Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to dcgowens
Default Jamaica Excursions - HELP!

Does anyone have any suggestions for excursions in Jamaica. I am traveling w/my whole family. We have grandparents, and 4 young children in our group. I am starting to worry about what we are going to do in Jamaica? I've done some research and I can't seem to find any excursions that sound good for us. We would like to swim on the beaches and whatever else. We would like to do something in a group. I keep reading about the crime in Jamaica and how the locals try to sell drugs to the tourists. I am getting nervous about going there. Any suggestions would be great!
Ecstasy - December 2006
Ecstasy - December 2007
Conquest - December 2008
Ecstasy - December 2010
Magic - December 2011
Magic - August 2012
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Which city do you port in Ocho Rios, or Montego Bay?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to dcgowens
Default Montego Bay

We port in Montego Bay.
Ecstasy - December 2006
Ecstasy - December 2007
Conquest - December 2008
Ecstasy - December 2010
Magic - December 2011
Magic - August 2012
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Sorry I can't help you. I have never been to Montego Bay but I have been to Ocho Rios.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Admiral

You "could" do Dunns River Falls, if the grandparents are fit, ans the kids are willing...make sure you all wear rubber soled beach shoes, because it can get slippery on the way up and down..there are also stairs that can be used to walk up the falls. Do research, and, ask, if this is something the older cruisers want to do...

You could also so a Rose Hall Plantation tour, here is a link to check it out.
http://www.jamaica-tour.com/rose-hall-great-house.htm
This could be interesting...

I will be honest with you, and up front, and say my last cruise stopped in Montego Bay, and it was the last time I will go to Jamacia.. We did an island tour there, and most of the time we, and many others never got off the bus....they took us to a strip mall, with a jewelry store, to Margarittaville, where a drug deal went down a few feet away from me, and the place was dirty...A craft area, that was set up a rocky hill, and didn't seem worth the walk, honestly.

I guess, after several cruises here, I have seen all I want to, and will stay onboard, if it's on the itinerary..When we were on Ochos Rios, I must admit we did have some nice excursions.

Check to see what the ship offers, as this is a port, to my mind, and jmho, where that taking the ships excursion is a good thing...

Old December 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Is there a nice safe beach to hang for the day? It sounds like the ensenada of the Caribbean.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Familiar Face

Doctor's Cove Beach is nice and it's full of folks from the cruise ships. It's very close to the port too.

Past Cruises:
CARNIVAL DREAM, 12-23-10
CARNIVAL GLORY, 07-04-09
CARNIVAL ECSTASY, 03-21-09
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-21-08
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-23-07
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
You "could" do Dunns River Falls, if the grandparents are fit, ans the kids are willing...make sure you all wear rubber soled beach shoes, because it can get slippery on the way up and down..there are also stairs that can be used to walk up the falls. Do research, and, ask, if this is something the older cruisers want to do...

You could also so a Rose Hall Plantation tour, here is a link to check it out.
http://www.jamaica-tour.com/rose-hall-great-house.htm
This could be interesting...

I will be honest with you, and up front, and say my last cruise stopped in Montego Bay, and it was the last time I will go to Jamacia.. We did an island tour there, and most of the time we, and many others never got off the bus....they took us to a strip mall, with a jewelry store, to Margarittaville, where a drug deal went down a few feet away from me, and the place was dirty...A craft area, that was set up a rocky hill, and didn't seem worth the walk, honestly.

I guess, after several cruises here, I have seen all I want to, and will stay onboard, if it's on the itinerary..When we were on Ochos Rios, I must admit we did have some nice excursions.

Check to see what the ship offers, as this is a port, to my mind, and jmho, where that taking the ships excursion is a good thing...
I have done the Dunns river falls and it was so much fun. But I think it is a 3 hour bus ride from Montego Bay, but I am not positive.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

when i went to jamaica we done a little private tour that the asst cruise director put together it wasnt too expensive because it wasnt offered by carnival but they made it that way because we went to margaritaville. we had a cheeseburger in paradise and slid down the slide numerous times. this was back in 2005 so i was 14 and my sister was 10. but the asst cruise director was the one that made arrangements for us to go. i dont recommend doing much shopping here because i myself was definitely scared there but the slide and trampolines at margaritaville was just a ton of fun! Whatever you choose have a ton of fun =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old December 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Dunns River is available by Carnival, for cruisers who port in Montego Bay..The ride is an hour and a half, so, round trip 3 hours...I know my kids loved it when they went there on their honeymoon, and it's popularity makes it a favorite excursion...for many though, it is taxing, and the good thing is, the stairs available for those who need, or want it..

Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Familiar Face

You may want to hire a private driver and do a tour on your own. With the various ages some activities may not be suitable. We hired a private driver in Puerto Rico a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. The driver was very proud of his country and liked to show us sights that not all tourists see. It may a good option for Jamiaca as well.

Last time I was in MoBay we did a snorkle sail - which should have been good but they even hassled me on the sailboat to braid my hair (this was a ship's excursion too!).

I will be in MoBay in January, and I think we will hire a driver to see a bit more of the countryside (which looks beautiful BTW) and stay away from anywhere where tourists gather. The potential to be hassled for drugs and hairbraiding is just too much there.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartisst
Doctor's Cove Beach is nice and it's full of folks from the cruise ships. It's very close to the port too.
Thanks for the advice it looks pretty good. I wish I was there now.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

We stopped in Ocho Rios and took a catamaran to the falls. Going up the falls was a blast. Back then (2002) they had guides in places to assist you up the falls. If you do the falls, make sure you wear either Teva type sandals or aqua socks. I do not think they will let you go barefoot. At the top of the falls, there were Jamaicans begging for tips, so you can either walk away from them or have a few extra one dollar bills handy. Otherwise, I would stay away from the towns, walking the streets. I don't think you would be missing much. Another suggestion would be to do a Carnival Excursion to the beach. Usually the beach would be reserved for Carnival Guests. Good Luck!

Old December 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Jamaica doesn't deserve such a bad reputation. I have lived here now for one year and I feel safer here than in South Florida.
There are lots of things to do in Montego Bay. Go to tripadvisor montego bay.com and look at the highest ratings tours.
I would recommend a river tour(tubing, kayaking or bamboo rafting) over the beach. Doctor's cave beach is a nice beach, but not that great. Plus it will crowded on a cruise ship day.
Barrett Tours.com is a very nice company that will take care of a group booking and cater to any special requests you may have.