CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   return of deposit (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/358442-return-deposit.html)

BrwnEyedGirl November 18th, 2008 02:38 PM

return of deposit

I know what the contract states as far as being penalized for cancellations but has anyone ever got back any penalties for a cruise that was just changed to a different date? We had to reschedule our honeymoon cruise from Oct to Jan 2009 because my husband started a new job now we have to reschedule our Jan cruise till later in 2009 because my Mom will be going under hospice care soon and now we are being charged the deposit again. Just wondering, I know in the past I have seen posts that had numbers to contact managers with customer service. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank You.

spencercoop November 18th, 2008 07:09 PM

I wouldn't think they would chare you the deposit again becuase you are just changing the date of your cruise. But I don't know exactly what the contract states.

Donna November 18th, 2008 09:07 PM

Do you have a travel agent working on this?? If so, they should be able to help you. If the deposit has to credited to your credit card, that could take a few billing periods, but I would think that you wouldn't of been charged another deposit.. Just and FYI, be sure to purchase some kind of travel insurance, you just never know.

BrwnEyedGirl November 19th, 2008 10:57 AM

TA working on it has tried but Carnival won't bend. They told him that I would need to contact Carnival customer service. So, now I'm in the hole $1200- just for changing the cruise dates. We have travel insurance, I have never cruised without it but I'm not sure they would cover the deposit for the issues I have. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had any success with getting any non refundable deposit back from Carnival and if anyone knows of a main number to try and get a hold of some manager or supervisor.

darmstader November 19th, 2008 11:00 AM

Your travel insurance should cover it, contact them~

Kuki November 19th, 2008 11:35 AM

Frankly I don't think you've received much accurate advice above.

I can't imagine insurance would cover cancellation due to a new job. At least I haven't ever used a policy that does.

On rare occassions I've heard of a cruise line bending a rule to refund penalties to reschedule due to a death in the family, but honestly even that is rare.

You can certainly try and plead your case to Customer Service, but in my view it's your Travel Agent who should be carrying your arguement higher up on the Carnival food chain. An agent's job is much more than selling you a cruise. They SHOULD BE your aggressive advocate dealing with the cruise lines when things go wrong. In my view that's what they get paid for!

I'm not they'll have any luck, but they should approach their District Sale Manager , and then continue up the corprorate ladder to at least try and resolve it.

spencercoop November 19th, 2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki

I can't imagine insurance would cover cancellation due to a new job. At least I haven't ever used a policy that does.

On rare occassions I've heard of a cruise line bending a rule to refund penalties to reschedule due to a death in the family, but honestly even that is rare.

You can certainly try and plead your case to Customer Service, but in my view it's your Travel Agent who should be carrying your arguement higher up on the Carnival food chain. An agent's job is much more than selling you a cruise. They SHOULD BE your aggressive advocate dealing with the cruise lines when things go wrong. In my view that's what they get paid for!

I'm not they'll have any luck, but they should approach their District Sale Manager , and then continue up the corprorate ladder to at least try and resolve it.

Why wouldn't your travel insurance refund for a new job. You are paying them to insure your cruise just in case something happens like you cant go. They can't go so their travel insurance should pick that up.

Also it is not that rare for Carnival to refund a cruise for a death. When someone in our family died and we had to cancel her cruise reservation, they refunded it all.

BrwnEyedGirl November 19th, 2008 06:01 PM

Yes, we had to change our cruise date because of a new job and change again due to illness in the family but not a death or death of someone that was cruising with us. I'm just wondering why I have to get hit twice for deposits on cruises that are changed and not cancelled and just wondering if any one out there has had success getting refunds.
Thanks! :)

briguy November 19th, 2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:

Why wouldn't your travel insurance refund for a new job. You are paying them to insure your cruise just in case something happens like you cant go. They can't go so their travel insurance should pick that up.

Also it is not that rare for Carnival to refund a cruise for a death. When someone in our family died and we had to cancel her cruise reservation, they refunded it all.

Maybe I have it wrong but doesnt the travel insurance only kick in if its a covered reason? If so then a new job wouldnt cover it nor would other non essential reasons like my dog will wet the bed, or my sister refuses to pick up my mail etc... insurance companies dont want to pay out for what they may consider trivial reasons..

Donna November 19th, 2008 07:35 PM

I'm just wondering why when changing cruise time, they couldn't just transfer the deposit to the changed one?? Were you still in the time frame where there was no penalty? If so, the deposit on the first one should be credited and then apply to the new one?? I believe any good travel agent can do that.

spencercoop November 19th, 2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe I have it wrong but doesnt the travel insurance only kick in if its a covered reason? If so then a new job wouldnt cover it nor would other non essential reasons like my dog will wet the bed, or my sister refuses to pick up my mail etc... insurance companies dont want to pay out for what they may consider trivial reasons..

But you are paying them. They should at least refund the deposit becuase they can't go becuase of a job. Also like someone else said why wont they just transfer it over.

BobMiller November 20th, 2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by briguy

But you are paying them. They should at least refund the deposit becuase they can't go becuase of a job. Also like someone else said why wont they just transfer it over.

It depends on the policy. You can get a minimal priced policy that is like $30 but has limited coverage or you can get a policy that costs about the same as Carnivals or less and covers changing for any reason even just because you want to. We get the policy that is about half of what Carnival charges an almost everything is covered but there are limits on the reasons you can cancel.

AIG Platinum Plan
Cancel For Any Reason optional coverage!
Cancel For Work Reasons optional coverage!
Insure trip costs up to $100,000 per person
Medical Evacuation Home OR optional coverage of Your Hospital of Choice

ragtiki2005 November 21st, 2008 02:32 AM

AIG, ouch! Can they cover their policies? Bob

Ro November 22nd, 2008 10:34 AM

Bob did you actually ever have a claim for anything with AIG? I did and they refused to pay it so I switched companies.

SeaWench November 22nd, 2008 11:27 AM

We were in a simular situation in October.We didnt have insurance cause I never cancel. We were supposed to go on the Conquest in October for the kids fall break and eneded up moving because the lady we were renting from sold her house and we had to move the same weekend of the cruise.

We lost $1000 but I wanted to switch dates so I wrote CCL Res Admin. At first I got a letter saying they would not let us move money over but they would give us a 1 cat upgrade.
Then just for kicks I called RES ADMIN and asked if out of the kindness of their heart, we could even put half of the lost depost toward something in the future since we sail so much. The gal put me on hold and they eneded up transfering the full $1000 to the ECSTACY in march.
Let me see if I can find that number. It really cant hurt to try.

I completely knew of the penalties as you did, If you just tell them you know about the penlties but please consider. It sure can't hurt. I think going to the department that decides is the way to go

SeaWench November 22nd, 2008 11:33 AM

Ok just dial the regular Carnival number and then ext 70041. That is CCL Res Admin and they decide, Cutomer serbice will always say no. Because they cant decide on that type of stuff.

I was a RES agent for CCL for 5 years and know the in's and outs. Call RES ADMIN EXT 70041

ragtiki2005 November 22nd, 2008 02:46 PM

Ro, I never used AIG but almost did one time. Ended up using CSA instead. AIG is a financial mess. Would stay away from them. Bob

S.S.Oceanlover November 23rd, 2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
I'm just wondering why when changing cruise time, they couldn't just transfer the deposit to the changed one?? Were you still in the time frame where there was no penalty? If so, the deposit on the first one should be credited and then apply to the new one?? I believe any good travel agent can do that.

I think it all depends on when she wanted to make the change. If in fact she made the change when she in the penalty phase then in essense what she was doing was canceling one cruise (lose your deposit) and booked another one. (new deposit required)

For SpenceCoop
I don't think there are too many insurance policies out there that will cover a canceled cruise because of work other than those cancel for any reasons policies.

Bill

Donna November 23rd, 2008 08:39 AM

Yea, I wasn't sure if she was in the "penalty" time or not, makes a big difference..