Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Excursions in Cozumel

I am going to Comumel on the Imaginaion in January and this is my second time there. I have checked the available excursions thru Carnival and am not really finding anything that is really getting my attention.
I know some of you use excursion companies outside of the cruise ship, can anyone recommend anything? I am really open to any suggestions, my husband is not much of a swimmer, though, so that would be a consideration.

thanks!
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Try shoretrips.com Lots of good ideas and very nice people. Have used them many times. Bob
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:19 AM
First Mate

The Fury Catamaran/Snorkel/Beach excursion in great; I've done it twice now!

Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Captain

This last Jan. we rented a jeep, and went to the other side of the island. We went to the light house, and hit all of the great beaches there. It is very easy to get around, and a blast to be away from the crowds. Just a suggestion.
Enjoy whatevere you do.

Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
Passenger

Default Excursions

We have been to Cozumel many times, and the last 3 times think we have figured it out.

We rent a scooter (+/- $25) or a jeep (+/- $65) and take off south. You cant get lost, as there is basically only one road that circles the island. One of our favorite stops is San Francisco Beach Club. Everything you need there...pool, food, drinks, beach, lounges, souveniers, and all you pay for is what you buy....drinks and food!!! Then to chackanab (sp) or to several of the horse back riding places. as you circle the island you see some of the native places and shops.....and also there are dolphin encounters. Start early and you can do several things and still not spend the money that you would on a ship excursion. The locals are really freindly and helpful too!

Bob
Carnival Conquest 2007
Carnival Victory 2006,
Holiday 2004
Sovereign of the Seas (2),
Norwegian Sky 2008
Carnival Glory (11/29/2008),
Ruby Princess (10/25/2009)

Old November 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

We are doing the Playa Mia beach day excurison in June 2009 either alone or by booking it direct with Carnival.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Chakanaab is a park area on the island with a small entrance fee ($12 per person) and they have swimming with the dolphins for an extra price, a great beach, restaurant facilities, etc.

If you can go to Ixcaret across the water on the mainland that is worth it. It is also a public/zoo with an underground river, dolphin experiences, great snorkeling, etc.

The best trip for the culturally aware is to Chichen Itza - a true Mayan City ruin with the ancient ball court and sacrificial pyramid. It requires a plane trip to get there, so I am not sure if they are still offering it, but if they are it is more than worthwhile.

Horseback riding is fun. Cozumel is also a top world destination for Scuba Divers - and you can even do a resort dive if you are in experienced.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Beginner

First, I don't recommend walking into the port and waiting in a line for an excursion. If your going to, make sure you sign up before you get there. In your cabin you actually get an "order" sheet to sign up for excursions per person. There you can explore your options on board. I do highly recommend just relaxing on the beach though. Paradise beach for kids, or Mr. Sancho's for adults and/or good snorkeling thats not too far out.
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to bighairtexan
Default playa mia and cooking class

I've been on just under 40 cruises and recently went on the best excursion of my life at Playa Mia. It was the beach and cooking excursion. My BF NEVER EVER cooks but he went to humor me. You take a nice bus to the beach and first have a cooking class in a very sparkling clean cooking school. And while doing this you get all the beer/wine/pina coladas/margaritas/soda you can drink. Wonderful lunch is cooked. Then we went upstairs and ate our creations w/ more alcohol. We had about 1 1/2 hour left and had full access to the facilities there. Lounge chairs, umbrellas, pool, bars, restaurants. I am telling you I barely remember the trip home but I have lots of pictures to show how much I enjoyed it.
I've recommended it to various ppl since and male or female, young or old, EACH person said it was the best excursion they'd ever been on.
My BF insists on doing it the next time we hit Cozumel.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Familiar Face

Isla de Pasion -- it's all inclusive; not crowded. It's where some of the Corona Beer commercials were filmed. We're going there with our boys in a few weeks. We booked with TourCozumel.

Past Cruises:
CARNIVAL DREAM, 12-23-10
CARNIVAL GLORY, 07-04-09
CARNIVAL ECSTASY, 03-21-09
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-21-08
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-23-07
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Seeway/snoorkling on a very nice beach...really nice.
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

We went to many places in Cozumel. It basically depends on what you want to do -- a land tour or a water tour. If you go to Xcaret, you can get both. :-)
Old December 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Admiral

There are ruins to see and horseback riding.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Familiar Face

One of the things to consider if picking one of the more popular resort areas is the number of ships in port that day. If there are too many, the main ones where the ships excursions go such as Playa Mia, may be overcrowded.

Can't remember the link, but there are a few web sites out there that will show you all ships in port that day.

Carnival Magic - 8/26/2012
Carnival Breeze - 1/19/2013

Conquest - 2011, Oasis B2B - 2011
Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010, Conquest-2009,
Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007,
Conquest-2006, Rhapsody-2005, Vision - 2003,
Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Passenger

Default Re: playa mia and cooking class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairtexan
I've been on just under 40 cruises and recently went on the best excursion of my life at Playa Mia. It was the beach and cooking excursion. My BF NEVER EVER cooks but he went to humor me. You take a nice bus to the beach and first have a cooking class in a very sparkling clean cooking school. And while doing this you get all the beer/wine/pina coladas/margaritas/soda you can drink. Wonderful lunch is cooked. Then we went upstairs and ate our creations w/ more alcohol. We had about 1 1/2 hour left and had full access to the facilities there. Lounge chairs, umbrellas, pool, bars, restaurants. I am telling you I barely remember the trip home but I have lots of pictures to show how much I enjoyed it.
I've recommended it to various ppl since and male or female, young or old, EACH person said it was the best excursion they'd ever been on.
My BF insists on doing it the next time we hit Cozumel.
We did this same tour, lots of fun. I'm not much for the beach, and returned to the ship after the class. It was a lot of fun, went with DIL, son just did the other things there. I think he would have enjoyed the class, he kept looking in on the class through the window. Great fun.
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to wildcrazyatver

We went last feb to cozumel and did the fury catamaran and had a blast but this feb we will be doing the twister ride i herd its a great time so we disided to do that
have fun no matter what you do
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Passenger

On our last trip we just rented a car and toured the island. It's not for the faint of heart, but I loved it! We drove out to one of the light houses, saw crocs and ruins, ate some wonderful homemade food. But driving in the town can be a little scarry. Also, the side of the island with rough water has some errosion problems so you have to take it slow, but the views are completely worth it!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

passion island is awesome. Good food and drinks that are included. There is a great beach, even if your husband didn't want to get in the water. Plus there is shopping and massage cabanas right on the beach.
Mariner of the seas 2008
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Familiar Face

Passion Island was fabulous when we went a few weeks ago during our Christmas cruise on the Conquest. The seas were still very rough and it was a little cool, but such a beautiful place. Awesome guacamole and chips, chicken, drinks....my boys loved it and so did hubby and I. Can't wait to go back next year.

Past Cruises:
CARNIVAL DREAM, 12-23-10
CARNIVAL GLORY, 07-04-09
CARNIVAL ECSTASY, 03-21-09
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-21-08
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-23-07