboard. Geoff refused to say how he came to have the drugs, but said that Ashley knew the drugs were in the cold tablet bottle. She had seen him place them in the bottle.

Family members report that Ashley had cold symptoms, and may have accidently consumed the smuggled drugs onboard when she took some cold tablets. Geoff says that is not likely.

The family investigators took samples of Ashley's hair and confirmed no other drugs were in her system, with only the recenlty consumed drugs either self-adminstered, given in a spiked beverage or in some other manner unknown, found in her system.

This report on the toxicology confirms reports from friends that Ashley was anti-drugs, and didn't used drugs prior to this incident."

No mention of smuggled hootch being the culprit in ANYTHING I've been able to find. Maybe Luanne will grace us with her source?? Doubt it.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Nobility has nothing to do with it. It has to do with integrity. Yes, Carnival does allow one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per person during embarkation.
Just to be clear it's one bottle of wine or Champane per person over 21 on Carnival. Carnival does not limit the bottle size to 750 ML (princess does).
This is direct from Carnival's site under ticket contract:
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T..._contract.aspx

(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

If you read Carnivals website closely it does infact mention bottles no bigger than 750ml can be brought aboard one per person. I though brought a magnum of champagne last year and all they said was "wow thats a big one" and let me on.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas