Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM
First Mate

Default Carnival "ASSIGNED" Rooms?

Has anyone ever booked a cruise with he "Carnival ASSIGNED Room" option?

The reason I asked is that I was looking at booking the Legend for next October and the regular room rate (your choice) is $709, while the assigned room option is $629 a savings of 90 bucks.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Yes My wife and i did that last year on the Fantasy out of New Orleans. We were very happy with our room. We ended up with a room on the Empress deck very close to the middle of the ship very close to the elevators. We have a cruise booked in Feb. 2009 on the Liberty and we did the same thing. They have not assigned our rooms yet on the liberty.
Mike
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Granduer of the seas 2005

Old November 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Admiral

I'm booked for next October on the Legend, cat 8-A carnival assigned . If you book an assigned cabin, don't book any lower than would be acceptable to you. In other words don't book cat 5-A, expecting to get upgraded to 8-A. I booked a balcony guarantee (what they are now calling carnival assigned) last year on the Glory and we got a great cabin. I booked the Legend over a year in advance this time, so I am hoping I can get at least one cat upgrade, they only have 26 cat 8-A cabins.

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Admiral

I do it all the time! On our last cruise (Legend) I got a 6 cat upgrade. GREAT room and I paid for a 1-A. On our next cruise, (Miracle) we got a 5 cat upgrade. It doesn't always work out, however. The last two times I've booked TBA on Glory, I got cabins that were noisy! Once in the very bow of the ship, and on Main Deck, where we heard the waves pounding the hull all night when we were at sea, and the second cruise we got the last cabin on the Riviera Deck, where we heard a "rumble" all night long when at sea. Carnival did make good on that cabin, as I ask them if they had another cabin they could move us to. We were "full ship" so they posted a $380 on board credit to my account. (I'd take that cabin every time for that kind of a reward for putting up with the noise) Overall, I'd say you're safe to book TBA, as long as you understand that you may well get exactly what you're paying for.

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm not quite sure I understand the questions. Sounds like you are booking a guarantee catagory and not a specific cabin number, right? You can always save a few dollars by booking a catagory rather than a specific room. You just have to be ready to accept the assignment when it comes through. Sometimes it could be an upgrade, most time not, just the catagory that you paid for.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Admiral

You pay a flat rate for the kind of room you want. Say you want a balcony room, so you pay the assigned fee for the balcony room and carnival has control to put you on any deck in any balcony stateroom

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Ok, its what I thought, a good way to save a few dollars, but you don't get to choose the exact cabin, just the catagory. I've booked like that a few times and always got what I paid for, no upgrade, but thats fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Default Guarantee

I always book like that, and have not been disapointed yet....most of the time I am upgraded, and even once a while back from a inside to an ocean view. I do not ever risk an upper5 and lower though....couldnt live lith that 8)
Carnival Conquest 2007
Carnival Victory 2006,
Holiday 2004
Sovereign of the Seas (2),
Norwegian Sky 2008
Carnival Glory (11/29/2008),
Ruby Princess (10/25/2009)

Old November 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Guarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob39
I always book like that, and have not been disapointed yet....most of the time I am upgraded, and even once a while back from a inside to an ocean view. I do not ever risk an upper5 and lower though....couldnt live lith that 8)
Also the upper and lower rooms are a smaller size.

Past Cruises:
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Be carefull, when Carnival changed the categories, they changed the IS to include 1As. If you want to be sure not to get one you now have to book a 4A guarantee or higher.
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Quote:
Be carefull, when Carnival changed the categories, they changed the IS to include 1As. If you want to be sure not to get one you now have to book a 4A guarantee or higher.
True, however some ships don'e even have cat 1-A, so you're O.K. to book the lowest cat they have on the ship. (usually 4-A) I've been upgraded to O.V. from 1-A or 4-A several times, and even to a balcony once. Last cruise we got upgraded from 4-A to 5-A (O.V., but actually obstructed view with twin French Doors that opened to allow fresh air) That was a GREAT cabin, and especially for the price.

Ken
"SKY"
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
First Mate

It sounds like opting for CCL to select your cabin at a much lower rate might be ok afterall.

I'm hoping that my new CCL Mastercard that I signed up for on the Inspiration last week comes in the mail tomorrow so I can book my cruise while there are still cabins left!

Old November 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Passenger

You also need to check for a repeat passenger rate and a residency rate. Sometimes a residentcy rate is cheaper than a repeat customer rate.

To do tgis, once you oull up your cruises, on the left side of the web page, you will see where you can redo it. Redo it and hit the part that searches forspecial discounts. Click the box that reads previous passenger, older than 55 if applicable and the state you reside in.
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku
It sounds like opting for CCL to select your cabin at a much lower rate might be ok afterall.

I'm hoping that my new CCL Mastercard that I signed up for on the Inspiration last week comes in the mail tomorrow so I can book my cruise while there are still cabins left!
Suggestion on the CCL Mastercard? Burn it before you even try to use it. The card is a rip off and earning a room is not what you are thinking it will be. There are other threads about this but I hate my card and wont even use it anymore.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:

Suggestion on the CCL Mastercard? Burn it before you even try to use it. The card is a rip off and earning a room is not what you are thinking it will be. There are other threads about this but I hate my card and wont even use it anymore.
Why do you hate it so much???

