Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat
Default Carnival Destiny review

Cruisemates ate my last Destiny review so I'm going to post it here as well, because I am NOT writing it over!

MIAMI Oct.29, 2008
I’ll start by saying we went to bed way too late and had to be up way to early to be at the airport by 5 a.m. But we left Knoxville Airport at 6:30ish, found Starbucks in Atlanta, airlifted on to Miami, and checked into our hotel without any problems at all.

The RiverPark Hotel downtown is decent but really old. Musty odor, black marks all over the walls, lots of red and copper in the halls. For the $109 we paid for it, I highly recommend it. Service was nice and they even called a shuttle for us to the port.

EMBARKATION and THE FIRST NIGHT Oct. 30, 2008
Embarkation was smooth even with about a 30 minute wait. A surprising sight greeted me through the terminal window-the paint on the side of the Destiny was badly peeling. I know it wasn’t peeling in March…

Did the usual after climbing on board. Lunch, exploring,room settling, muster drill, and sail away party. The sail away part consisted of five songs and that was about it….

Then it was on to get ready for our first dinner and the Welcome Aboard show. Loved our CD, Jorge. He’s now my favorite! Also saw a comedian that was all sorts of hilarious.

Made our way to the disco then to the karaoke lounge, where we found out we were on board with lots of transvestites/transgender people~interesting to say the least. The piano bar featured Damian, who was ok. Met some guys in the piano bar that we ended up spending most of the trip with and ended up staying out til about 5 a.m.ish.

KEY WEST and HALLOWEEN Oct. 31, 2008
We were only in Key West from 7a-2p and we didn’t even make it off the boat until 10:30ish. But we walked around and hit the Southernmost Point and Margaritaville, and browsed some shops and art galleries on Duval Street. I LOVE Key West. I’m ready to move there!

After having way too expensive margaritas in Margaritaville, we walked back to the ship just in time. Ran into a guy dressed as a pirate for the festival going on there, that sadly we were going to miss, and chatted with him a bit. I am definitely going back to Key West….

Carnival for whatever reason decided that Formal Night and Halloween had to be done in the same night. So we dressed to the nine’s for the Captain’s Party and Dinner, as did our boys we met, then we went to change for Halloween. Since we missed the parade because we were getting ready, we missed the costume contest. But I bet we could have won! Our boys and 7 of their travel mates were dressed as the USA 1972 Gold Medalist Drinking Team. Lots of interesting costumes all over the ship, and Halloween was in full swing!

COZUMEL Nov. 1, 2008
We docked late in Mexico because the night before we had to turn back to Key West and someone had to be airlifted off the boat. So instead of 1 we docked at 4 and left at 12a instead of 10p. We took a taxi to Chakanaab but they were closed, so we went to Paradise Beach where I got to go parasailing!

From there we taxied to downtown and walked our way to Carlos and Charlie’s. First time I’ve ever been there, and it was INSANE. Our waiter was way too friendly, but all in all we had an absolute BLAST in there. Made it back to the ship shortly before midnight and sailed away.

DAY AT SEA Nov. 2, 2008
It was rainy….yuck. So we ran around and did various activities onboard. We went to the Kiddie Karaoke, looked at our pics, shopped on board, went to tea time (first time I’ve done this and I loved it), looked at the artwork on board, and hung out on deck once it quit raining watching football until time to get ready for dinner.

At dinner it hit me how fast a 4 day cruise goes by. Unreal. We said goodbye to our waiters, went to the show ’Formidable’ (which I always enjoy) then on to the disco to meet up with our boys.

DEBARKATION Nov. 3, 2008
After more than 24 hours of no sleep and a lot of rum later, it was time to debark. I got off the boat super late because I didn’t realize what time it was…but luckily at least 20 other people were there too. Easy all the way; breezed right off. Caught a taxi to our hotel, The Beacon, in South Beach.

MIAMI THAT NIGHT Nov. 3, 2008.
Loved The Beacon. HIGHLY recommend and should I ever stay in Miami again that is the only place I will stay. They offer complimentary Seattle’s Best coffee and hot chocolate til noon, complimentary breakfast at Johnny Rocket’s, free luggage storage, and the staff is awesomely nice and helpful. Give them a shot if you are ever there (and search around on the internet-cheap tickets and hotel website price was $165...found it on bookings.com for $116). The hotel is old but has a fabulous retro feel and even though our room wasn’t very big we loved it. After breakfast we took naps then walked all over South Beach that night and turned in about midnight.

FLYING HOME Nov. 4, 2008.
We woke up early and spent about an hour on the beach then got ready to check out. Walked all over other parts of South Beach and then taxied to the airport. Taxi’s got all my money… No problems at all going home. Made it home with all digits and bits intact.

