Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Beginner

Default Tipping for children under 2

Hello, this will be my first cruise.

Do they add the daily tip of $10 / pp / per day on your account for children under 2 years old?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, they add the whole amount. Once you are cruising thought, you will see the crew do as much for the kids as they do for adults, so yea, they do earn those tips. I've always tipped the regular amount for kids.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Captain

If your younger than 2 you are generally an infant and may not even be walking so how much can the staff do for that aged child? My guess is not much. I dont think Camp Carnival will even accept a kid younger than 2. If they do charge the tips then I would adust them as needed...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
If your younger than 2 you are generally an infant and may not even be walking so how much can the staff do for that aged child? My guess is not much. I dont think Camp Carnival will even accept a kid younger than 2. If they do charge the tips then I would adust them as needed...
When is the last time you emptied a trash can full of poo diapers?

Not to mention the cracker crumbling...the crib that will be set up (and in some cases of really small cabins ..set up and taken down every day)....

(and that is just the cabin steward)

There will be a high chair in the dining room that must be cleaned after the little one's use...either in the formal dining room or on Lido.

Just to name a few....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
If you don't use the Camp Carnival staff there would be no need to tip them, but you will be using staff everywhere else so they deserve their tips.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the info / suggestions.

My child is still an infant - 1 year - and I was asking because I did read that some cruiselines Dont charge for under 2, so I was wondering what Carnivals policy is.

Camp Carnival will not take them under 2, and he is not eating solid foods, just Milk. So I did think the $10 per day was a bit much, since I already paid $239 for him for the 6 day cruise and he can't eat any of the food

But thanks for the suggestions, and I will see how it goes.
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Captain

You mentioned your child only drinks milk at one year of age? I would think he would be eating some solids... just wondering...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Beginner

Hi, a little...very few solids, just some stage 1 babyfood and some yogurt.
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

I just read the tipping policy on Carnival website and there was no mention of under 2's being exempt from tipping.

The tips (for anyone applicable in your cabin) will be automatically added to your Sail and Sign card

The price you paid for the cruise for this infant has nothing to do with tipping the hardworking individuals who will be serving you and your family.

In this case, the Cabin Steward will more than earn his money "removing" the waste every day...

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Captain

This topic always seems to stir up some controvery and despite the negatives that I will undoubtedly get I'll add my two cents. We travelled with our children when they were young and when they were infants on Carnival we felt that we paid sufficiently just for the fare. We always left the full amount of the tips on for the cabin steward, in many cases even adjusted it upward a bit. We set up our own baby sleeping arrangements and took it down ourselves. Our baby at that time was eating all baby food and nursing so yes we did adjust the tips. Once they started to toddle or eat in the dining room or attend camp Carnival we tipped the full amount because the staff did have the opportunity to give service that was above and beyond and which we appreciated and we do tip. My husband and I think the cabin steward is the one who suffers most with an infant on board and we tip accordingly.
These are just my two cents.
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi 2little,
I couldn't agree more,the cruise price has nothing to do with the tipping. The crew goes out of their way making kids have a good time. There are towels, sheets, garbage, etc. in the cabin that they have to deal with, no matter what age, so like you, I always tipped the full amount for kids, they are almost more work for the crew. Even in the dining room, you may want milk or something from the menu, they still have to serve them as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Camp Carnival will accommodate infants from 10pm to 3am for their hourly rate. You can also hire babysitters too for after hours. Two year olds need to be pottytrained to participate in CC programs.

As for tipping, I was totally impressed with the CC staff and gave a tip envelope at the end of our voyage addressed to Camp Carnival for them to split but you may want to give separate envelopes. Next to our stewards, they were the best.

Remember, you can remove the daily gratuities if you so desire so that you can give cash tips or you can increase the amount of the gratuities charged if you so desire. If you remove the gratuities, make sure that you give a comment card stating that you were so impressed with your stewards and wait staff, you wanted to tip them yourselves!!

Old November 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Captain

I used to wait tables when I was younger and we hated to see someone come in with babies. It was work to grab a high chair which you then had to completely wipe down each and every time.

Of course they just wanted free crackers or some such which mostly wound up on the floor, so folks dont tip for their babies, because they mostly tip according the the bill and nothing on the bill for baby, but we had to then usually get the vacuum or the broom and dustpan if we had folks sitting near by and couldnt make noise with the vacuum.

Im always amazed when folks say since their child didnt eat regular food they dont think they should tip for them to the waiter/waitress, when they are triple the work to clean up afterwards.
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
I used to wait tables when I was younger and we hated to see someone come in with babies. It was work to grab a high chair which you then had to completely wipe down each and every time.

Of course they just wanted free crackers or some such which mostly wound up on the floor, so folks dont tip for their babies, because they mostly tip according the the bill and nothing on the bill for baby, but we had to then usually get the vacuum or the broom and dustpan if we had folks sitting near by and couldnt make noise with the vacuum.

Im always amazed when folks say since their child didnt eat regular food they dont think they should tip for them to the waiter/waitress, when they are triple the work to clean up afterwards.
Then you should include a seating charge or a minimal food and beverage charge to help adjust your tips. We all have parts of our jobs that we dont deem as fair. Looks like babies were yours...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old November 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Beginner

There seems to be some confusion on this topic.

Carnivals Policy is that they DO NOT add the $10 per day gratuity for any guests under 2 years old. They told me that is never their policy.

Of course if you use services such as CC you can tip extra, etc,but my question was just asking if it is "automatically" put on the room charges, and the answer to that is "No they do not"

Thanks for all the imput.