Past Cruises:
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

On every cruise I have been on except my alaska cruises, I have booked a carnival gty room and have NEVER been disappointed yet. Well worth the savings in my opinion.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Bri is correct, actually of the the cruise lines credit cards are not up to what they seem to be. Bob
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:
Quote:

Basically you travel when they have availability, they pick the room, you pay full rate for the second person, upgrades are on your nickel and some other things I cant recall. You can actually do better buying your way on the ship. Get another type of card that pays you cash or some other benefit. It takes way to long to earn 50,000 points for a crappy 1A room that you end up paying a few hundred dollars for to bring your partner on a 3 day cruise...

1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Basically you travel when they have availability, they pick the room, you pay full rate for the second person, upgrades are on your nickel and some other things I cant recall. You can actually do better buying your way on the ship. Get another type of card that pays you cash or some other benefit. It takes way to long to earn 50,000 points for a crappy 1A room that you end up paying a few hundred dollars for to bring your partner on a 3 day cruise...

You are better off with any card that just lets you purchase certificates. On my cruise, I was able to purchase six - one hundred dollar certificates, then i was able to apply it to the lowest rate possible I was able to find. This gives you much more freedom and lets you still shop for the best rates around.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstader
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are better off with any card that just lets you purchase certificates. On my cruise, I was able to purchase six - one hundred dollar certificates, then i was able to apply it to the lowest rate possible I was able to find. This gives you much more freedom and lets you still shop for the best rates around.
I have a Carnival Sea Miles card that let you buy certificates before and that was a good deal becuase you earned 6% on every dollar and 12% for every dollar you spend on or for a cruise.

Past Cruises:
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Captain

On the credit cards, I agree, RCL card over Carnival Card. Carnival you have to book thru their TA. RCL you can book with whomever you want and then apply the credit to the pay off.

Harder to get a price drop and just limiting to have to use their TA. Costco for instance discounts Carnival, but on RCL they give OBC. If I had to use the Carnival TA, they wouldnt discount my rate below the regular Carnival rate.

Carnival card is only worth getting if you never plan on cruising with another cruiseline, others have better cards.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
On the credit cards, I agree, RCL card over Carnival Card. Carnival you have to book thru their TA. RCL you can book with whomever you want and then apply the credit to the pay off.

Harder to get a price drop and just limiting to have to use their TA. Costco for instance discounts Carnival, but on RCL they give OBC. If I had to use the Carnival TA, they wouldnt discount my rate below the regular Carnival rate.

Carnival card is only worth getting if you never plan on cruising with another cruiseline, others have better cards.
No the Carnival cards let you book with any cruise line. You also dont have to take a cruise you can use it for any vacation or for a flight.

Past Cruises:
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Back to the original question. We always book inside guarantee. We don't even mind the times we have ended up in 1A bunk beds, since the bottom bunk can be made up into a queen bed, just as other cabins. They are slightly smaller, but very adequate and extremely quiet, since they are usually tucked away in an inside corridor.
That said, this last cruise, we booked IS and got a balcony instead!
Marty
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Back to the original question. We always book inside guarantee. We don't even mind the times we have ended up in 1A bunk beds, since the bottom bunk can be made up into a queen bed, just as other cabins. They are slightly smaller, but very adequate and extremely quiet, since they are usually tucked away in an inside corridor.
Marty
Thats a good deal!

Past Cruises:
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Marty
WOW you sure scored on that!!!

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival "ASSIGNED" Rooms?

Quote:
Has anyone ever booked a cruise with he "Carnival ASSIGNED Room" option?

The reason I asked is that I was looking at booking the Legend for next October and the regular room rate (your choice) is $709, while the assigned room option is $629 a savings of 90 bucks.

Anyone?
I noticed that too. I think an assigned room might guarantee a specific room type rather than a type within a class, but I'm not sure. I would call the Carnival 800# and ask. I'm sure it's not a big secret.
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Passenger

I paid for a guaranteed balcony and got an 8E on the panorama deck> So far the assigned room thing is great.
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

When you book and do the carnival assigned room, you do pay for the base amount of a specific room type. However, this opens up te ability for any type of upgrade.

Say you booked the carnival assigned room oceanview on upper deck. You got your room assignment 30 days before you sail and were visited by the upgrade fairy to put you in verandah deck ocean view cabin. This is an upgrade. You could even end up with a balcony or suite.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:29 AM
First Mate

I'll gladly accept an upgrade if I'm so lucky but for now I'm just happy to be booked and know that I'll be sailing away again for 7-days on another great Carnival ship in 338 days!

Old November 21st, 2008, 08:04 AM
Captain

[quote="spencercoopNo the Carnival cards let you book with any cruise line. You also dont have to take a cruise you can use it for any vacation or for a flight.[/quote]

Must be a new type of Carnival card, not the one they push onboard then which Iv heard nothing but complaints about.

Im happy with my RCL card, and dont need another, so the point is moot with me anyway. I hardly charge much, I'm kind of a cash person.

I had a 4A guarantee and got a 4E assignment, my first guarantee on Carnival. My next two cruises, cabins already picked and nailed down. I like guarantees, its like waiting for a surprise package.