Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Upgrade ferry smiled on me

Just got an upgrade on the Glory for the Christmas cruise from a balcony to a junior suite for $150 a person. Worth it just for the VIP boarding and avoiding the lineups.
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Captain

the deal is good but I wouldnt consider it an upgrade if you have to pay for it...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old December 3rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
the deal is good but I wouldnt consider it an upgrade if you have to pay for it...
I agree... when we booked our balcony cabin, we upgraded ourselves for about 80 pp (which was really good I thought), but it had nothing to do with any fairies....
By the way, do love the VIP lines...
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Admiral

The room is bigger, will have a bigger balcony, most suites usually have a walk in closet. It will also have a tub and I am pretty sure it will also have double sinks.

So if you like everything I just named, it is worth it!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Admiral

We just got upgraded from an 8B to an 8C because our Glory cruise went down in price. We are sailing March 28th...Since I paid in full when I booked it CCL also gave me 160.00 back on my CC. So I got an upgrade and money back!! WOOHOO
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Terri&Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkolln
We just got upgraded from an 8B to an 8C because our Glory cruise went down in price. We are sailing March 28th...Since I paid in full when I booked it CCL also gave me 160.00 back on my CC. So I got an upgrade and money back!! WOOHOO
How did you get upgraded? Just a phone call out of the blue or did y ou have to call? Can this happen at any time?

#2 Carnival Legend ~ Dec 2008
#1 Holland America Zuiderdam ~ Nov 2007
"If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right."
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Admiral

have to tell you the title of this post made me : "Upgrade ferry smiled on me" I immediately pictured an upgrade from a tugboat to an actual ferry.

how did you find out about the upgrade? did they show it on your online reservation? curious, as I am praying for the upgrade fairy to sprinkle some good ole sparkly upgrades on us for our Feb 22 Carnival cruise.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msblackjack
have to tell you the title of this post made me : "Upgrade ferry smiled on me" I immediately pictured an upgrade from a tugboat to an actual ferry.

how did you find out about the upgrade? did they show it on your online reservation? curious, as I am praying for the upgrade fairy to sprinkle some good ole sparkly upgrades on us for our Feb 22 Carnival cruise.
They called me and asked if I wanted to upgrade for $250 a person and I said no thanks. 2 days later they called back and offered it to me for $150 a person and I said yes.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

What I did was I checked online on a TA website to see what the price was that day....and saw it went down 200.00. You can go to any TA website and pretend like you are booking a cruise to get the pricing. Our pricing was the military discount so I had to go and put that discount in too and it showed me a lower price then I previously paid. I'm not sure if I can give out the TA website I used so if you want to know just PM me or email me. Normally TA's don't discount their cruises online and they normally match what Carnival would price it at.

So I called my PVP at Carnival...the person whom I booked with directly at Carnival..and asked her to check the pricing as I thought it had gone down. She looked it up and said "OH MY" and then proceeded to give us an upgrade and 160.00 off on our credit card.

Our cruise doesn't leave til March 28th so I'm still in the no penalty phase plus I paid in full when I booked November 1st, therefore they could only give me the upgrade and the money equal to what the price went down. I was told if it does go down again...then to call again. Once I'm into the final payment date and beyond I should be able to get an OBC (onboard credit) instead.

If you think it's gone down then just call the PVP you booked with at Carnival. My PVP's phone number and direct extension is on my confirmation I received. Heck I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask so I just called her! Boy was I surprised. I've never done that before either.
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkolln
What I did was I checked online on a TA website to see what the price was that day....and saw it went down 200.00. You can go to any TA website and pretend like you are booking a cruise to get the pricing. Our pricing was the military discount so I had to go and put that discount in too and it showed me a lower price then I previously paid. I'm not sure if I can give out the TA website I used so if you want to know just PM me or email me. Normally TA's don't discount their cruises online and they normally match what Carnival would price it at.

So I called my PVP at Carnival...the person whom I booked with directly at Carnival..and asked her to check the pricing as I thought it had gone down. She looked it up and said "OH MY" and then proceeded to give us an upgrade and 160.00 off on our credit card.

Our cruise doesn't leave til March 28th so I'm still in the no penalty phase plus I paid in full when I booked November 1st, therefore they could only give me the upgrade and the money equal to what the price went down. I was told if it does go down again...then to call again. Once I'm into the final payment date and beyond I should be able to get an OBC (onboard credit) instead.

If you think it's gone down then just call the PVP you booked with at Carnival. My PVP's phone number and direct extension is on my confirmation I received. Heck I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask so I just called her! Boy was I surprised. I've never done that before either.
i wonder if this works if you go thru a travel agent...

Tho my cruise in Jan is showing more than 200.00 pp more than i paid for it, so i doubt i'll get money back lol (carnival was a lot more expensive than my travel agent, in the form of port charges and taxes, almost like free taxes and port charges. I do try to book with groups and i did this time too...some group on the carnival chat site...i dont even know them lol)
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

I called Carnival last week and again last night to see if the price of my cruise dropped. It did not unfortunately, but the PVP told me some interesting news. He said even if the price did drop, Carnival is no longer giving any OBC's, only upgrades. He said it just came down to them, that Carnival made a business decision on not to give any money back. Has anyone else heard of this? I guess we'll all be seeing much more of the upgrade fairies.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old December 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Plunger
I called Carnival last week and again last night to see if the price of my cruise dropped. It did not unfortunately, but the PVP told me some interesting news. He said even if the price did drop, Carnival is no longer giving any OBC's, only upgrades. He said it just came down to them, that Carnival made a business decision on not to give any money back. Has anyone else heard of this? I guess we'll all be seeing much more of the upgrade fairies.
I heard this too...but only if you are past final payment. Since I wasn't past final payment yet (and outside the penalty phase) they upgraded me AND gave me a credit to my credit card. I don't know if that is the norm though. I did pay in full when I booked the cruise though too.