FOOD/SERVICE
The food and service onboard was exceptional, as always. NO complaints about anyone or anything, minus them having Formal night on Halloween. We loved our dining room waiters, they cracked us up every night. Bar service was good as usual.

SHOWS/ENTERTAINMENT
The comedian was hilarious. Welcome Aboard and Formidable were done very well. Cruise director’s staff could have been better but not really anything worth complaining about. As mentioned, Damian the piano guy was ok. The Karaoke host was hilarious and even sang a song herself!

OVERALL
The Carnival Destiny is not the prettiest FunShip in the fleet, but I have come to be convinced she is the most fun!

Except for the SeaSide Theatre, which is awesome, I was disappointed in the way she looks. She’s an older ship, but that doesn’t excuse some of the things I saw. Lights are burnt out all over, construction going on in the Lido elevator area, elevators shut down for said construction, peeling paint on the side. Having just come out of dry dock she really should be in better shape. But I love her anyway

(I would join Teresa in May ’09 had I not sailed the Destiny twice already and am looking forward to cruising another ship).

Had a blast! Any questions? PM me
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Admiral

It sounds like you had a great time. That sound like it is happening a lot with all ships. They are ccoming out of drydock not finished. Well you should try a Spirit class ship next time. They are great and well layed out. Our try a Conquest class ship. Well when are you cruising again??

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Admiral

CutieCat
Thanks for the review. Headed for Destiny in about 2 weeks.
Glad to hear you had a great time. 8)
HAL Statendam, MSC Divina
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog
CutieCat

Have a great cruise!!!

Past Cruises:
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
CutieCat
yes, have a great cruise! i had the time of my life both times on board, i'm sure you will have a blast!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
Quote:
CutieCat
yes, have a great cruise! i had the time of my life both times on board, i'm sure you will have a blast!
So even though the destiny is old you still like her?

Past Cruises:
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:
Quote:
CutieCat
yes, i do. i love that ship. the Valor is still my favorite but i have had two absolutely phenomenal trips aboard the Destiny despite the work she needs. she's got a great layout even if the decor isn't that impressive, and i've always had great service (minus the room steward and a bartender in March) on board. the people i've met on her contributed greatly i'm sure, but i'd recommend her to anyone
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:
Quote:
CutieCat
yes, i do. i love that ship. the Valor is still my favorite but i have had two absolutely phenomenal trips aboard the Destiny despite the work she needs. she's got a great layout even if the decor isn't that impressive, and i've always had great service (minus the room steward and a bartender in March) on board. the people i've met on her contributed greatly i'm sure, but i'd recommend her to anyone
What was wrong with the room steward and bartender???

Past Cruises:
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Admiral

In March our room steward was mediocre at best. We had to ask repeatedly for our Carnival towels, I was charged 4 times for a can of soda I did not drink (I was refunded, but the fact it happened 4 out of 7 days irritated me...not to mention the cans of soda went missing from our room after we left and then reappeared after I complained on those same days), and our room was cleaned to a minimum standard. Not what I was use to at all having sailed Carnival 4 times before that.

My friends purchased a soda card and went to the lobby bar to get soda. They were asked what they wanted, promptly ignored while said bartender took and served at least five people while I was gone to the room to change. A guy friend of ours walked straight up, handed him his card, and got what he wanted in less than a minute. He even asked for him to serve my friends. Bartender still cont. to ignore my friends and actually said at one point "I'm busy just a few minutes." We watched him wait on and serve to at least 5 more other people. We finally said "screw it" and left...and he had nerve to be mad.

Other than that I had no real complaints about the Destiny.

This time I had no real complaints at all. Everything was fabulous (except I didn't like Halloween and Formal night being the same night).
Old November 13th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
In March our room steward was mediocre at best. We had to ask repeatedly for our Carnival towels, I was charged 4 times for a can of soda I did not drink (I was refunded, but the fact it happened 4 out of 7 days irritated me...not to mention the cans of soda went missing from our room after we left and then reappeared after I complained on those same days), and our room was cleaned to a minimum standard. Not what I was use to at all having sailed Carnival 4 times before that.

My friends purchased a soda card and went to the lobby bar to get soda. They were asked what they wanted, promptly ignored while said bartender took and served at least five people while I was gone to the room to change. A guy friend of ours walked straight up, handed him his card, and got what he wanted in less than a minute. He even asked for him to serve my friends. Bartender still cont. to ignore my friends and actually said at one point "I'm busy just a few minutes." We watched him wait on and serve to at least 5 more other people. We finally said "screw it" and left...and he had nerve to be mad.

Other than that I had no real complaints about the Destiny.

This time I had no real complaints at all. Everything was fabulous (except I didn't like Halloween and Formal night being the same night).
Thats not good

Past Cruises:
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Yeoman

Sounds like you had a blast. Now it's time to work on a new ticker!!!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin