Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Beginner

Default Ever been on a Hosted Single Cruise? Dazed and Confused

I am down to the wire on deciding on my first cruise. Single and 36 years old. Need some advice on whether the Hosted Singles Cruise is the way to go. Not sure the percent of people on the boat who will be in the same BOAT as me.lol If I don't go on a Hosted Singles Cruise will I spend most of my time around couples, families, and kids. Oh yeah, I am a guy, if that helps with the advice. Has anybody in their 30's been on a 20's/30's Singles Cruise and felt out of place with college kids running around. First time and don't want to feel out of place, but also looking for a singles environment. Eric aka Dazed and Confused
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:40 AM
Admiral

I did one single cruise and hated it. Never again. My impression of the single cruise experience is that it is very much a meet market where people are looking more to hook up than to socialize. I found the atmosphere to be "bizarre" to say the least.

If you want to be in an environment like that (which is o.k.) then a single cruise is for you.

If you want to meet people without the s*xual/romantic expectations, you will probably enjoy a solo cruise or a group cruise without the word "single" in the group's name a lot better. There are all kinds of theme cruises you can take that will give you the best of both worlds. Perhaps you can look into what types of groups are hosting cruises during the time you want to go. Think of your hobbies/interests and then do an Internet search combining your hobby with the word "cruise". You may be surprised what will come up (i.e., "country/western cruise" or "christian cruise")

As for solo cruising, as a single man, you will be adopted by other people and groups on the ship and will have to struggle to spend time alone.

Either way, enjoy.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the honest assesment. At first I was worried about being alone on a large boat, but from the research and good advice like yours, I am pretty much decided on booking my cruise and just being me on vacation with no pressure to speed date with people that may not find me attractive or vice versa.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Captain

I know a lady who did a couple and enjoyed them, but she might be older than you. My impression was women outnumber men, so the odds are in your favor.

The plus I see is they have online chat before the cruise so once you pay for the cruise you have the opportunity to see if you click with anyone. The downside is to me that you have to commit before you know if you click with anyone and cant cancel without penalty. At least that is how the one was I looked at. Im single too.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericlj2772
........ I am pretty much decided on booking my cruise and just being me on vacation with no pressure to speed date with people that may not find me attractive or vice versa.
I Think you will have a blast ! Aren't you considering Freedom to San Juan, St Thomas, Nassau, Tortola BVI, and Antigua? While I haven't been to Tortola, I truly enjoyed the others listed. Regardless of personal interest, there appears to be plenty options available on each of these ports.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:15 PM
First Mate

eric, take it from me. go on a cruise solo, i have done several. you will have a blast. like IB said you will meet plenty of good people if you want. carnival is a good first choice. lots of singles. enjoy.